Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

What not happy with zadorov and ristolainen? unlike edmonton we are set up for defense and goaltending for years to come.

Wich is good cause what good is it putting in 4 goals if you take 6 yourself. I like how we are set up to draft forwards for the next two years.

I would have and still would rather have Nichushkin over Risto. I'd also rather have Zadorov than both. So far, I'm wrong about my desire to have Mantha over Zadorov even though Mantha has been insane in the Q.

I still think that in six or eight years people will be shaking their heads at how Nichushkin is squandering his talent.

So far he is proving me wrong, but we have a long way to go.

I'll keep this in mind if he's scoring 70 points yearly while the Sabres continue to finish in the 7-10 range because they can't score enough :P

I'll keep this in mind if he's scoring 70 points yearly while the Sabres continue to finish in the 7-10 range because they can't score enough :P

I'm sure you will. :P

And just for the record, I wanted Horvat at 8, but was happy with Risto.

Edited by dudacek

You were absolutely right.

Of course I was, as were many others.

To rage about something from emotion is to forgo relevant facts. In this case, the eyes tell a tale of truth in the replay.

But, in the interest of full disclosure, I've had more than my fair share of ranting and raving from emotions. Hey, what can I say, like all of you, I'm emotionally vested in hockey..............

Of course I was, as were many others.

To rage about something from emotion is to forgo relevant facts. In this case, the eyes tell a tale of truth in the replay.

But, in the interest of full disclosure, I've had more than my fair share of ranting and raving from emotions. Hey, what can I say, like all of you, I'm emotionally vested in hockey..............

It really has become a witch hunt when it comes to hits. As some point people have to realize that every time a player hits another player, and that plays goes down hard, it's not a suspendable offense. Wilson put a hit on a player that had the puck. He traveled a distance because he was just entering the play. Is Wilson supposed to stop skating at some point. If he does than the Flyers easily clear the zone. I like Schenn, and I definitely don't want to see any player hurt. Sometimes we have to remember that hockey is a dangerous game that is played at a high rate of speed and a high level of intensity. There are more than enough outrageous plays for fans to get upset over. Not all plays with unfortunate results deserve such outrage.

It really has become a witch hunt when it comes to hits. As some point people have to realize that every time a player hits another player, and that plays goes down hard, it's not a suspendable offense. Wilson put a hit on a player that had the puck. He traveled a distance because he was just entering the play. Is Wilson supposed to stop skating at some point. If he does than the Flyers easily clear the zone. I like Schenn, and I definitely don't want to see any player hurt. Sometimes we have to remember that hockey is a dangerous game that is played at a high rate of speed and a high level of intensity. There are more than enough outrageous plays for fans to get upset over. Not all plays with unfortunate results deserve such outrage.

For once I can say, the league explanation changed my mind. If he had stopped skating, folks would have called him on it. It certainly looked one way. But the breakdown and explanation showed a different intrepretation.

Excellent analysis, and after watching the play live on TV and muliple times afterward from several angles, I agree that Shanny and the DPS got this one right.

It was maddening to me to hear several analysts, including on HNIC Radio, ranting the day after the hit things like Wilson deserves at least 15 games, and that he doesn't belong in the NHL, etc.

This one was a hockey play, and until they take hitting completely out of hockey, it is not a suspendable offense, IMO.

I just thank the good Lord above that it wasn't John Scott who made that exact same hit.

I just thank the good Lord above that it wasn't John Scott who made that exact same hit.

Agreed 100%. Scott would have been drawn and quartered at centre ice based on his 4th line status, average ice time and size.

If Scott were on the ice in the same position Wilson was, Schenn would have had the puck down into the offensive zone before Scott could lumber his double blades to the face-off dot.

You do bring up an interesting point. I really feel it is the desperation of some to exonerate Scott from his attacks on skilled players by associating it with others plays, clean or not. The point I have made previously still stands, if Wilson would have hit Schenn with an ax, it doesn't make what Scott did twice less dirty and less embarrassing for the franchise and it's fans.

If Scott were on the ice in the same position Wilson was, Schenn would have had the puck down into the offensive zone before Scott could lumber his double blades to the face-off dot.

You do bring up an interesting point. I really feel it is the desperation of some to exonerate Scott from his attacks on skilled players by associating it with others plays, clean or not. The point I have made previously still stands, if Wilson would have hit Schenn with an ax, it doesn't make what Scott did twice less dirty and less embarrassing for the franchise and it's fans.

I think this is oversimplifying the issue....I think people bring up names like Kaleta and Scott to challenge the sham that is the office run by Shanahan. Using other lightning rods (who can actually play the game), do you think Cooke or Torres would have received nothing for the same exact play?

I'm not embarrassed for Scott or any of his actions, I'm embarrassed that the league makes it necessary to even contemplate having players like him around anymore. In 05/06, we were so, so close to eradicating this type from the league, yet clutching, grabbing and physical play have been allowed to take over again, reducing scoring. Remember right after the lockout when crosschecking in front of the net was an automatic whistle, resulting in dmen fronting forwards? That's ancient history.

Remember every time Scott is mocked as a joke that Lucic was laughing in his post game presser after running Miller.

I think this is oversimplifying the issue....I think people bring up names like Kaleta and Scott to challenge the sham that is the office run by Shanahan. Using other lightning rods (who can actually play the game), do you think Cooke or Torres would have received nothing for the same exact play?

I'm not embarrassed for Scott or any of his actions, I'm embarrassed that the league makes it necessary to even contemplate having players like him around anymore. In 05/06, we were so, so close to eradicating this type from the league, yet clutching, grabbing and physical play have been allowed to take over again, reducing scoring. Remember right after the lockout when crosschecking in front of the net was an automatic whistle, resulting in dmen fronting forwards? That's ancient history.

Remember every time Scott is mocked as a joke that Lucic was laughing in his post game presser after running Miller.

Scott does nothing to change that.

Scott does nothing to change that.

It's a small sample size, but ever since Scott has been wearing the blue and gold Lucic seems to be on better behavior. No more (bravely) trying to fight the Toni Lydman's of the world. And the end of game nonsense seems to have lessened as well.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that Scott doesn't belong in the NHL. My gripe is that as long as the league doesn't protect the safety of others from loose cannons like Lucic, there will be a need for the John Scott's of the world.

Take a look at Lucic going after Landeskog. That isn't hockey, that isn't tough play. And it's not anything I want to see. John Scott keeps things like that from happening to our players. And we need that as long as Shanny isn't willing to drop the hammer on certain players and/or teams.

What's embarrassing is how high the double standard is that you hold Sabres to as opposed to players from other teams.

What's embarrassing is how high the double standard is that you hold Sabres to as opposed to players from other teams.

What's embarrassing is your creation of a mythical "double standard." It's just another step in your continued attempt to justify Scott place on the roster. Wilson's play was nowhere near what Scott has done and certainly doesn't even belong in the same conversation.

It's a small sample size, but ever since Scott has been wearing the blue and gold Lucic seems to be on better behavior. No more (bravely) trying to fight the Toni Lydman's of the world. And the end of game nonsense seems to have lessened as well.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that Scott doesn't belong in the NHL. My gripe is that as long as the league doesn't protect the safety of others from loose cannons like Lucic, there will be a need for the John Scott's of the world.

Take a look at Lucic going after Landeskog. That isn't hockey, that isn't tough play. And it's not anything I want to see. John Scott keeps things like that from happening to our players. And we need that as long as Shanny isn't willing to drop the hammer on certain players and/or teams.

If you want to counter Lucic than you need to have a top six forward that can counter Lucic's effect on a game. A 4 minute a game goon is an embarrassing attempt. You want to counter Lucic, you need to look to Foligno, Ott and to a lessor extent McCormick. In the future you counter with Girgensson, Zadorov and Ristolainen.

Lucic didn't run Miller because they didn't have a John Scott. He ran Miller because he knew that the 20 guys dressed wouldn't even consider doing something about it.

What's embarrassing is your creation of a mythical "double standard." It's just another step in your continued attempt to justify Scott place on the roster. Wilson's play was nowhere near what Scott has done and certainly doesn't even belong in the same conversation.

If you want to counter Lucic than you need to have a top six forward that can counter Lucic's effect on a game. A 4 minute a game goon is an embarrassing attempt. You want to counter Lucic, you need to look to Foligno, Ott and to a lessor extent McCormick. In the future you counter with Girgensson, Zadorov and Ristolainen.

Lucic didn't run Miller because they didn't have a John Scott. He ran Miller because he knew that the 20 guys dressed wouldn't even consider doing something about it.

Look back at your posts from when it happened.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.