Sabres Press Conference 7-2-13

That Aud Smell

it could.

but here is what hamilton wrote:

After Tuesday’s press conference I had a chance to chat with Darcy Regier and he said the Sabres are interested and have contacted Briere’s agent.

When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15.

based on what's bolded above, i trust that hamilton received a straightforward confirmation from DR that the sabres had been in touch with briere's agent and then followed up with the "hey there are 15 teams in the mix apparently ... ."

i really don't think DR is weaseling on this. i also don't think there's a chance that briere signs here (and that DR knows that as well).

I also just heard Hamilton speak on GR; he was more clear than he was in writing. DR did say that the Sabres had talked with Briere's agent.

it could.

After Tuesday’s press conference I had a chance to chat with Darcy Regier and he said the Sabres are interested and have contacted Briere’s agent.

When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15.

based on what's bolded above, i trust that hamilton received a straightforward confirmation from DR that the sabres had been in touch with briere's agent and then followed up with the "hey there are 15 teams in the mix apparently ... ."

i really don't think DR is weaseling on this. i also don't think there's a chance that briere signs here (and that DR knows that as well).

Depends on what sort of relationship DR had w/ DB and how much of not getting an offer to his liking that DB places on DR vs LQ/TG.

I'd prefer not having him back at this point in his career but wouldn't be shocked to see him back.

Depends on what sort of relationship DR had w/ DB and how much of not getting an offer to his liking that DB places on DR vs LQ/TG.

I'd prefer not having him back at this point in his career but wouldn't be shocked to see him back.

Not to get depressing, but once Danny left Buffalo, his marriage went bad. Maybe he has a little regret in him and would overlook Darcy. The fans loved him, he was a nice community asset....when you ride off into the sunset, not the worst place to be.

Maybe. I think it more depends on the interplay of two factors: (1) How much Briere wants to play for a team that could contend and (2) how much he wants/needs to get the biggest payday he can (as Briere has no doubt discovered: divorce has a way of squeezing your finances).

Not to get depressing, but once Danny left Buffalo, his marriage went bad. Maybe he has a little regret in him and would overlook Darcy. The fans loved him, he was a nice community asset....when you ride off into the sunset, not the worst place to be.

He wouldn't be the 1st Sabre to end up in Buffalo for what looks/looked like the last kick at the can when he came back.

Was she a Buffalo girl? Or was she from his home province? I forget.

EDIT: Just remembered her name: Sylvie. She had to be from back home. We sat near them at Hutch's once -- she was such a cute gal.

Was she a Buffalo girl? Or was she from his home province? I forget.

EDIT: Just remembered her name: Sylvie. She had to be from back home. We sat near them at Hutch's once -- she was such a cute gal.

Good peeps...in all honesty, he would be good for Hodgson and Grigs....teach them how to be pros, but still hook a groin now and then.

1. Stats: 11 draft picks taken, highest in NHL. 5 in first two rounds, highest in NHL. Most draft picks taken in first two rounds by Buffalo since '83.
  2. Working on getting a deal to Matt Ellis. They want him as Captain America(ns) if he's not in Buffalo.
  3. Regier glad Weber's signed, considers him a good defensemen that improved a lot and continues to get better, but is a very imporatant "glue guy" in the locker room that will play an important role with the kids.
  4. Will use UFA period to acquire players that not only perform well, but can serve as leaders for the kids.
  5. Will be in contact with Danny Briere's agent.
  6. New pre-UFA period allows contact, discussion, meetings prior to UFA signing period. This period has strict rules about travel (no private jets), gifts, etc. Regier thinks this levels the UFA-recruiting playing field for most teams, citing previous abuse of third party or back-channel communications to gauge interest of players.
  7. Regier is putting it nicely that he's continuing to shop Vanek and Miller, but more accurately, he is continuing to evaluate the market for them. Believes that with the other recent goalie signings, Miller's market changes a little, probably creating more demand for Miller. They are very much open to keeping them both, and both are willing to talk about contracts, but Regier recognizes that he cannot let these players walk out the door as UFAs for nothing in return (and must gather offers in case things don't head in the keeping-them direction).
  8. Regier also fielding offers/evaluating market for other players on roster.
  9. Devine: Armia, Risto, others are all possible candidates for making the roster this season, but as always, it's up to the players to earn the roster spot.
  10. Regier on McBain: a good defenseman that had a bad year, expects him to improve, cites McBain's established relationship with Rolston in the national program to help with that. Potential for playing point on second powerplay unit.
  11. Regier: defensive system Rolston has developed is benefitted by right handed-left handed defensive pairs, this helped drive the Sekera-McBain trade. (FYI, Sabres had 8 left handed defensemen playing games last year and only 3 right handers, which includes Ruwedhel.)
  12. Devine: had Compher rated as a late first round selection. (This also helped drive Sekera trade.)
  13. Devine let slip/implied that the top four D would include Myers, Pysyk, Ehrhoff (no order). These are based on L-R pairings.
  14. Expecting a primary assistant coach hired within about a week; Rolston has a specific candidate targeted. Others later on, before training camp. Teppo still on as assistant.

I seriously can't believe it took something as simple as Ron Rolston to realize that R-L defense pairs are so important. Wow. I could have told Darcy to do that.

Thanks for the summary IKPhysics.

Regier on McBain: a good defenseman that had a bad year, expects him to improve, cites McBain's established relationship with Rolston in the national program to help with that. Potential for playing point on second powerplay unit.

Good luck with that thought. May I suggest you check on where the Canes finished the season ranked on PP% and McBain couldn't make either unit on a regular basis. I wish him well and hope he bounces back. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

I seriously can't believe it took something as simple as Ron Rolston to realize that R-L defense pairs are so important. Wow. I could have told Darcy to do that.

GM listens to the coach. It never seemed like that mattered to Ruff much. Rolston's probably different. Somebody said recently that it's more important than it used to be because of the increased speed of more aggressive forechecking.

Good luck with that thought. May I suggest you check on where the Canes finished the season ranked on PP% and McBain couldn't make either unit on a regular basis. I wish him well and hope he bounces back. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

Welp, I watched McBain play well at Wisconsin, and he seemed to be on a fine developmental track. Numbers show he also did well in Albany. Then you guys got a hold of him.

Welp, I watched McBain play well at Wisconsin, and he seemed to be on a fine developmental track. Numbers show he also did well in Albany. Then you guys got a hold of him.

Fair enough. He may have been pushed into a position too soon and not given enough seasoning in the AHL. Sometimes though, once a player gets in the doghouse, he never gets out with that team.

Have you seen him score the "own goal"?

Fair enough. He may have been pushed into a position too soon and not given enough seasoning in the AHL. Sometimes though, once a player gets in the doghouse, he never gets out with that team.

Have you seen him score the "own goal"?

Awesome backhand eh?

Awesome backhand eh?

Best in the league.

That was a fluke, but what he does on a much too regular basis that drives me batty is to pass the puck from behind the red line into the slot in the defensive zone (you know, right in front of his goalie). It makes my ass cheeks squench up every time. Maybe the coaching staff needs a shock collar and a remote to help fix that.

GM listens to the coach. It never seemed like that mattered to Ruff much. Rolston's probably different. Somebody said recently that it's more important than it used to be because of the increased speed of more aggressive forechecking.

That's really the heart of the issue though. How did Ruff not take this concept seriously even though every team in the league is doing it? How does Darcy not recognize this and say "Lindy we have to adopt this"?

That's really the heart of the issue though. How did Ruff not take this concept seriously even though every team in the league is doing it? How does Darcy not recognize this and say "Lindy we have to adopt this"?

How is it that people married for 60 years don't tell each other they smell like ass?

it could.

It could also mean that they have spoken with his agent previously and that they won't make it 16 teams interested in Briere

The quote doesn't really make sense unless DR was trying to sound comical or sly about it. It makes more sense if Darcy thought Hamilton said that there are 15 teams INTERESTED in Briere, then Darcy is saying that they won't make it 16. It doesn't make sense answering that way after you just said that you had contacted his agent.

Two things ...

1) Chz, can we draft superdave to be a Sabrespace regular? I :wub: superdave.

2) NHL.com is reporting that at the presser DR said that Sulzer will definately NOT be back. IKP, can that be #15 on your outstanding summary? Can anyone confirm this Sulzer tidbit? It's the first I've heard of it, but maybe I'm just not an insiderrrrrrr ..........

Sulzer was in the Leggio category.

Darcy likes him, won't close the door on resigning him after he sees what shakes out in the next few weeks.

But he's not going to get an offer prior to hitting UFA and will be free to sign where he wants.

Of all players I don't think DR would be coy about Briere. With all that past history what would he have to gain with being cute about the Sabres interest?

My feeling is they have indeed contacted Briere's agent and may have some interest, but in the end DR knows that he is unlikely to return here. Basically a PR move, so rather than coming out and saying that he won't be calling his agent...."hey we reached out to him but he didn't want to come back."

Two things ...

1) Chz, can we draft superdave to be a Sabrespace regular? I :wub: superdave.

Superdave is ok in my book (for a Canes fan :nana: ). However if we sent someone like X over to the Canes board to talk about Sekera he'd probably get banned.

Archived