Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

The rebuild will need FAs to supplement the draft choices. Pittsburgh and Chicago did not become a popular destination until Crosby, Malkin, Toews and Kane arrived. Detroit's success over the past 20 years is a phenomenal recruiting tool.

The Sabres have tried recruiting FAs with variable success. The talent that comes with picking at the top of the draft should help change the perception of Buffalo.

Yeah, cuz getting Hall, Noogie, and Yak has really helped lure players to Edmonton.

Appreciating the successful teams and what they do to become and maintain their success is "ball washing?" A great example of the petty jealousies I referred to. I'm sure you have more examples in you. Keep them coming. :thumbsup:

A 3rd pairing defenseman and a #1 center is a pretty decent draft the Bruins had in 2003.

The Sabres drafted Vanek a 1st line winger and MacArthur a 2/3rd line winger in that same draft. That is a pretty decent draft the Sabres had in 2003.

But back to this draft. One of the issues the Edmonton Oilers have is that the first overall players they have selected are softer and smaller.

RNH 6' 180lbs (seems low but thats what it says)

Eberle 5'11" 181lbs

Yak 5'10" 190lbs

Hall 6' 194lbs

None of them I would really call gritty. They don't have any depth really. GT and Defense is almost non existent. The issue with Oilers isn't that they selected first overall but that they failed in the same way regier did, they aren't building a team they are just collecting random pieces.

The loss tonight guarantees that the Sabres can finish no better than sixth place which locks up, at least, the seventh overall pick. If the Sabres keep the pick then it would be the highest selection the team has made since taking Vanek 5th overall in 2003.

The team has drafted 7th overall or better nine times: Thomas Vanek (5th in 2003), Erik Rasmussen (7th in 1996), Pierre Turgeon (1st in 1987), Shawn Anderson (5th in 1986), Tom Barrasso (5th in 1983), Phil Housley (6th in 1982), Jim Schoenfeld (5th in 1972), Rick Martin (5th in 1971) and Gilbert Perreault (1st in 1970).

Should have taken Bergeron.

Good question, I'm not sure but thinking it was around then.

I only bring it up because the drafts from 2004 - 2011 would be interesting to look at through that lens. If Video scouting was used and was less successful for instance. Just a random Monday thought.

I only bring it up because the drafts from 2004 - 2011 would be interesting to look at through that lens. If Video scouting was used and was less successful for instance. Just a random Monday thought.

Google led me to this link, quotes a THN article from 2012

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1234791

Oh, thanks Crusader, I want to let you know I do read your stuff

Edited by rakish

The loss tonight guarantees that the Sabres can finish no better than sixth place which locks up, at least, the seventh overall pick. If the Sabres keep the pick then it would be the highest selection the team has made since taking Vanek 5th overall in 2003.

The team has drafted 7th overall or better nine times: Thomas Vanek (5th in 2003), Erik Rasmussen (7th in 1996), Pierre Turgeon (1st in 1987), Shawn Anderson (5th in 1986), Tom Barrasso (5th in 1983), Phil Housley (6th in 1982), Jim Schoenfeld (5th in 1972), Rick Martin (5th in 1971) and Gilbert Perreault (1st in 1970).

I'm still pissed that we took Pierre Turgeon #1 overall instead of Brendan Shanahan in 1987... had we picked Shanny, I think we'd have fewer suspensions these days. ;)

Google led me to this link, quotes a THN article from 2012

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1234791

Oh, thanks Crusader, I want to let you know I do read your stuff

Interesting. I guess I would change the focus then and ponder if the video scouting from 2003-2011 when TPegs took over had us drafting different then 2011-2013 when we had both video scouting and a massive scouting department. I am trying to nail down how much influence having more scouts actually watching prospects for more than 2-3 games has had. Maybe it is something that can't be answered at this time.

Interesting. I guess I would change the focus then and ponder if the video scouting from 2003-2011 when TPegs took over had us drafting different then 2011-2013 when we had both video scouting and a massive scouting department. I am trying to nail down how much influence having more scouts actually watching prospects for more than 2-3 games has had. Maybe it is something that can't be answered at this time.

Let me further expound on yesterday's idea. Let's say you were drafting from the Buffalo Sabres to a higher league. If you look at the stats, you'd say Hodgson was young, good scorer, defensive zone problems, so in a word, he's OK. If you had one of his supporters watch 82 games, they'd say Hodgson is great. If you ask me, I'd say don't draft him. I don't either scout gets to the core value of Cody Hodgson by watching him more, because that's not how perception works. I think counter-intuitively, we love and hate more, and we value less.

The victory by Ottawa tonight clinches a bottom five finish and a top six pick (barring movement).

Narrowing the list from above:

The team has drafted 6th overall or better eight times: Thomas Vanek (5th in 2003), Pierre Turgeon (1st in 1987), Shawn Anderson (5th in 1986), Tom Barrasso (5th in 1983), Phil Housley (6th in 1982), Jim Schoenfeld (5th in 1972), Rick Martin (5th in 1971) and Gilbert Perreault (1st in 1970).

Interesting, when looking at that list, that the Sabres have NEVER drafted 2nd, 3rd or 4th overall. Either 1st or 5th and below.

NHL version of Calgary hockey also went to overtime.

Calgary won which puts them 19 points ahead of Buffalo.

Calgary wins in a SO now 4 points ahead of the Islanders.

Haven't really thought about doing a tank update for the Isles pick...

They currently have 63 points with 11 games left which means they can max out at 85 points. Haven't officially been eliminated from the playoffs yet, so they could still pick as low as 29.

I still like Reinhart with our 1st pick. Doesn't do anything flashy just makes solid plays and makes the other players around him better.

I think a player that makes other players could be a *key* asset for the Sabres. The question is if he can turn AHL players into NHL players.

I still like Reinhart with our 1st pick. Doesn't do anything flashy just makes solid plays and makes the other players around him better.

i agree. In my ideal world the NYI do not defer and we draft Reinhart/Bennett and Dal Colle. That could be your Toews and Kane of the future.

i agree. In my ideal world the NYI do not defer and we draft Reinhart/Bennett and Dal Colle. That could be your Toews and Kane of the future.

In a way I hope NYI let us draft this year. I would draft 2 offensive players in the top 6 and then who knows what happens to the Blues/Miller pick. Murray could use the Blues pick plus a second or two to land another 1st rounder in the 10-20 range. I know people think they will be bad next year. I just don't think Snow is going to sit back and do nothing. He is already in hot water over that trade I think he would be happy if they finish 8-15 next year.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.