Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

There's still no excuse. If this has absolutely zero baring then why even have the combine? They don't make them do pull-ups so they can see how much armpit hair each prospect has.

I'd love to have known how many Patrick Kane could do at 17? Actually, I'd love to know how many he could do now! how about Gretzky?

Valid point for sure. Do you think that Reinhart will also have to change his body type? He is 6'1" and needs some bulk but looks to have really long arms. Thoughts?

It's the same but a matter of degrees. Reinhart needs to put on 10-15 lbs, less than 5-8% of his body weight. Bennett needs to put on 20-25 lbs, or 10-15% of his body weight. So, while Reinhart will have to change like everyone else, his needs are about half relative to Bennett. Again, just a data point. A single secondary factor among dozens.

It's the same but a matter of degrees. Reinhart needs to put on 10-15 lbs, less than 5-8% of his body weight. Bennett needs to put on 20-25 lbs, or 10-15% of his body weight. So, while Reinhart will have to change like everyone else, his needs are about half relative to Bennett. Again, just a data point. A single secondary factor among dozens.

Makes sense. I also think it might be easier for Reinhart to translate his game to the NHL. Of course Timmy once said he wasn't sure if Reinhart was the smartest guy on the ice because he was that good or because he was playing inferior competition so again something to wonder about.

I must say after watching the Reinhart and Bennett interviews from the draft, seeing their fitness tests, and postulating on it over night, Sam Bennett are Sam Reinhart are neck and neck. I honestly no longer have a true favorite. 25days from now I will.

top 10 Pull-Ups Pos. Name Total 1 JOSHUA HO-SANG 13 2 BRETT LERNOUT 12 3 JAYCE HAWRYLUK 12 4 ALEXANDER PETERS 12 5 DAVID PASTRNAK 12 6 ANTHONY DEANGELO 11 7 CHASE DE LEO 11 8 MATHESON IACOPELLI 11 9 SONNY MILANO 11 10 FRANCIS PERRON 11

Funny, when I was 17, I felt embarrassed I could only do 12.

Edited by X. Benedict

There's still no excuse. If this has absolutely zero baring then why even have the combine? They don't make them do pull-ups so they can see how much armpit hair each prospect has.

Pull ups were new to the combine this year, no? They were irrelevant enough to not be part of the combine as recently as last season.

Meh.

top 10 Pull-Ups Pos. Name Total 1 JOSHUA HO-SANG 13 2 BRETT LERNOUT 12 3 JAYCE HAWRYLUK 12 4 ALEXANDER PETERS 12 5 DAVID PASTRNAK 12 6 ANTHONY DEANGELO 11 7 CHASE DE LEO 11 8 MATHESON IACOPELLI 11 9 SONNY MILANO 11 10 FRANCIS PERRON 11

Funny, when I was 17, I felt embarrassed I could only do 12.

So, the pullup numbers mean all of these guys will have better NHL careers than Bennett? :rolleyes:

We think about this very differently. The question isn't how many pounds Bennett has to put on, the question is do the players in Bennett's weight class succeed. If you look at my chart for Bennett, he sits right in the middle of 7 players, Evander Kane, Huberdeau, Nugent-Hopkins, Bennett, Phillips, Seguin, Brassard, and Stajan. It's only RNH who is very much lighter than the rest, well, Huberdeau is lighter as well. The Bennett group size are slightly different players than the group the Reinhart is in, well below Hall, just above Voracek and Loui Eriksson.

You don't find many bargains in either group in later rounds (there is lots of correlation between their play as 17 year olds, and their NHL play) either they score enough, or they don't, so it isn't where you take a 4th rounder.

I'm fine with Bennett, I'm OK with Reinhart, I think Murray is picking Draisaitl. What interests me with these charts is that it says that Barbashev's a hockey player, and at least one of those guys is getting to the second round.

As I've said before, what bothers me about thinking about pullups as data points, or the dozen of other things, is that there's no connection between previous players and the success they have, so the metrics come from thin air.

post-2405-0-81219000-1401725998_thumb.png

post-2405-0-02951200-1401726034_thumb.png

I do pull ups for hockey because they keep my joints strong. When I first started playing hockey I couldn't do any and I also had a tendency to hurt my wrists/elbows/shoulders battling for the puck.

That pull-up motion is similar to doing curls, and that motion is similar to doing a stick lift. You gotta have that arm strength to strip the puck. He's going to have a lot of work to do on his upper body strength.

I do pull ups for hockey because they keep my joints strong. When I first started playing hockey I couldn't do any and I also had a tendency to hurt my wrists/elbows/shoulders battling for the puck.

That pull-up motion is similar to doing curls, and that motion is similar to doing a stick lift. You gotta have that arm strength to strip the puck. He's going to have a lot of work to do on his upper body strength.

good point.

Can't do one pull-up? I'm worried about lifting sticks and winning draws.

Yeah, pullups do require a "reach" after all. :lol:

Anyone else remember the Presidental Phyiscal Fitness Test you'd do in gym class once a year? Other than the fat kid, everyone could do at least one pullup.

I was a tooth pick and I couldn't do a pull up until college...

now I can do 10-15...but I always start my workouts with pullups. If I were to do them anywhere else in my workout routine, I'd probably get 5 maybe 8 max.

Anyone else remember the Presidental Phyiscal Fitness Test you'd do in gym class once a year? Other than the fat kid, everyone could do at least one pullup.

We didn't do the pull up in ours. We did the hang from the top of the pull up. Also we did the rope climb and dips and push ups. I think everything else was running.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.