GDT: Columbus at Buffalo 9-25-13 @7PM

spndnchz

Only people who really love Buffalo and love the Sabres could write posts such as these. Both are excellent in their own way.

We may not see a Cup next year (either Stanley's in the FNC, or the America's on the shores of Lake Erie). But I definitely see one of them coming to Buffalo eventually.

I would argue that Ghost and I both love more than Buffalo. That's really the core of the dilemma. Ghost has embraced a view that makes Buffalo a small drop in the bucket when it comes to what is in need of fixing. And he's right. But it's what you do with your perspective that counts. I'm not going to tell people that they can't live something because of the inherent and deeply rooted flaws within it. Terry Pegula is flawed, the Sabres are flawed, Buffalo is flawed and the world is flawed too. But there's no use, in my mind, being obnoxiously negative about those flaws.

See the potential.

I would argue that Ghost and I both love more than Buffalo. That's really the core of the dilemma. Ghost has embraced a view that makes Buffalo a small drop in the bucket when it comes to what is in need of fixing. And he's right. But it's what you do with your perspective that counts. I'm not going to tell people that they can't live something because of the inherent and deeply rooted flaws within it. Terry Pegula is flawed, the Sabres are flawed, Buffalo is flawed and the world is flawed too. But there's no use, in my mind, being obnoxiously negative about those flaws.

See the potential.

Yes, I stand by what I wrote initially:

What makes you think you are coming across as universally "positive" and Ghost as universally "negative"?

I see your response, and with all due respect, I see someone willing to keep blinders on for the sake of saying their attitude is positive. To me, that is a huge negative.

I would like to add that your characterization of Ghost's position is wrought with logical fallacies; you are completely missing the point as I see it and, in addition, grotesquely distorting the perspective, and motivations, from which it was written.

Ghost is a big boy and can defend himself, but I would say that you may already owe Ghost an apology for the insulting portrait you've painted of his thoughts and person.

What makes you think you are coming across as universally "positive" and Ghost as universally "negative"?

I see your response, and with all due respect, I see someone willing to keep blinders on for the sake of saying their attitude is positive. To me, that is a huge negative.

It's for the sake of not making people feel bad about simply liking a sports team. If the negatives are too much for you, go do something about it. Casting a black shadow over the whole thing and trying to pass yourself off as enlightened is obnoxious.

Edit: gotcha :P

Yes, I stand by what I wrote initially:

I would like to add that your characterization of Ghost's position is wrought with logical fallacies; you are completely missing the point as I see it and, in addition, grotesquely distorting the perspective, and motivations, from which it was written.

Ghost is a big boy and can defend himself, but I would say that you may already owe Ghost an apology for the insulting portrait you've painted of his thoughts and person.

I want to bookmark the bold so we both can review it come next fall, when our clash will be as unavoidable as the tides...

I want to bookmark the bold so we both can review it come next fall, when our clash will be as unavoidable as the tides...

You're going to need all of the logical fallacies you can muster up at that point. Of course, most of those who vote will think it's all troof.

If Ghost wants to defend himself, that's fine. But it doesn't excuse his crusade against everything this team does. His criticisms shed no light on anything that any of us don't already see. There is no unfamiliar territory here, no shocking revelations to be made. Nothing that will turn anyone against the City of Buffalo, the Sabres, and the future prospects of both entities.

Congrats on coming to see the pretty boats one day a month ago.....sounds like you enjoyed your visit. I've lived in Miami where there were more cranes over 5 blocks than I have seen in Buffalo for 30 years. I'm not saying that makes things better....because I chose to come home. The point being.....Pegula came here and made 3 bold statements....1) Multiple Stanley Cups 2) If I want to make money I will drill a well 3) There is no interest in becoming a real estate developer, that's not what he is........well guess what.....3 years later, and all 3 have gone about as far away from what was promised as could possibly be. I want a competent owner and manager for my hockey team.....in fact, a successful hockey team is about the only thing that would attract me to moving downtown. Maybe in 20-30 years there will be a true infrastructure down there and actual HOUSING to purchase, not multifamily to rent. Other than right on the water, north on Delaware and Elmwood, and a few pockets say on Hertel.....there is nothing near the arena that is safe enough or attractive enough as of yet. If Pegula adds to that..God F'n bless him......but I don't care...and I certainly don't want to see 30 minute infomercials, 7 minute intermission reports with Cliff Benson, and a dozen commercials throughout the game telling me what an awesome Real Estate Project is project to be here in 2 years from the guy that supposedly had ZERO intention of any of this BS, and only cared about a successful hockey team. If you want to have a pleasant afternoon...I can point you to plenty of spots in Orchard Park or East Aurora or Angola, or Lewiston....where the grift isn't so heavily involved and 50 years of corruption, empty promises, and organized gladhanding hasn't held the horse up in the starting gate to the point we all have to take full-page ads out in the News to fellate a carpetbagging Gasman. So to you...I say...Good Day Sir........

Now you're stretching. Bigtime. Please, if you're not on board with and/or don't recognize the progress in this city, please, just move to NC or something.

I hope these ###### win a Cup someday so we can all make-out.........

See the potential.

Sometimes, grabbing the Etch-a Sketch from a 4 year old and shaking it to start anew is "seeing the potential". A blank slate and confiscation with redirection to the correct hands may do some good. There is 1 owner of the Buffalo Sabres. There are 2,000,000 real estate owners in Western New York.

The virtual ads behind the nets are extremely tacky and scream "money grab". This, compounded with the other money grabs mentioned already in the thread, and the "I'll dig another well" narrative The Pegula himself put out there, has made me beyond sick with this administration.

The virtual ads WILL NOT keep ads off the boards.

Hockey is a business. People love marketing. You can argue otherwise but people continue to be swayed by signage and marketing every day. As long as that continues to be the case...

the future ? Hockey players dressed like Rhinestone Cowboys flashing one add per minute while they skate up and down the ice during power plays ...lol or

stopping the game after every goal so we can listen to a "this goal is brought to you by" add with dancing bears and naked women?

You'll end up with "This goal brought to you by:" I won't be surprised when it happens.

Archived