Hodgson signs a six-year deal

spndnchz

Welp, at least we're hanging onto assets. That's a good trend. This may even help sway Vanek a little to stay.

That was my first thought. If they play on a line together and have a good year, and if the team gets into the playoffs, it may turn out that it was a 2-year rebuild: Last year and this year. If the team is gelling, Vanek may opt in.

So this basically comes down to two camps:

1) Hodgson is a safe bet to be at least a second-liner centre and that is second-line centre money.

2) Hodgson could easily be another Stafford and we can't get tied down paying a bunch of mid-range contracts to guys who don't ultimately make a difference

Both fair comment, IMO

It certainly does raise the question about Darcy's comments re: the Myers contract being too-much too-soon. Hope a reporter asks him that.

I just got scared.

Yeesh, I forgot Connolly and Afinogenov. You could have stopped right there.

Statistically speaking, Regier is due for a middling contract signing. Perhaps we'll get "lucky" this time.

Nice....I guess that is an advanced stat I can get behind. I hope he has been using some Performance Enhancing Drugs

What can go wrong? Stafford, Connolly, Roy, Gaustad, Afinogenov, Vanek, Miller, Leino Myers, Pominville, Ehrhoff, Kotalik, Kalinin were all signed at similar ages to big contracts.

This is a great observation.

Anyone else think Darcy is still being Darcy, following the 2005 core blueprint with a new group of players?

I count 13 there. Who are the other two and who outperformed their deal?

This is a great observation.

Anyone else think Darcy is still being Darcy, following the 2005 core blueprint with a new group of players?

I count 13 there. Who are the other two and who outperformed their deal?

I think Tallinder and Sekera both got some years for $$. In my opinion, Ehrhoff is a decent signing long term. For his age and years left and what he has done...it is a fair to good contract. Of the others, Tallinder (7 years ago), Sekera, and maybe Miller were fair...but I can't say any outperformed their contract. Roy, Vanek and Pominville were not a disaster, but you would be hard pressed to say you got your $ worth for the duration of those. Connolly, Afinogenov, Stafford were total duds. Kotalik, Gaustad, and Kalinin were not poor, but their performance for value was below average. Leino and Myers? Here's the thing about gambling long term on a RFA who has some UFA years.....you gave Myers a $38.5 million contract for 7 years. How did he play last year? Maybe a $2 million player if we are being kind? Now if he is going to live up to his contract, you need $36.5 million of production over the next 6 years. Does anyone really EXPECT him to be a $6.2 million player this year? Say he is as good as Ehrhoff......now next year you need $32 million of production over 5 years. By overpaying up front, you pretty much need an MVP candidate the last few years in order for the deal to have been worth it. Sure....Vanek may be worth $7 million in today's NHL....but he was making 7 when the cap was at 2/3 of the past few years.

I like the deal. I think Hogdson can be an important leader and hopefully nr.1 center on this team.

I also like the discussionshere, which starts to be emotional again. Yeah preseason is coming.

Hopefully the contract will be a good one in 3 o 4 years too. I fear that Hodgson without Vanek is not as good as with him.

The future will tell the story.

I like the deal. I think Hogdson can be an important leader and hopefully nr.1 center on this team.

I also like the discussionshere, which starts to be emotional again. Yeah preseason is coming.

Hopefully the contract will be a good one in 3 o 4 years too. I fear that Hodgson without Vanek is not as good as with him.

The future will tell the story.

I think that's what we're all hoping for. I just have reservations about that happening, thus my concern over this contract.

I think that's what we're all hoping for. I just have reservations about that happening, thus my concern over this contract.

The contract isn't really for #1 money though. $4.25M is #2 center money. Hodgson has already shown that he is capable of being a decent #2 center in the NHL. I just don't see the risk.

I don't see this as a Stafford-like situation. There were warning signs about Staffords in-game effort all along. Hodgson has his areas of weakness but effort certainly isn't one of them. IMO Cody would have to regress to not live up to this contract.

The contract isn't really for #1 money though. $4.25M is #2 center money. Hodgson has already shown that he is capable of being a decent #2 center in the NHL. I just don't see the risk.

I don't see this as a Stafford-like situation. There were warning signs about Staffords in-game effort all along. Hodgson has his areas of weakness but effort certainly isn't one of them. IMO Cody would have to regress to not live up to this contract.

When? I understand Hodgson has offensive talent and plays a position that the Sabres have very little NHL level talent at. To say Hodgson has "shown" or proven anything at the NHL level is just false.

From WGR550:

Hodgson was on the ice for 3.64 Goals Against per 60 minutes, 1.97 with him off

Goals Against was 18th worst in the NHL, 13th amongst F's

He had a -7.91 Corsi rating per 60 minutes (shots on goal+missed+blocked)

The Sabres allowed 31.0 shots against with Hodgson on the ice and 29.2 off

Shots against was 29th worst in the NHL

He was on the ice for 42.5% of Even Strength (non-SH or EN) goals against

I don't care if he can be buried in the AHL, it's crazy to go whole hog on a guy with those numbers and nothing to suggest they will improve significantly.

This is like Groundhog Day. The "smart" fans never, ever, EVER seem to learn around here.

This is a franchise prone to making the same mistakes over and over again. I don't know if it is just arrogance or just plain stupidity or a combination of both. They seem to be continuing on the path of paying a lot of money for such small sample sizes. Leino, Stafford, Myers and now Hodgson have cashed in on the Sabres being overzealous in their attempt to create stars through contracts rather than allowing the players to earn that status on the ice.

When? I understand Hodgson has offensive talent and plays a position that the Sabres have very little NHL level talent at. To say Hodgson has "shown" or proven anything at the NHL level is just false.

He does not have a lengthy resume by any stretch but he has had enough game time in enough situations to show that he has plenty of skill, drive, and on ice smarts to be a capable scoring line center. The only way that changes is if there is a regression in his game.

This is a franchise prone to making the same mistakes over and over again. I don't know if it is just arrogance or just plain stupidity or a combination of both. They seem to be continuing on the path of paying a lot of money for such small sample sizes. Leino, Stafford, Myers and now Hodgson have cashed in on the Sabres being overzealous in their attempt to create stars through contracts rather than allowing the players to earn that status on the ice.

Pretty balsy quoting advanced stats in your argument when advanced stats place many of the players you covet in the vastly overrated category and show little regard for things like hits and blocked shots and toughness.

Well... I am oddly torn on this deal.

I really like Cody. I think he is a battler, competitor and does possess the talent to be either a great #2 center or a decent #1 center depending on how he plays going forward. I like having him locked up for 6 years and a reasonably friendly cap hit.

Here is the BUT, as others have mentioned (Deluca for 1) this contract is like several we have seen in the past where Darcy in his haste to lock ppl up gives a long deal to someone who honestly has not earned it yet. Hodgson is good but can he fix his defensive game? What if he does become stafford? What if Vanek leaves and Cody's production drops away? What if Cody's production drops away anyways? The sample size for him as a Sabre is really only the 48 games from last season. 48 = 6yrs at 25.5million.... scares the crap out of me.

I like the deal because Hodgson is locked up and I think he will actually be great. I worry that he may pull a Stafford and slowly fade away without the incentive of another deal looming. Time will tell.

@BuffaloSabres

WATCH: Cody Hodgson speaks with @duffersabres this morning on his contract extension http://goo.gl/qUL00f

Gotta say I kinda like those red practice jersey's they look pretty good.

I'm kinda optimistic about Hodgy but at the same time the similarities between the current situation and '06-'07 are ominous and can't be ignored. The Sabres gave a bunch of mediocre-to-decent players "upper middle class" contracts and let their best players go because they didn't want to give them high-end contracts. Now Hodgy gets this deal while Miller and Vanek are most likely moving on. And the architect is the same guy who has presided over a debacle.

Eeeeeeesh.

Darcy said on WGR this morning that the Sabres were interested in a two year bridge, but had no interest in a four year deal that would allow CoHo to walk into UFA at age 27.

They (The Sabres and Ritch Winter) settled on a six year deal that essentially buys the Sabres two years of CoHo's UFA status.Darcy also said that the Sabres view CoHo worst case as a high quality 2nd line C because of what he's already shown and also that he's a quality person of high character with the work ethic to improve the deficient areas of his game (D-zone coverage and Faceoffs).

Just how bad defensively is Hodgson, and can/will it be fixed?

I read at least one media report this morning that referenced him as among the league's worst defensive forwards.

And that struck me as hyperbole.

I saw a guy who was often caught standing next to the guy who scored, but I didn't see a guy who looked lazy, lost, or took a lot of stupid risks.

What I saw was a kid who needed to learn that it's not good enough to just be on your man — use your stick or your body to slow him down, or get in his way. In other words, pay more attention to detail.

He seems like a diligent kid and I tend to think he'll get better in our end.

Archived