Sabres Press Conference 7-2-13

That Aud Smell

I listened to pieces of it. There are updates coming on Twitter.

The one thing I did not hear, but am now reading with interest: Darcy has been in touch with Briere's agent.

Other tidbits I can recall:

Devine was very "we'll have to see" about Risto possibly being on the big club this year -- said there were a bunch of RH guys ahead of him who have proven they can play in the NHL.

Rolston will likely be naming another assistant in the next week or so.

Grigorenko is playing with the Sabres next year -- no returning him to juniors and, obviously, no Amerks.

Vogl should have a recap on the Sabres Edge blog later today. Hoppe's write-up will be worth reading as well. Oh, and Kevin Alphabet from Roc will have a good Amerks angle.

Reposting from another thread:

In the presser, Darcy said the goalie market has stabilized and that he talked to Ryan Miller's agent this morning.

Reading between the lines this tells me the Luongo situation was the wild card in talks, the Miller suitors are being asked to ante up their best offers, and Ryan's input is being sought (NTC, possible extensions, etc.)

And another repost:

Presser: will target players who can help with the young core.

Briere completely makes sense.

1. Stats: 11 draft picks taken, highest in NHL. 5 in first two rounds, highest in NHL. Most draft picks taken in first two rounds by Buffalo since '83.
  2. Working on getting a deal to Matt Ellis. They want him as Captain America(ns) if he's not in Buffalo.
  3. Regier glad Weber's signed, considers him a good defensemen that improved a lot and continues to get better, but is a very imporatant "glue guy" in the locker room that will play an important role with the kids.
  4. Will use UFA period to acquire players that not only perform well, but can serve as leaders for the kids.
  5. Will be in contact with Danny Briere's agent.
  6. New pre-UFA period allows contact, discussion, meetings prior to UFA signing period. This period has strict rules about travel (no private jets), gifts, etc. Regier thinks this levels the UFA-recruiting playing field for most teams, citing previous abuse of third party or back-channel communications to gauge interest of players.
  7. Regier is putting it nicely that he's continuing to shop Vanek and Miller, but more accurately, he is continuing to evaluate the market for them. Believes that with the other recent goalie signings, Miller's market changes a little, probably creating more demand for Miller. They are very much open to keeping them both, and both are willing to talk about contracts, but Regier recognizes that he cannot let these players walk out the door as UFAs for nothing in return (and must gather offers in case things don't head in the keeping-them direction).
  8. Regier also fielding offers/evaluating market for other players on roster.
  9. Devine: Armia, Risto, others are all possible candidates for making the roster this season, but as always, it's up to the players to earn the roster spot.
  10. Regier on McBain: a good defenseman that had a bad year, expects him to improve, cites McBain's established relationship with Rolston in the national program to help with that. Potential for playing point on second powerplay unit.
  11. Regier: defensive system Rolston has developed is benefitted by right handed-left handed defensive pairs, this helped drive the Sekera-McBain trade. (FYI, Sabres had 8 left handed defensemen playing games last year and only 3 right handers, which includes Ruwedhel.)
  12. Devine: had Compher rated as a late first round selection. (This also helped drive Sekera trade.)
  13. Devine let slip/implied that the top four D would include Myers, Pysyk, Ehrhoff (no order). These are based on L-R pairings.
  14. Expecting a primary assistant coach hired within about a week; Rolston has a specific candidate targeted. Others later on, before training camp. Teppo still on as assistant.

Devine let slip/implied that the top four D might be Myers, Pysyk, Ehrhoff, McBain (no order). These are based on L-R pairings.

I don't think that's right as Myers, McBain and Pysyk are all right handed shots.

I posted in the Free Agency thread too.. but since there is one for the presser specifically. Is Paul Hamilton's quote correct about Briere?

When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15.

As I stated there, if this is the statement then I see no reason to believe that the Sabres have contacted him. Of course I did not see the presser, etc.

Guest Sloth

Someone needs to start a twitter account called @PaulHamiltonsocks

I read that too fast and thought it said @paulhamiltonhamhocks

I also read that fast and thought it said @paulhamiltonsucks

Not that I think that. Just momentarily thought it said that.

I posted in the Free Agency thread too.. but since there is one for the presser specifically. Is Paul Hamilton's quote correct about Briere? When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15. As I stated there, if this is the statement then I see no reason to believe that the Sabres have contacted him. Of course I did not see the presser, etc.

The implication was that "If you heard it's 15, then what I am telling you now does not make that number 16 ..." i.e., the Sabres are among the 15 interested teams that Briere's agent apparently reported to Hamilton (or to whomever).

EDIT: But I take your point. Hamilton's decent to listen to, but his writing is pretty turbl. Again, what DR was apparently saying was "You heard there are 15 teams interested? Well, I am telling you that the Sabres are interested, and the fact that I am telling you that now does not increase that number you heard to 16." Pretty roundabout way of saying "we're in the mix with Briere", but that was clearly the import.

The implication was that "If you heard it's 15, then what I am telling you now does not make that number 16 ..." i.e., the Sabres are among the 15 interested teams that Briere's agent apparently reported to Hamilton (or to whomever).

EDIT: But I take your point. Hamilton's decent to listen to, but his writing is pretty turbl. Again, what DR was apparently saying was "You heard there are 15 teams interested? Well, I am telling you that the Sabres are interested, and the fact that I am telling you that now does not increase that number you heard to 16." Pretty roundabout way of saying "we're in the mix with Briere", but that was clearly the import.

The quote itself could also mean, "there are already 15 teams out there, and we don't intend to make it 16."

I think DR is a lawyer (hi, 11) ...

... he can say many things without really saying anything ... :P

i.e. WEASEL!!!

At least 11 is on the corp. side....they are more barracuda than weasel. You just stay out of the way of a barracuda and you are fine. A weasel lures you in by being all nice and fluffy, then steals all your chickens' eggs. Darcy and Ted are full of yolk....

i.e. WEASEL!!!

At least 11 is on the corp. side....they are more barracuda than weasel. You just stay out of the way of a barracuda and you are fine. A weasel lures you in by being all nice and fluffy, then steals all your chickens' eggs. Darcy and Ted are full of yolk....

This would imply DR actually takes action...........

This would imply DR actually takes action...........

If eggs = owners' $$ and fans' souls....then yes.

This is why I LOVE Devine....he is a scout's scout....is passionate...and gives you his honest opinion 99% of the time. Same reason I loved Nix and Gailey, although I really like Whaley as well. Even Schopp hinted yesterday for Hamilton to ask Devine questions because he is a straight shooter.

The quote itself could also mean, "there are already 15 teams out there, and we don't intend to make it 16."

it could.

but here is what hamilton wrote:

After Tuesday’s press conference I had a chance to chat with Darcy Regier and he said the Sabres are interested and have contacted Briere’s agent.

When Regier was told that 15 teams had reportedly contacted Briere’s agent Regier said, “We won’t make it 16,” meaning that if that number is correct, the Sabres are one of the 15.

based on what's bolded above, i trust that hamilton received a straightforward confirmation from DR that the sabres had been in touch with briere's agent and then followed up with the "hey there are 15 teams in the mix apparently ... ."

i really don't think DR is weaseling on this. i also don't think there's a chance that briere signs here (and that DR knows that as well).

Archived