Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

This literally happened two months ago.

As opposed to figuratively?

It is because of people like D4rk that theOxford English Dictionary now has two definitions for literally, the first is what it should mean and the second is the new addition of a way to express emphasis :(

D4rk is making this world a D4rker place

It is because of people like D4rk that theOxford English Dictionary now has two definitions for literally, the first is what it should mean and the second is the new addition of a way to express emphasis :(

There is nothing wrong with my use of the word literally in that context.

Why bother learning proper English, just change the rules. :angel:

It gets better. Barclays was originally going to pay $400M dollars for the naming rights for 20 years (a world record for an indoor arena), but renegotiated down to more than $200M dollars. Barclays does not have or even plan to have any retail bank branches in the US and did not put any of its own ATMs in the building.

Zany.

While they don't have any retail banking locations, I believe they're growing within the credit card industry.

Don't see many going to Nets Basketball games either

Barclay's Center is the highest grossing arena in the United States. Nets games are usually full and concerts are highly attended. The place sits in the heart of NYC and is accessible by almost every subway and the LIRR. In its first year, Barclay's is beating the pants off of MSG.

The developer, Bruce Ratner didn't build that place to be a basketball arena, or a hockey arena. It's meant to be a world class entertainment venue. Their business model is to fill that place on as many nights as possible, whether it's Barbara Streisand or the Islanders doesn't matter.

Th hockey community in NYC is really excited about hockey in Brooklyn. The isles devils game next weekend has great buzz right now, and I don't know anyone who's a fan of the game who won't be attending.

As far as naming rights, Barclays dos retail, corporate, Investment banking and personal wealth management. They may not do retail banking in the US, but they have attached their name to the highest grossing arena sits right smack in the center of the nation's finance capital. It makes sense.

The scoreboard, seating arrangement, and sight lines seem screwy for now, but they are supposed to reconfigure the floor of the arena before the Isles make the final move there in 2015.

Edited by Tom Backyard

So, the Islanders were on the front page of NHL.com because they visited the Barclay Center, which, I didn't realize until now, was retrofitted from basketball-only. So it's weird. And pretty laughable.

barclays-center-seating-chart.jpg

Keep in mind that this cost $1 billion to build. That's 5.3 times what it would cost to build the FNC today. And because it wasn't designed for hockey, the atrocious sightlines eliminate seats. It seats "14,500" for hockey, which is the smallest venue in the NHL and a move down from the 16,170 of the (dilapidated) Coliseum. It's like the team is skating in a world class college hockey rink- three NCAA venues have higher capacity. More pics here, including a pic of the scoreboard that's over there.

a_560x375.jpg

I'm not knocking it that hard. I'm sure for the dollars-per-seat spent, it's a nice lavish place to catch a game, and everyone knows it'll be better than the Coliseum, but damned if it isn't funny looking. WANG'D.

$14.50?

Not bad at all.

Barclay's Center is the highest grossing arena in the United States. Nets games are usually full and concerts are highly attended. The place sits in the heart of NYC and is accessible by almost every subway and the LIRR. In its first year, Barclay's is beating the pants off of MSG.

The developer, Bruce Ratner didn't build that place to be a basketball arena, or a hockey arena. It's meant to be a world class entertainment venue. Their business model is to fill that place on as many nights as possible, whether it's Barbara Streisand or the Islanders doesn't matter.

Th hockey community in NYC is really excited about hockey in Brooklyn. The isles devils game next weekend has great buzz right now, and I don't know anyone who's a fan of the game who won't be attending.

As far as naming rights, Barclays dos retail, corporate, Investment banking and personal wealth management. They may not do retail banking in the US, but they have attached their name to the highest grossing arena sits right smack in the center of the nation's finance capital. It makes sense.

The scoreboard, seating arrangement, and sight lines seem screwy for now, but they are supposed to reconfigure the floor of the arena before the Isles make the final move there in 2015.

Oh no.....the Long Island version of I Know Physics!......... :)

Saw an article this morning that was a link from the Vanek story that says Bylsma believes Fleury and Vokoun is the best goalie tandem in the league. I didn't realise Vokoun was THAT good

**Fleury, the most overrated goaltender in Hockey**

Bylsma, the most overrated coach in hockey.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 22m

First bad concussion of NHL pre-season: PHX's Rusty Klesla KO'd on hit by LA's Jordan Nolan. No penalty on play. NHL currently reviewing.

Should we start a new Shenanigans thread or do we think he will get this one right?

From the words of more than a few writers, that hit was brutal. He left his feet and everything. BizNasty probably getting 10 games for leaving the bench too.

From the words of more than a few writers, that hit was brutal. He left his feet and everything. BizNasty probably getting 10 games for leaving the bench too.

Have you found a video of it yet? I was looking but didn't see anything.

I should note if Bissonnette left the bench to beat the crap out of Nolan, good for him. That hit sounds pretty ridiculous.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.