Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

The intent of the Wilson hit was obvious. He came in full speed from beyond the blue line to hit Schenn. I bet he was trying to get back at Schenn for something that happened earlier in the game. The hit was much worse because Schenn was about 2 feet from the boards.

BTW - Can we just rename this the "dirty hit" thread? There is very little discussion of the NHL - goals, saves, upset wins, who is playing well and such - in this thread... it is pretty much all about hits, fights, and suspensions. ;)

Edited by Potato

Unless he just didn't see him, why the F does Shenn turn away from

that hit? I know it's a contrarian view, but some of the responsibility has to be put on these hitees.

i agree with the view that he wasn't consciously turning away from a runaway locomotive - he may have sensed his better play was to double back, but i don't think he knowingly turned his back to that hit.

It was very predatory and in a very dangerous spot.

word.

Seriously....just get rid of checking...like an 8 year old league....

Maybe the new team figure skating competition in the Olympics is just another name for hockey.

Save us Putin.....

nonsense.

Shoulder to shoulder

as someone who's used the screen caps before to make a point, i've come to conclude that they're of very limited value.

I feel like calling it CHARGING! The caps and exclamation point seem mandatory.

perfect.

Those are the types of hits others on this board were damning Kaleta for. It's unacceptable.

that was the first thing that popped into my head: that it was a positively kaleta-esque hit. the sort of hit that i don't even defend when delivered by a player on my town's team.

the debate over whether it was shoulder-to-shoulder or from the back is a bit of a red herring. as others have more ably noted, the real issue here is that it's a fooking heat seeking missile of a CHARGE!, delivered in an area of the rink where such hits are incredibly dangerous. schenn's lucky to have avoided a career-ending injury (or worse).

I'm getting sick of this narrative and witch hunting.

There was 1 Cap and 3 Flyers near the corner. If Wilson was coming from the blueline, he started when it was a tied up puck. Schenn was 1 of 3 who had a chance at it, plus the other Flyer was in the skating path of a direct approach. Instead of moving the puck right away like a hot potato as defensemen do 95% of the time in that situation...Schenn dangled it, and Wilson popped him.

I saw Marcus Foligno line up 2 guys from across the ice in a 15 second span last night....and I'm glad he did. They were by themselves and intent was clear...he just didn't explode them.

I really want to find out what the government has been putting in the drinking water the past decade or 2......the collective nads of our society are about the size of a couple of wasabi peas.

I get the charging call, but this is a game of hockey and circumstances should be taken into account on why a player is coming in with top speed.

Watching the video here is what I see:

At the :56 mark there is a replay showing the view blue line in..

There are 5 Flyers in the frame, 1 Capital on the boards and Wilson entering the zone. You would imagine that this means the Caps just had a line change. So, Wilson SHOULD be skating as hard as he can to get into the corner to provide support. When he enters the zone the Capitals have possession of the puck.

Wilson takes 2 strides after entering the zone before Schenn picks up the puck. Wilson changes course at the face off dot to intercept Schenn who appears to be heading behind the net. At that point in time :57 in the video, Wilson takes a stride to maneuver around Simmonds. He takes one more stride to accelerate from a direction change. At this point :58 he is at the bottom of the face off circle and Schenn is a step below the icing line. Wilson begins gliding at that point, lines his shoulder up for a perfect check and Schenn begins to turn. Even if Schenn did not see Wilson you can hear his teammates yelling "Watch Out". So right when that was said, he turned slightly. As in the picture above you can see that Wilson makes contact with Schenn' shoulder. Of course he hits the boards because he turned to put himself in a bad position to absorb a hit. He gets himself clobbered.

It's bound to get called but a player needs to get into the zone at top speed to get into the play. Is he supposed to stop or not hit a player (especially when it's not from behind) just because he happened to be coming into the play fast. This is far different than a player who clearly targets a player from a distance and plows him. Wilson was originally aimed for the play along the boards and changes with the change in puck possession. If Schenn is against the boards he probably shrugs this off and keeps playing.

Oh well.. he'll be suspended I am certain but from what I see he made a hockey play. His speed was up but the alternative was to STOP and let Schenn go. If he does that then he's sitting on the bench.

I'm getting sick of this narrative and witch hunting.

There was 1 Cap and 3 Flyers near the corner. If Wilson was coming from the blueline, he started when it was a tied up puck. Schenn was 1 of 3 who had a chance at it, plus the other Flyer was in the skating path of a direct approach. Instead of moving the puck right away like a hot potato as defensemen do 95% of the time in that situation...Schenn dangled it, and Wilson popped him.

I saw Marcus Foligno line up 2 guys from across the ice in a 15 second span last night....and I'm glad he did. They were by themselves and intent was clear...he just didn't explode them.

I really want to find out what the government has been putting in the drinking water the past decade or 2......the collective nads of our society are about the size of a couple of wasabi peas.

Exploding guys from the other side of the ice isn't hockey Ghost. What is so difficult about this concept?

I get the charging call, but this is a game of hockey and circumstances should be taken into account on why a player is coming in with top speed.

There are 5 Flyers in the frame, 1 Capital on the boards and Wilson entering the zone. You would imagine that this means the Caps just had a line change. So, Wilson SHOULD be skating as hard as he can to get into the corner to provide support. When he enters the zone the Capitals have possession of the puck.

Wilson takes 2 strides after entering the zone before Schenn picks up the puck. Wilson changes course at the face off dot to intercept Schenn who appears to be heading behind the net. At that point in time :57 in the video, Wilson takes a stride to maneuver around Simmonds. He takes one more stride to accelerate from a direction change. At this point :58 he is at the bottom of the face off circle and Schenn is a step below the icing line. Wilson begins gliding at that point, lines his shoulder up for a perfect check and Schenn begins to turn. Even if Schenn did not see Wilson you can hear his teammates yelling "Watch Out". So right when that was said, he turned slightly. As in the picture above you can see that Wilson makes contact with Schenn' shoulder. Of course he hits the boards because he turned to put himself in a bad position to absorb a hit. He gets himself clobbered.

It's bound to get called but a player needs to get into the zone at top speed to get into the play. Is he supposed to stop or not hit a player (especially when it's not from behind) just because he happened to be coming into the play fast. This is far different than a player who clearly targets a player from a distance and plows him. Wilson was originally aimed for the play along the boards and changes with the change in puck possession. If Schenn is against the boards he probably shrugs this off and keeps playing.

Oh well.. he'll be suspended I am certain but from what I see he made a hockey play. His speed was up but the alternative was to STOP and let Schenn go. If he does that then he's sitting on the bench.

His option is to hit Schenn like a reasonable sportsman. Not kill him. There's a line that seems to have been erased.

Is he supposed to stop or not hit a player (especially when it's not from behind) just because he happened to be coming into the play fast.

Yes. This is exactly the charging rule. I mean, exactly.

42.1 - Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner.

Though it got called a charging major, it could easily have been called a boarding major instead.

And the severity of the impact with the boards determines the severity of the penalty.

Boarding

– A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

he just didn't explode them.

Is he supposed to stop or not hit a player (especially when it's not from behind) just because he happened to be coming into the play fast.

Exploding guys from the other side of the ice isn't hockey Ghost. What is so difficult about this concept?

His option is to hit Schenn like a reasonable sportsman. Not kill him. There's a line that seems to have been erased.

speaking of narratives that are tiresome and played out: the idea that policing the game of hockey so as to eliminate life-threatening hits like that is yet another sign of society's wussification.

gimme a break.

because you know when that wussification really started? about 22,000 years ago, when it was decreed in some rando mud hut village that Cronk was wrong to hit Looah over the head with a club, render her unconscious, and drag her back to his hut in order to make her his wife. those Cronk haters were p u s s i e s, man.

Agreed. There's other ways to stop a player from progressing with the puck that don't involve hitting him at full speed into the boards. He went in shoulder first with the aim to launch Schenn, and took himself out of the play in doing so. A better hockey play would have been a more controlled hit where he ends up with the puck (or at least still standing with a chance to play the puck).

Agreed. There's other ways to stop a player from progressing with the puck that don't involve hitting him at full speed into the boards. He went in shoulder first with the aim to launch Schenn, and took himself out of the play in doing so. A better hockey play would have been a more controlled hit where he ends up with the puck (or at least still standing with a chance to play the puck).

Get back to coaching the Stars, Lindy. :P

Thank You...

Should the 19 year old have just floated aimlessly at the top of the circle and let his guy lose all chance at possession when all 5 Flyers were cornered in the same half of the zone and there was plenty of defensive support in case of transition?

That's how you lose your job.

I just have no idea what some people are looking at. You explained perfectly. If he was making a B-Line charge, Simmonds would have interfered with his trajectory....he was originally going hard for the puck scrum, and was already built up on speed and made a 2 stride acceleration when he realized it was the perfect hit with Schenn dangling there.

He decided to hit Schenn the last 20% of his trajectory from the blueline. That's not intent. That's playing hard, and making a split decision. Shoulder to shoulder....what more does anyone want? You keep taking paychecks from guys for just playing hard, and that's when you will see someone truly lose it out there. If I'm doing 3 years in Attica for eating a grape from the produce bin at Wegmans...I might as well risk 15 years and go rob a jewelry store.

I learned early on to play the guy not the puck. Beat him, then the puck is yours.

3:45 in. This is how you do it. You don't lower your head to try and make a play on the puck, and hope that the nice gentleman behind you has your best interest at heart, like Getzlaf did.

I'm with Ghost on this. It is a hitting game.

Should the 19 year old have just floated aimlessly at the top of the circle and let his guy lose all chance at possession when all 5 Flyers were cornered in the same half of the zone and there was plenty of defensive support in case of transition?

I'm fairly certain no one has suggested that.

I learned early on to play the guy not the puck. Beat him, then the puck is yours.

I'm with Ghost on this. It is a hitting game.

I don't think anyone is arguing that, I (at least) am arguing that there's hitting and then there's driving a player into the boards. If Wilson hits Schenn with 50% of the momentum he did, the result is the same[0] except Schenn isn't helped off the ice when he can't stand up.

[0] mostly the same, Wilson might actually still be standing instead of flying into the boards himself and falling down.

I'm fairly certain no one has suggested that.

I don't think anyone is arguing that, I (at least) am arguing that there's hitting and then there's driving a player into the boards. If Wilson hits Schenn with 50% of the momentum he did, the result is the same[0] except Schenn isn't helped off the ice when he can't stand up.

[0] mostly the same, Wilson might actually still be standing instead of flying into the boards himself and falling down.

Here's an idea....don't take for granted that because you have 3 on 1 in the corner that you can then lallygag with the puck and not get lit up.

There have been a ton of goalies with groin injuries this year. Maybe if Sydney Crosby only wraps around the net with 50% momentum, it will give a chance for the goalie to get across the pipe without having to strain himself.

Everyone is crying wolf with this stuff. I don't think that people are doing it on purpose...I'm just having a hard time figuring out what the triggering mechanism is. Is it media driven? Have we just become bombarded with anti-bullying and kumbaya messages for so long? Have people lost discernment? All of the above?

You sit down at a poker table, prepare to lose your chips. You enter an NHL arena, prepare to get smoked when you are playing ministicks with yourself in the corner for 3 seconds.

NHL DoPS Video: Deryk Engelland Suspended 5 Games

NEW YORK -- Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Deryk Engelland has been suspended for five games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader during NHL Game No. 491 in Detroit on Saturday, Dec. 14, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 19:30 of the first period. Engelland was assessed a match penalty for an illegal check to the head.

Based on his average annual salary, Engelland will forfeit $14,529.90. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Here's an idea....don't take for granted that because you have 3 on 1 in the corner that you can then lallygag with the puck and not get lit up.

There have been a ton of goalies with groin injuries this year. Maybe if Sydney Crosby only wraps around the net with 50% momentum, it will give a chance for the goalie to get across the pipe without having to strain himself.

Everyone is crying wolf with this stuff. I don't think that people are doing it on purpose...I'm just having a hard time figuring out what the triggering mechanism is. Is it media driven? Have we just become bombarded with anti-bullying and kumbaya messages for so long? Have people lost discernment? All of the above?

You sit down at a poker table, prepare to lose your chips. You enter an NHL arena, prepare to get smoked when you are playing ministicks with yourself in the corner for 3 seconds.

Perhaps it's because we feel a little guilty watching a sport that may result in a crippling, life-long injury for entertainment. Especially when the solution is "don't be a dick and drill people into the boards".

Perhaps it's because we feel a little guilty watching a sport that may result in a crippling, life-long injury for entertainment. Especially when the solution is "don't be a dick and drill people into the boards".

No...the solution is to eliminate body contact....or play by pond rules, so when a shot goes wide, the defense starts with it behind their net. We can play without boards.

Again, Marcus Foligno took 2 legitimate charges on the same shift last night. Nothing was called because the guy didn't take for granted that he was going to peel off. I took it as Marcus trying to get some momentum going having just gone down 2-0. I am sure the coach applauded his effort. If one of his rivals went flying into the boards, and knocked himself woozy, a penalty would have been called, and Twitter would have lit up, and we'd have 28 Youtube angles of it and people clamoring for suspensions.

Wilson didn't even have the intent Foligno did. He was taking a path to help gain possession. When possession was lost, the next smartest thing to do was to take out the guy with the puck...who happened to make himself a sitting duck because instead of getting rid of the thing, he figured Wilson would pull a Hecht or Hodgson and peel off like an overripe banana. Sorry Schenn.....some 19 year olds are as big as you and don't take their job for granted.

Save the outrage for real things. The NHL and NFL are pussifying themselves enough. I used to LOVE watching both sports. Now I only watch the NHL playoffs and most Sabres games with occasional other regular season games....and as much as I still watch football, the flow of the game between BS calls and replay and TV timeouts is really starting to drag that down.

Hear, hear.

No...the solution is to eliminate body contact....or play by pond rules, so when a shot goes wide, the defense starts with it behind their net.

Yes. Because God forbid we have a continuum, grey areas, evolution of standards, or any ambiguity whatsoever.

I used to LOVE watching both sports. Now I only watch the NHL playoffs and most Sabres games with occasional other regular season games....and as much as I still watch football, the flow of the game between BS calls and replay and TV timeouts is really starting to drag that down.

With all we've learned about the consequences of playing these games as blood sport, I can't understand calls for a return to the way things were -- when men were men, guys got their bells run or eggs scrambled, but soldiered forward for our entertainment.

No thanks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.