Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Every so often a bruin does something the the league can't ignore (see: Marchand, Brad). This is one of those cases. Fortunately Thornton is a nobody scrub so they can throw the book at him while Jacobs looks the other way.

I'm guessing 10 games. Yay. Basically nothing for skating behind a guy, tripping him, knocking him out, and then continuing to hit him.

A real league would give both him and Neal a year off. They can come back to the league on December 7th, 2014. But the NHL isn't a real league.

5 games for Neal. 10 games for Thornton. Brain trauma for everyone.

I eagerly await DeLuca's defense of Thornton as a hockey player. Eagerly.

Compared to Scott, Thornton is Gordie Howe.

It was an ugly play and Thornton will get suspended, probably somewhere in the 5-10 game range. Neal will likely miss some games for the knee to Marchand and Orpik may even see a game or two for his hit on Eriksson.

Played right into the Bruins hands. That was their kind of game.

An intense game between two teams that know they stand in each others way of a Stanley Cup.

I'm thinking 10+.....Scott got his for a hit that was made during play. This was after the whistle, a slewfoot and punches that resulted in a stretcher being hauled out. In terms of plays that could easily be avoided, scrums after the whistle are easy prey.

To up the ante, does anyone know if he came off the bench to do this?

I'm thinking 10+.....Scott got his for a hit that was made during play. This was after the whistle, a slewfoot and punches that resulted in a stretcher being hauled out. In terms of plays that could easily be avoided, scrums after the whistle are easy prey.

To up the ante, does anyone know if he came off the bench to do this?

If the ref would have added a 10 min misconduct to Thornton's roughing penalty the play may have been avoided, or least possibly had a different result.

They should take a serious look at fining teams who engage in "revenge penalties."

If the ref would have added a 10 min misconduct to Thornton's roughing penalty the play may have been avoided, or least possibly had a different result.

They should take a serious look at fining teams who engage in "revenge penalties."

Solid points....although the league seems to like this type of thing. Their broadcast partner drums up interest for games by calling them "rivalries" and showing stuff just like this. How many times did we see Lucic run Miller prior to our nationally televised game?

As we watch clutching and grabbing go up, offense going down (even more so here), it seems like the league itself has zero concept on what it should be marketing and enforcing.

Maybe as a skater, but definitely not as a sportsman.

You should take a serious look at your posts from a few years ago, when the Sabres weren't exacting enough "revenge." You might want to start with the Lucic thread.

Maybe as a skater, but definitely not as a sportsman.

You should take a serious look at your posts from a few years ago, when the Sabres weren't exacting enough "revenge." You might want to start with the Lucic thread.

You mean when the Sabres didn't have the heart to stick up for themselves?

The more i watched the worser it looks to me, he had no reason to do that, just plain thuggery and nothing honorable about that.

Tripping a guy from behind, slamming head on ice, then keep bashing punches into him while he is knocked out.

If im Orpik im seeing this guy in court again, this has nothing to do with the sport or the game.

Certainly its much worser then what kaleta or scott done this year, because that was actually part of the game, "bad hits".

This is just assault, he should be suspended for as long as Orpik is out, and atleast untill ferbruary for me.

It was an ugly play and Thornton will get suspended, probably somewhere in the 5-10 game range. Neal will likely miss some games for the knee to Marchand and Orpik may even see a game or two for his hit on Eriksson.

aa the deluca spin. Scott makes a hockey play (body check) and he should be bum rushed outta the league. Thornton commits a act that is so against the code that many had to look up the rule that the nhl is using for his hearing because it is enforced so rarely and what do we hear? a tongue in cheek Gordie comparision and meantion that it was a ugly play

An intense game between two teams that know they stand in each others way of a Stanley Cup.

Is five to ten games what you want or what you expect?

The Thornton assault is inacceptable and gut less. To jump on a player from behind/ side and then knock him out whilelying defenseless on the ground is shameless backdoor alley style where a thug knife down his victim.

This must be 20 games, but the Boston bonus will lead to delucas suggestion.

The hit on Marchand was also gutless ( although particullar Marchand earned it somehow).

I am not sure about the Orpik hit yet. He did not need his elbow to balance after the hit like Scott, but i looked evil. Erikson is really unlucky. And while Seguin dominates in Dallas, Boston will complain about the trade, because currently it seems to be they lost this trade by a large margin.

aa the deluca spin. Scott makes a hockey play (body check) and he should be bum rushed outta the league. Thornton commits a act that is so against the code that many had to look up the rule that the nhl is using for his hearing because it is enforced so rarely and what do we hear? a tongue in cheek Gordie comparision and meantion that it was a ugly play

If you consider what Scott did a "hockey play" there is no point continuing the conversation.

Anyway, how about that Tyler Sequin?

Is five to ten games what you want or what you expect?

It's what I expect. I wouldn't mind a longer suspension, this garbage has to stop sometime.

The Thornton assault is inacceptable and gut less. To jump on a player from behind/ side and then knock him out whilelying defenseless on the ground is shameless backdoor alley style where a thug knife down his victim.

The hit on Marchand was also gutless ( although particullar Marchand earned it somehow).

I am not sure about the Orpik hit yet. He did not need his elbow to balance after the hit like Scott, but i looked evil. Erikson is really unlucky. And while Seguin dominates in Dallas, Boston will complain about the trade, because currently it seems to be they lost this trade by a large margin.

The Neal hit on Marchand is a play that could have gotten a lot uglier. I will guess the word "intent" will be used a lot by the league and the Penguins when the play is discussed. I love Neal as a player, I find it hard to believe that a player like Neal who has great skill and vision on the ice didn't know exactly what he was going.

Marchand is gutless little ######, and any cheapshot that comes his way is well earned, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry, but that's just the way I feel - About time some bad karma came right back in the faces of the Bruins, and I couldn't think of better recepient than Brad Marchand.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Of course, all of this wouldn't be a problem if the NHL actually enforced their own rules properly, but when certain teams get away with murder night and night out, it can hardly come as a surprise to anyone that the players decide to take matters into their own hands, eventually.

The Neal hit on Marchand is a play that could have gotten a lot uglier. I will guess the word "intent" will be used a lot by the league and the Penguins when the play is discussed. I love Neal as a player, I find it hard to believe that a player like Neal who has great skill and vision on the ice didn't know exactly what he was going.

Based on the way the league has done things in the past, I don't think Neal will get anything. Marchand wasn't hurt and they'll say you can't prove intent.

They will miss one easy thing that I would say makes it very obvious that Neal knew what he did. If that was an accident, he would have turned back and made a "WTF was that" look. That never happened.

Having seen the knee to Marchand, I feel badly about what I said up thread - it was not part of a hockey play as I assumed it was, it was an unnecessary and cheap play by Neil and I don't think anybody, even a ###### gobbler like Marchand, should have to deal with that crap.

This video of the Erikcson hit is pretty interesting. Orpick blew him up and it didn't look to me like he had the puck, and then note Charra going head hunting at 18 seconds, leaving his feet and elbow out - but of course it was Charra so there will be no call from the league.

http://ndgoon.blogsp...-after-hit.html

The NHL, and the players themselves, need to reign this crap in before somebody gets killed. I love the physical nature of hockey, but this stuff is getting out of hand.

Edited by Campy

Having seen the knee to Marchand, I feel badly about what I said up thread - it was not part of a hockey play as I assumed it was, it was an unnecessary and cheap play by Neil and I don't think anybody, even a ###### gobbler like Marchand, should have to deal with that crap.

This video of the Erikcson hit is pretty interesting. Orpick blew him up and it didn't look to me like he had the puck, and then note Charra going head hunting at 18 seconds, leaving his feet and elbow out - but of course it was Charra so there will be no call from the league.

http://ndgoon.blogsp...-after-hit.html

The NHL, and the players themselves, need to reign this crap in before somebody gets killed. I love the physical nature of hockey, but this stuff is getting out of hand.

I missed the Chara attempt the first time around. The league allowing him to be suspension free (I think), and thus able to call him a clean player with no priors is an absolute joke.

Very interested to see how Shanahan deals with Thornton though. Yes, he's more talented than John Scott. That said, he's still a plug who wouldn't have a roster spot if fighting was eradicated from the game. He's easy prey to make a statement that the NHL is serious about cleaning things up.

In reality, I see a comical 5-10 game suspension for a play that occurred after a whistle and necessitated Thornton skating the length of the ice to engage Orpik. And I see Neal getting 1-2 for outright stupidity. That said....I hope he uses the Lucic defense. "I had my head down and I was skating after the puck, I didn't see him".

The difference between Scott's hit and what Thornton did last night aren't even comparable. It's a combination of the whole thing that is disgusting, the grab from behind, slewfoot, then punching his head into the ice. I don't think he will, but he should miss half the season for that.

Nothing I have ever seen from John Scott tells me that he would ever do something like that.

If you consider what Scott did a "hockey play" there is no point continuing the conversation.

Anyway, how about that Tyler Sequin?

a body check is a hockey play. You can argue the distance travel or about who delivered it but body checking is hockey. what thorton did is bush league and something i would expect to hear happening in the echl or some such lower league.

Seguin is looking real good and making the B's look bad for giving up on him. Still thou he is young and has the partyboy reputation. I hope he grows out of it but his coach doesnt have a great track record dealing with players like that

The difference between Scott's hit and what Thornton did last night aren't even comparable. It's a combination of the whole thing that is disgusting, the grab from behind, slewfoot, then punching his head into the ice. I don't think he will, but he should miss half the season for that.

Nothing I have ever seen from John Scott tells me that he would ever do something like that.

Until last night, I would have said the same thing about Thornton. There are classless idiots wearing the spoked B. Past actions showed he wasn't one of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.