Will the Bills and Sabres Shuffle Out of Buffalo?

26CornerBlitz

The article is a tad over dramatic but all in all pretty well written. It's not easy being a Buffalo sports fan and obviously this guy has some passion. Like many of us on here we are no longer in the Buffalo area. I have personally lived in the Tampa area for the past 17 years. Buffalo sports is in my blood. Good or bad I wouldn't want it any other way.

I really, truly believe that it is inevitable that the Bills are leaving Buffalo. I'm not sure it is as close as next season, but I can't see the team staying with an outdated stadium and the lack of corporate support in western NY. Maybe that is part of the reason I am not emotionally invested in the team any more. I don't think they are here for the long haul.

The Sabres on the other hand, have an up-to-date facility and an owner committed to Buffalo. And there really is no better market for hockey that doesn't already have a team. I can't see the Sabres leaving.

as soon as I saw it was from Portland, OR... I got annoyed. Then the first two paragraphs annoyed me further with the writer trying way to hard to find strange words to get his point across to show he's smarter than everyone else. Needless to say I didn't read past the first page... I don't think i'm missing anything.

The question with regard to the Sabres is ridiculous with Pegula around and all of the money he's investing in the community.

Ted has pretty consistently poured cold water on the idea of Pegula's weatlh being available to the franchise forever. He has explained various business decisions by pointing to the need to keep the franchise viable for future owners. Terry himself said he might need to invest some money in the short term to get the operation working the way he wants it. Then it goes to the kids, I think. Terry's comment about Ted surviving beyond his ownership is pretty intriguing and could certainly support the notion that the plan is to hand off to the kids someday.

Scott Brown of Channel 2 was certainly on the story from day one, and Terry pointed toward his kids when asked how long he'd own the team. In the final analysis, maybe even starting now, I think of the Sabres as a small-market franchise again, whereas Terry's initial statements made a lot of people think money would never be an object. And that will always make their existence dicy.

10 years from now Buffalo will be better than right now Buffalo and include more ppl and more money. UB and Independent Health are major Economic Engines for the area. The new medical corridor is also good news for DT. On top of that the Sabres have stable ownership and only an idiot would move such a popular team. The Bills have rabid fans as well and after 12 years of crap they are finally start to gain the lost ones back. Buffalo isn't dying anymore, IMPO it is starting the long upswing.

10 years from now Buffalo will be better than right now Buffalo and include more ppl and more money. UB and Independent Health are major Economic Engines for the area. The new medical corridor is also good news for DT. On top of that the Sabres have stable ownership and only an idiot would move such a popular team. The Bills have rabid fans as well and after 12 years of crap they are finally start to gain the lost ones back. Buffalo isn't dying anymore, IMPO it is starting the long upswing.

It's improved greatly in the nine years I've been here.

Weave, I don't even think it's inevitable the Bills leave. I do, however, fully expect to be bent over with a new stadium ransom to keep them here.

Maybe, but I'm skeptical. There won't be any public money for a stadium anytime soon, and private money isn't going to be interested because the revenue won't be there to make the investment worthwhile.

Maybe, but I'm skeptical. There won't be any public money for a stadium anytime soon, and private money isn't going to be interested because the revenue won't be there to make the investment worthwhile.

Not sure why you think there won't be public or private money. The NFL itself will cover a large chunk of the cost ($100-200 million I believe, but I could be off on that), and the county/state already have been fronting $100 million or so every time the lease gets renewed.

Not sure why you think there won't be public or private money. The NFL itself will cover a large chunk of the cost ($100-200 million I believe, but I could be off on that), and the county/state already have been fronting $100 million or so every time the lease gets renewed.

The NFL -- i.e. the other 31 owners -- are just going to give the Bills $100MM - $200MM? That doesn't sound right. They might lend the Bills the money, but that means the debt service has to be covered via stadium revenues.

And I appreciate that the county has funded a couple of rounds of renovations at $100MM or so, but with a stadium costing at least $750MM, we're still about $500MM short even if the NFL is generous. There is no way a WNY stadium will generate enough revenue to cover the debt service on $600MM - $700MM in borrowed money.

And really if both teams go.........Who the hell really cares. With the loss of Industry and jobs, wage and benefit cuts for those left, that are fortunate enough to be working. Higher taxes for residents here, to cover for those residents who have gone, Schools closing, Hospitals closing. SERIOUSLY, Buffalo residents are worried about teams leaving, when it all boils down, who really cares. They both SUCK anyways, in two ways. They SUCK you dry for new updates to the stadiums and everything associated with that, Parking, Food and Beer sales. They SUCK you dry for tickets, sports gear, TV subscriptions. And they SUCK Period on the playing field and Ice. Come on people, buffalonians have bigger fish to fry, than to be worried about the sports teams leaving town. I do have an idea, though, play the same card as Corporate America, "Pay them for performance". I think if we adjusted the rates of admission, based on the quality of the performance. We could all go see the Bills and the Sabres for next to nothing if not free.

The NFL -- i.e. the other 31 owners -- are just going to give the Bills $100MM - $200MM? That doesn't sound right. They might lend the Bills the money, but that means the debt service has to be covered via stadium revenues.

And I appreciate that the county has funded a couple of rounds of renovations at $100MM or so, but with a stadium costing at least $750MM, we're still about $500MM short even if the NFL is generous. There is no way a WNY stadium will generate enough revenue to cover the debt service on $600MM - $700MM in borrowed money.

I'm almost positive the NFL has a specific fund to assist in stadium construction and that it's not a debt service. I also don't think an open-air stadium costs $750 mil. Gillette stadium as built in the early 2000s for $325 mil. Even counting inflation I doubt the total cost for a new open air stadium today would exceed $500 million. Domes, of course, are another matter entirely.

Edit: I stand corrected. The NFL's G4 program is a loan of up to $200 mil that gets repaid over 15-25 years by PSLs. I'm still right about stadium costs though :P

Edited by TrueBluePhD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.