Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

TSN intermission: BobMcKenzie just said Murray has spent the past week out west, watching Draisaitl and Reinhart play in person at least three times each.

Also said he would consider moving Myers in deal that involved another top five pick.

I would be down with trading Myers for a top 5 pick. Take Ekblad #1 and then get either Bennett or Reinhart. Win win in my book. I like Myers but it would make total sense and u get a young stud on defense.

I would be down with trading Myers for a top 5 pick. Take Ekblad #1 and then get either Bennett or Reinhart. Win win in my book. I like Myers but it would make total sense and u get a young stud on defense.

That would assume we get the second pick. But I wouldn't want to do it. I don't think Ekblad will be as good as Myers. Would rather just take Reinhart and keep Myers.

TSN intermission: BobMcKenzie just said Murray has spent the past week out west, watching Draisaitl and Reinhart play in person at least three times each.

Also said he would consider moving Myers in deal that involved another top five pick.

Playing the Lottery <2:23>

Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie looks ahead to the NHL Draft Lottery and which teams are in position to hopefully snag the coveted first pick.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Wait a minute, i never said Ekblad for Connor alone. I said "bait." Clearly it would also be the Sabres 2015 1st and maybe St. Louis' and NYI's first rounders. Just an idea and not nuts when you consider the differnce between Ekblad and Bennett or SR.

The 2014 draft is weak. And if the goal is to tank and get Connor, and when there might be expansion in 2015 (changing draft orders), you need to think outside the box.

The point is that nobody is going to trade the first pick next year. Period. You either win the lottery or you don't.

Sorry man but it is nuts. Nobody is trading out of taking Connor mcdavid. Nobody.

As others have mentioned there isn't any "bait" for Connor McDavid. The team who gets that first overall pick just has to decide how quickly they can rush the stage to make it. You could offer them Ekblad and some 1st rounders but unless you go Myers, Ekblad, Risto, Hodgson, your 1st, Girgensons... no team will even stay on the line long enough for you finish the sentence "We'd like to trade you for your first overall..."

Moving Myers would be interesting. You would have to get more than a top 5 pick in return but I could see GMTM pulling the trigger if either top level prospects were also involved or some NHL ready forwards.

You couldn't trade Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, and Draisaitl combined for the top pick in 2015. This post is completely unrealistic. Also the rest of your assumption that we would be drafting a "project forward" is highly questionable. It is extremely rare for a 1st overall pick to miss and it really hasn't happened in the last decade unless you count the defenders taken first overall.

Trade Ekblad for the first overall in 2015... go home you're drunk.

I would do it if I had the top pick in 2015. Instant team. It's how Colorado was built.

Since I'm not able to follow these prospects or project what they can become I'm curious if anyone would trade the #1 overall for Eric Stall. Rumor is he is available. I'm sure it would need to be a package of some sort but do these guys at the top of the draft project to be better than Stall?

Since I'm not able to follow these prospects or project what they can become I'm curious if anyone would trade the #1 overall for Eric Stall. Rumor is he is available. I'm sure it would need to be a package of some sort but do these guys at the top of the draft project to be better than Stall?

Next year will be on the wrong side of 30 for this team. The Sabres are looking for players 25 and younger, to develop together.

No. I wouldn't. He's not old, by any means, at 29... But we need a long-term answer... Not one that's only under control for two years at $8.25 million.

Eric Staal is the perfect player to get that will make you decent enough to not get any of next year's elite prospects yet not good enough to actually do anything positive.

If the Sabres were a year or two away for being a legitimate cup contender absolutely, but right now as pointed out in previous posts they need to build through youth first.

No. I wouldn't. He's not old, by any means, at 29... But we need a long-term answer... Not one that's only under control for two years at $8.25 million.

Eric Staal is the perfect player to get that will make you decent enough to not get any of next year's elite prospects yet not good enough to actually do anything positive.

He's making that much? Holy crap. That deal was signed awhile ago too.

And here my friends is the first entry in the "let's find a creative way to tank next year" club. Carolina will only be the first team thinking of making "major" changes with the hope of entering the TANK NATION CHASE!

My guess is that while this year there were 4 teams fighting for the basement before the Islanders entered the derby only to see Buffalo "pull" away, next year you will see 8 teams starting the chase with 3 or 4 others entering around trade deadline day.

And here my friends is the first entry in the "let's find a creative way to tank next year" club. Carolina will only be the first team thinking of making "major" changes with the hope of entering the TANK NATION CHASE!

My guess is that while this year there were 4 teams fighting for the basement before the Islanders entered the derby only to see Buffalo "pull" away, next year you will see 8 teams starting the chase with 3 or 4 others entering around trade deadline day.

I don't think a team like the Canes can be obvious about a tank. I was talking to some Canes season ticket holders about tanking at the game here last week and they did not even remotely understand the concept. Tickets are a tough sell as it is down here, if it became obvious that they were tanking fans would stay away in droves.

I don't think a team like the Canes can be obvious about a tank. I was talking to some Canes season ticket holders about tanking at the game here last week and they did not even remotely understand the concept. Tickets are a tough sell as it is down here, if it became obvious that they were tanking fans would stay away in droves.

Maybe a difference between the casual fan and the die hard? Die hard fans will root for the team to lose in order for the team to get better and win and will generally stick around. Casual fans won't make that connection and will be scared away by losing?

If so, that could be a concept that helps us: Florida, Nashville, and Carolina are all bottom eight. How can we possibly not tank if they're trying to win?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Good, if they have any worthwhile assets I hope Murray can trade for them and speed up the rebuild process. Although Murray will probably be spotted another year before heavy scrutiny sets in I'm betting he would love to turn this thing around much quicker than anticipated!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.