GDT: Carolina at Sabres 9-19-2013 7:00PM

26CornerBlitz

I really really want him to have turned things around.

To Tyrannus's observation: My Twitter feed at one point was filled with content from people (at the game) remarking how good Myers looked last night -- joining the rush, being physical, and such.

He's the key to the whole thing.

He (Nathan Gerbe) is going to prove a team up north wrong? Paging Nikita Zadorov, Nikita Zadorov to the nearest white courtesy phone, thank you.

Actually really like this write up on Zadorov. He is a pretty awesome guy and even though I think he should spend majority of the season in London to get mega ice time, I can't wait for him to be a full time Sabre.

http://www.hockeybuz...02#.Ujxmk3criM1

"Zadorov was called for a roughing minor in the third period, which ignited the boo birds on the stands. There was no penalty on the play. The ref came to the aid of a poor, clueless Canes forward who got stuck in Zadorov’s vortex. Nikita nuked him with a clean body check, yet he was penalized. I asked him why.

“These guys in the NHL are too small for me, I just hit him hard”, he said smiling."

Recovering from last night. trying to remember...

you're kidding!?

SabresBuzz@SabresBuzz 10m

Zadorov rag dolls Gerbe!!

The new Sabres, 50lbs and 1ft taller than the old Sabres

Zadorov had more than one juicy hit. Beauty of a shot too. Same goes for Risto. Both of them could make this team.

Rick keeps commenting on the extra contact Miller is receiving and I haven't heard anyone do ANYTHING about it. Did they dress anyone that is going to do something. Nathan freaking Gerbe runs into Miller and thy don't do anything?

Meh. Nothing to see here. A few guys fell down and slid into him.

Speaking of which, last night was a cluster###### on both teams with bad passing, falling down, etc.

It was the first time I was actually planning on leaving after the second period. Boring as all hell by both teams.

Luke Adam is starting to look like a career AHL'er.

Luke Adam shouldn't be playing hockey. PERIOD. I don't have enough server space to tell all the mistakes he had last night.

I was at the game. Tyler Myers looked really good. Joining the rush, tossing bodies aside, getting shots on goal. The Sabres need him to have a good season.

Myers was money. Pushing guys down with one hand. Spinning around on a dime. Took like three stride to get from blue line to blue line. You could feel the breeze in the 300's.

Pysyk made a few mistakes. Mostly letting the puck get past him or going after it and then losing it at the blueline. He is willing to lay down to block a shot.

You could see Tallinder talking to the guys on the ice, leading them, stick tap encouragement, etc.

Flynn and Porter had a hard time last night. I could do without both on the team.

McNabb. Don't know what to say here. 1st star and all. I wasn't impressed. All he did for the whole game was a couple good slapshots. Meh.

Miller was outstanding in the first period. Made enough for a whole games worth of saves.

Recovering from last night. trying to remember...

McNabb. Don't know what to say here. 1st star and all. I wasn't impressed. All he did for the whole game was a couple good slapshots. Meh.

On McNabb, I think his NHL play 2 years ago was over-hyped. He caught a few guys with hits just inside the blue line in his first couple games, and it caught everyone's attention, but blah. His play in ROC last year was pretty blah too. Pardy or Morrison (the year before), dominated AHL players. McNabb looked sometimes good, sometimes not, never great. One could play the youth card, but after a year I'd expect him to figure it out (like Foligno did).

With improvement I think he has potential to be serviceable in NHL, 4-6 on the depth chart maybe, but not much more than that.

On Adam, it's kinda sad. Allstar weekend to his current state.

On McNabb, I think his NHL play 2 years ago was over-hyped. He caught a few guys with hits just inside the blue line in his first couple games, and it caught everyone's attention, but blah. His play in ROC last year was pretty blah too. Pardy or Morrison (the year before), dominated AHL players. McNabb looked sometimes good, sometimes not, never great. One could play the youth card, but after a year I'd expect him to figure it out (like Foligno did).

With improvement I think he has potential to be serviceable in NHL, 4-6 on the depth chart maybe, but not much more than that.

On Adam, it's kinda sad. Allstar weekend to his current state.

Agreed with the McNabb assessment. I just don't know where people are seeing star-caliber talent.

Actually really like this write up on Zadorov. He is a pretty awesome guy and even though I think he should spend majority of the season in London to get mega ice time, I can't wait for him to be a full time Sabre.

http://www.hockeybuz...02#.Ujxmk3criM1

"Zadorov was called for a roughing minor in the third period, which ignited the boo birds on the stands. There was no penalty on the play. The ref came to the aid of a poor, clueless Canes forward who got stuck in Zadorov’s vortex. Nikita nuked him with a clean body check, yet he was penalized. I asked him why.

“These guys in the NHL are too small for me, I just hit him hard”, he said smiling."

This kid could turn into my favorite player since Drury. My man crush is already pushing into strange territory.

This kid could turn into my favorite player since Drury. My man crush is already pushing into strange territory.

He's one of those defensemen you don't notice (good) until he nails someone hard or takes a filthy slapper.

Yea I have a serious crush on Zadorov... Weber may have to sleep on the couch now.

Ive noticed in the highlights and listening to the game Zadorov has really good positioning and instincts. His poise is what surprised me. He is kinda like Ehrhoff in that he plays rock solid and you forgot about him because of it. I have a good feeling about Nikita Zadorov.

Agreed with the McNabb assessment. I just don't know where people are seeing star-caliber talent.

He showed up and threw a couple hits when the fan complaints about the team lacking physical play was at a peak. He took himself out of position most of the time to do that, but people looked past that for some reason.

McNabb. Don't know what to say here. 1st star and all. I wasn't impressed. All he did for the whole game was a couple good slapshots.
He showed up and threw a couple hits when the fan complaints about the team lacking physical play was at a peak. He took himself out of position most of the time to do that, but people looked past that for some reason.

I did not see the game, but WGR's Bulldog tweeted to the effect that, mid-way through the 3rd, he liked McNabb's game the least out of the D-Men who dressed, and then the guy had 2 of his slapshots go in. But, yeah -- I think the point remains. I'm not sure whether and where he still fits into the team's plans.

I did not see the game, but WGR's Bulldog tweeted to the effect that, mid-way through the 3rd, he liked McNabb's game the least out of the D-Men who dressed, and then the guy had 2 of his slapshots go in. But, yeah -- I think the point remains. I'm not sure whether and where he still fits into the team's plans.

Yea the more I thought and listened to things today I really worry McNabb is more of a borderline guy 5-7 defender at the end of the day. I think if he were going to be a monster it would have manifested a bit by now. His slapshots were good but 1 went in off Larsson and the other was a great win by Larsson. McNabb played good but at his age and experience he should be making Risto and Nikita look like rookies and not getting outplayed by both.

Yea the more I thought and listened to things today I really worry McNabb is more of a borderline guy 5-7 defender at the end of the day. I think if he were going to be a monster it would have manifested a bit by now. His slapshots were good but 1 went in off Larsson and the other was a great win by Larsson. McNabb played good but at his age and experience he should be making Risto and Nikita look like rookies and not getting outplayed by both.

Best way I can describe McNabb is Mike Weber with more offensive upside. Basically a 4-6 guy, which is fine, you need them. But at the same time, even if he hits his ceiling I don't think he sniffs an all-star game.

Well, let's not write off McNabb just yet. He's 22 and has played 2 AHL seasons, one of which was cut short by a serious injury. He's got size, the will and ability to use it, a good shot and pretty good speed. He may not have put it all together yet, but that doesn't mean it won't happen -- most defensemen don't get the hang of the NHL game until they're a bit older than he is. It's all about making split-second decisions under pressure and then passing it accurately -- and that usually takes more experience than what he currently has.

Assuming he's exempt from waivers (can anyone confirm?), I would expect him to marinate in Rochester for another year and hopefully continue to learn the game.

Well, let's not write off McNabb just yet. He's 22 and has played 2 AHL seasons, one of which was cut short by a serious injury. He's got size, the will and ability to use it, a good shot and pretty good speed. He may not have put it all together yet, but that doesn't mean it won't happen -- most defensemen don't get the hang of the NHL game until they're a bit older than he is. It's all about making split-second decisions under pressure and then passing it accurately -- and that usually takes more experience than what he currently has.

Assuming he's exempt from waivers (can anyone confirm?), I would expect him to marinate in Rochester for another year and hopefully continue to learn the game.

I don't think anyone has written him off as an NHL player, we're just questioning his upside. Also, I don't see any of this speed you're talking about. Haven't seen preseason, but he still seemed pretty plodding last year.

Best way I can describe McNabb is Mike Weber with more offensive upside. Basically a 4-6 guy, which is fine, you need them. But at the same time, even if he hits his ceiling I don't think he sniffs an all-star game.

He reminds me of a Bruins or Flyers Dman. Obviously not Chara or Pronger but one of the 6'5" thugs they employ with regularity.

He's in the 3rd year of his entry level deal, so yes, he is waiver exempt.

And as for writing him out, I had this discussion with That Aud Smell a few weeks back (or maybe it was someone else). It's amazing how quickly we write these guys off now thanks to the cap and the new waiver rules. Just think of how much time was allowed for Brian Campbell. Now all of a sudden McNabb is only in year 3 and it is already make or break.

And as for writing him out, I had this discussion with That Aud Smell a few weeks back (or maybe it was someone else). It's amazing how quickly we write these guys off now thanks to the cap and the new waiver rules. Just think of how much time was allowed for Brian Campbell. Now all of a sudden McNabb is only in year 3 and it is already make or break.

things have changed in the league, as has been discussed many times around here.

look at a guy like grigorenko. as bad as the team may be this year, in days gone by there'd be no way the franchise would be looking for him to contribute. now he's being slotted/pushed to fill top-6 minutes. it's sort of insane, especially when he can't yet skate at an nhl level or pace.

as for campbell, i will say this: not only did he develop in another era, but he was more of a project player from the start (not sure where he was drafted -- but it was like 5th or later (can't look it up now)).

Yes, goals are icky.

I remember this one specifically: great hit, and although you can't really see it in this clip, directly springs a 2 on 1 (and not the good way).

Archived