GDT: Columbus at Buffalo 9-25-13 @7PM

spndnchz

I was happy with how everyone played last night even though Stafford still cant put the puck in an empty net. Thought Leino looked really good with the puck on his stick. Him and Vanek looked like they played for Detroit the way that they bought time and space. The backend was what impressed me the most, I didnt see any glaring mistakes. Excited again for Myers, I liked his interview after, he is really really working and I think it is going to payoff.

Forgot to mention a shout out to the tots in the intermissions. Kids could actually play and were far more entertaining than the usual stuff they have been doing the last few years.

Hope Stafford was watching.

In all seriousness -- don't you pirate feed guys (not just you Liger) worry about viruses?

Well, it was a preaseason game. Let's see it in the regular season and I'll be very happy to stop saying it.

That is why I got NHL Gamecenter (which I switched to once I heard it had the game). Last year I used it in protest for the lockout (meaningless to all but me).

I missed the game -- would be curious to know about forward lines and D pairings, if anyone noticed and wouldn't mind posting them. (I saw the pregame stuff on this but wondering whether the game played out that way.)

thanks.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22074-gdt-columbus-at-buffalo-9-25-13-7pm/#entry507664

Top 5:

Thomas Vanek - He should have put up some points but with Drew Stafford (I'll get to that later) as a winger its harder. He was physical, had some downright amazing passes, his shooting and skating looked good and Rolston didn't park him in front of the net to get hacked to death! Vanek was quite impressive and Hodgson and him looked in sinc most of the night. Vanek really is our best player and I am still holding out hope he resigns.

Cody Hodgson - He learned about defense in the offseason it seems. His back check was solid and he was a tad more physical than I remember. His board battling and passing skills were very good and I think he is generally skating better than he was. I like what I saw from him.

Johan Larsson - He had very limited ice time being on the 4th line but in the 11mins he had he was quite good at battling for the puck and also for some very smooth skating and outlet passes. Some have questioned his size but hes built like a tank and is tough to knock off the puck. Wish he had gotten better linemates but he will in time.

Tyler Myers - he was poised, decisive and very smart on the puck. He did some really good things and was a force in his own zone. I liked how he boxed out in front of the net and worked really hard in all 3 zones. I have hope for him but am going to be cautious...

Rasmus Ristolainen - Solid. No other words really than solid. I didn't really have any fear when he had the puck and he was solid.

Bottom 5:

Drew Stafford - I'll keep this short and sweet. Staff has lost his hands and he skates only average. He isn't shooting well and missing the net on that wide open backhand is all to common for him. He doesn't bring anything other than experience to this team IMPO

Mikhail Grigorenko - Sorry everyone but he glides way to much and needs more battle. He doesn't good hard into corner regularly and he doesn't have that drive to kick ass and be awesome. He has major issues with his skating and again I saw him glide and then glide and then glide... I was glad to see him get a goal and be unselfish and I know he is really skilled, he showed it last night at times but until he improves his skating and his battle, meh.

Ehrhoff - now this one might seem odd but I actually thought Ehrhoff didn't have his best game. He seemed a little indecisive with the puck and there were times on the PP where I was screaming for him to shoot. Now Ehrhoff was not our worst defender but makes this list because I want more from him. Could be he doesn't want to go full bore in preseason but I was a little disappointed with the hoff.

Joel Armia - it was my first chance to see him and as I am sure I will be reminded think he will be better than Bobby Ryan, he had great hands and good moves but again he needed to engage more and be involved more. I realize it is because he is young but I was hoping to see a little more battle from him. His skating is good but I can see that he is a little hesitant right now and I think he needs more minutes more than anything.

Finally, Ryan Miller - did you see the way he smiled at Enroth after the game? Or the way Miller made 0 saves all night? This guy is mailing it in and he doesn't care anymore. I am not sure what his game is but when that puck came into the bench he didn't even try and save it, just let it go right past him. I was hoping from More from Miller.

Top 5:

Thomas Vanek - He should have put up some points but with Drew Stafford (I'll get to that later) as a winger its harder. He was physical, had some downright amazing passes, his shooting and skating looked good and Rolston didn't park him in front of the net to get hacked to death! Vanek was quite impressive and Hodgson and him looked in sinc most of the night. Vanek really is our best player and I am still holding out hope he resigns.

Cody Hodgson - He learned about defense in the offseason it seems. His back check was solid and he was a tad more physical than I remember. His board battling and passing skills were very good and I think he is generally skating better than he was. I like what I saw from him.

Johan Larsson - He had very limited ice time being on the 4th line but in the 11mins he had he was quite good at battling for the puck and also for some very smooth skating and outlet passes. Some have questioned his size but hes built like a tank and is tough to knock off the puck. Wish he had gotten better linemates but he will in time.

Tyler Myers - he was poised, decisive and very smart on the puck. He did some really good things and was a force in his own zone. I liked how he boxed out in front of the net and worked really hard in all 3 zones. I have hope for him but am going to be cautious...

Rasmus Ristolainen - Solid. No other words really than solid. I didn't really have any fear when he had the puck and he was solid.

Bottom 5:

Drew Stafford - I'll keep this short and sweet. Staff has lost his hands and he skates only average. He isn't shooting well and missing the net on that wide open backhand is all to common for him. He doesn't bring anything other than experience to this team IMPO

Mikhail Grigorenko - Sorry everyone but he glides way to much and needs more battle. He doesn't good hard into corner regularly and he doesn't have that drive to kick ass and be awesome. He has major issues with his skating and again I saw him glide and then glide and then glide... I was glad to see him get a goal and be unselfish and I know he is really skilled, he showed it last night at times but until he improves his skating and his battle, meh.

Ehrhoff - now this one might seem odd but I actually thought Ehrhoff didn't have his best game. He seemed a little indecisive with the puck and there were times on the PP where I was screaming for him to shoot. Now Ehrhoff was not our worst defender but makes this list because I want more from him. Could be he doesn't want to go full bore in preseason but I was a little disappointed with the hoff.

Joel Armia - it was my first chance to see him and as I am sure I will be reminded think he will be better than Bobby Ryan, he had great hands and good moves but again he needed to engage more and be involved more. I realize it is because he is young but I was hoping to see a little more battle from him. His skating is good but I can see that he is a little hesitant right now and I think he needs more minutes more than anything.

Finally, Ryan Miller - did you see the way he smiled at Enroth after the game? Or the way Miller made 0 saves all night? This guy is mailing it in and he doesn't care anymore. I am not sure what his game is but when that puck came into the bench he didn't even try and save it, just let it go right past him. I was hoping from More from Miller.

Yeah I noticed with Miller one time he was taking a swig of water from the Gatorade bottle. Normally when he swigs he keeps his eyes on the game - this time he was looking up into the stands. Definitely packing it in.

I come to town and say I am a doctor with the best technology in the field and will cure your ill. It turns out actually that I kill 90% of my patients....but in the mean time, I opened up an awesome Greek Restaurant. And when you come for your medical appointment, all you see is freaking posters and flyers for Gyro and Souvlaki. So enjoy that shot of Uzo before you die.....

From the sounds of this you're writing your own prescriptions...

From the sounds of this you're writing your own prescriptions...

I don't mind the guy is spending money on development....but the team blows chunks, and for saying that 1) The sole purpose is to win Stanley Cups, 2) If I want to make money, I'll drill another well 3) Terry has no interest in becoming a downtown real estate developer......we have seen a TOTAL 180. Not only are they raising ticket prices left and right, but now we have to put up with BS digital advertising in the middle of a play all game....and since February, the team has spent more money on advertising a freaking real estate development during broadcasts than they have spent on acquiring any players worth a flying F. Don't come to Papa Monkey with plastic bananas Ted......

I don't mind the guy is spending money on development....but the team blows chunks, and for saying that 1) The sole purpose is to win Stanley Cups, 2) If I want to make money, I'll drill another well 3) Terry has no interest in becoming a downtown real estate developer......we have seen a TOTAL 180. Not only are they raising ticket prices left and right, but now we have to put up with BS digital advertising in the middle of a play all game....and since February, the team has spent more money on advertising a freaking real estate development during broadcasts than they have spent on acquiring any players worth a flying F. Don't come to Papa Monkey with plastic bananas Ted......

For what it's worth, I think we are one of the last broadcasts to do this.

I've missed you.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 4m

By my unofficial count, the Sabres now have 47 people working as part of the hockey department. In 2003-04, they had 21.

You can't always get what you want... but sometimes you might find you get what you need.

Vogl tweeted moments ago:

By my unofficial count, the Sabres now have 47 people working as part of the hockey department. In 2003-04, they had 21.

I'm not sure how that compares with how many people were in the hockey department in, say, 2009, but I'd tend to think that this sort of fact tends to take the wind out of the sails of those who, of late, have started to say that Pegula's quietly pulling a bait-and-switch on his stated intentions for the franchise (i.e., that he's more concerned with turning it into a money-making venture rather than an entiity whose purpose is to win the Cup).

I'm not sure how that compares with how many people were in the hockey department in, say, 2009, but I'd tend to think that this sort of fact tends to take the wind out of the sails of those who, of late, have started to say that Pegula's quietly pulling a bait-and-switch on his stated intentions for the franchise (i.e., that he's more concerned with turning it into a money-making venture rather than an entiity whose purpose is to win the Cup).

Plot twist: the hockey department is building Greek restaurants.

Have you been to Buffalo lately?

How does Armias broken hand affect where he ends up in the beginning of the season?

Correct me if I am wrong but, he can't be sent to the AHL with a broken hand.

So what happens?

I think it's already somewhere else, but he can go on LITR if it's going to be more than 4 weeks (?). He wouldn't affect cap or roster limit. Once he's healthy, they could send him to the AHL.

Have you been to Buffalo lately?

Should I be doing cartwheels for 2 construction cranes and a wooden bridge built over a canal with a $50 million budget by Larry Quinn? What are you trying to say? I'll give you $50 to have Jo park on Perry St. at 10PM on a non-event night, and walk the square from Perry/So.Park/Michigan and Pearl.

If you look at advanced statistics...the team is Twice as Crappy as when Pegula took over, so he just wants to keep the Crap/Employee quotient from going up so his people don't feel all yucky inside.

Should I be doing cartwheels for 2 construction cranes and a wooden bridge built over a canal with a $50 million budget by Larry Quinn? What are you trying to say? I'll give you $50 to have Jo park on Perry St. at 10PM on a non-event night, and walk the square from Perry/So.Park/Michigan and Pearl.

Is $50 the going rate?

Oh, sh*t! Well, then, hell let's jump on that bandwagon of tacky right away! Can't be last in line to jump off a bridge, you know.

I wouldn't have pegged you as someone who would complain about this.

I didn't even notice it until Ghost mentioned it, and not that it will, but if it keeps ads off of the boards, I'm all for it (instead of completely indifferent, as I am now).

Archived