2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Well grigs and carrier are under contract and ahl eligible next year so ill assume we see them. Kea, Nelson, Austin, Locke can all play in the ahl next year as well if we get them contracts.

Baptiste and zadorov can't play in the ahl next year, but I think both are ready. I don't think any other chl player is ready

Edited by Numark

Thanks for the links 26.

Man, Zadorov just looks huge out there, he's got the bulk we always wished Myers had, and a nasty streak too. With him developing this offensive game this year I think we might end up with the defensive steal of the 2013 draft.

Somewhat related, here's espn's (Burnside?) take on how important defense is in the NHL today, FWIW

"It's all about defense

Finally, if you need a refresher course in the building blocks to a playoff spot, take a look at the bottom 10 teams in goals allowed per game. How many are going to the playoffs? If you said zero, you might be right.

The Washington Capitals (22nd in goals allowed) have a shot. They are tied with theToronto Maple Leafs (26th) at 80 points, but the Leafs are in free fall and both teams sit behind the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets, both of whom also have 80 points but hold the wild-card tiebreakers as of Wednesday.

Spread the net wider to include the bottom 12 teams and the Hurricanes and Dallas Starsare also looking at a spring without playoff dates. Simple stuff, no?

How about the top 10 teams when it comes to keeping the puck out of their own net? All are locks to still be on the ice when the playoffs start April 16. Again, simple stuff, no?"

http://espn.go.com/b...ot-defense-wins

Edited by WildCard

I think something needs to be said for the Sabres current plan of keeping guys in Rochester longer than most fans want. I think it works. Instead of rusing guys up, play them in the minors for a year or even two longer than most fans want. There may be exceptions, but having a guy play as a regular on the big club before 21 may not be the best idea.

Even with those exeptions, it still may not be a great idea. A guy who is "good enough" to make the big club at 19 may be a better play at 23 or 24 if he wasn't on the big club at 19 but stayed in the minors.

So if the Sabres Draft Reinhart or Bennet this year...does that mean they should stay in Juniors for another year or two..spend another season in Rochester, and then finally make it to Buffalo in 3 years? It MAY not be the worst idea.

I am starting to more and more like Euros and U.S. guys in college over Junior players. As we all know with Grigorenko now...when you commit to Canadian Juniors....it might be a couple years before you can go to the minors. I'd rather have my guys under my own control with my own coaches in the AHL (or maybe even the ECHL) than dominating and floating through in Juniors.

Edited by mjd1001

@SabresProspects

Mikhail Grigorenko gets on the board with his first goal of the playoffs. QUE tied 1-1 with R-N in 2nd. Grigo 1-6-7 in fourth playoff game.

Drummondville LW William Carrier (lower) missing from the lineup sheet for the second straight night.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

With all the giddiness about the supposedly rich pipeline, we shouldn't forget what happens when the stench of losing permeates an organization:

Kevin Oklobzija@kevinoDandC 23m

Losers of 8 straight (0-6-2), #Amerks now 9th in AHL's Western Conference, 1 point behind Charlotte and 1 up on 10th-place Oklahoma City.

Expand

There's a high risk that the Amerks miss the playoffs.

So much for Griggy and the other juniors getting some AHL playoff experience.

Great job, Darcy.

With all the giddiness about the supposedly rich pipeline, we shouldn't forget what happens when the stench of losing permeates an organization:

Losers of 8 straight (0-6-2), #Amerks now 9th in AHL's Western Conference, 1 point behind Charlotte and 1 up on 10th-place Oklahoma City.

Expand

Great job, Darcy.

Well we have been using echl goalies and D due to sabres injuries. And "supposedly rich pipeline"? The vast majority of our supposedly rich pipeline isn't in Rochester...

Well we have been using echl goalies and D due to sabres injuries. And "supposedly rich pipeline"? The vast majority of our supposedly rich pipeline isn't in Rochester...

The Amerks were actually really good for a few weeks there before we stole all their best players due to injuries in Buffalo.

Agreed on the goalies, but isn't Rudy the only defenseman they Sabres have called up? I know Risto was up for a cup of coffee, but he's been in Rochester for most of the losing streak, innit? Although I guess you have to include McNabb too.

And did the Sabres snat ch (hah!) any of the Amerks' forwards?

Agreed on the goalies, but isn't Rudy the only defenseman they Sabres have called up? I know Risto was up for a cup of coffee, but he's been in Rochester for most of the losing streak, innit? Although I guess you have to include McNabb too.

The scoring issues are not related to the sabres injury bug for the most part, but it doesn't have anything to do with our pipeline either.

But losing both goalies and several defenders definitly contributes to some losses. They are on a cold streak but it had nothing to do with Darcy or our prospect pool in my opinion. Hopefully they pick it up though

There was never any equivalent replacement of McNabb, was there? Maybe sending down some of the younger guys like Pysyk filled that a bit.

The scoring issues are not related to the sabres injury bug for the most part, but it doesn't have anything to do with our pipeline either.

But losing both goalies and several defenders definitly contributes to some losses. They are on a cold streak but it had nothing to do with Darcy or our prospect pool in my opinion. Hopefully they pick it up though

I think this is one of the reasons TM felt comfortable trading McNabb for forward prospects. Our biggest weakness in both AHL and NHL IMPO is the lack of naturally goal scorers.

I'm just ready to see grigs in Rochester. People forget that most of is in the game day threads thought grigs looked good this year. He wasn't scoring, but he wasn't as bad as we remember though either. I think the whole mess/drama the followed makes us see his nhl games with a more negative lens if that makes sense.

Expand

Great job, Darcy.

As others have pointed out, this losing streak isn't because the Sabres are losing. There is no causal stench. The Amerks weren't exactly world beaters, then they lost several of their most important players because of various injuries and a trade.

I'm just ready to see grigs in Rochester. People forget that most of is in the game day threads thought grigs looked good this year. He wasn't scoring, but he wasn't as bad as we remember though either. I think the whole mess/drama the followed makes us see his nhl games with a more negative lens if that makes sense.

By the end of his time in the NHL he did look like he was starting to put it together a little bit. And he had a 2 goal game against the Sharks? I'm not too worried about Grigs right now.

No team can lose both goalies and their four best d-men and expect to succeed.

But it sure would be nice for the organization if they can squeak in.

The healthy lineup could do some damage.

In a related note, whiteout (maybe even with) a playoff miracle, Chadd Cassidy is a dead man walking.

@SabresProspects

Check out the night's running recap for A) Kea's nice goal, and B) Zadorov's hipcheck/back body drop ▶ http://www.sabrespro...rov-gets.html …

#Sabres

Season ends for Kea (1+1), Locke with 3-2 OT loss to Erie...Baptiste 2A as SBY stays alive...Austin 1+1, Zadorov huge as Knights sweep Spits

Zadorov looks kinda fun.

http://youtu.be/Vkz5rnsd0j4

#Sabres

My favorite part about that isn't that Zadorov own the guy but that he stops backing away from him. I hate how our defenders just constantly keep backing away. Zadorov really has a ton of potential, I look forward to seeing how he progresses.

Zadorov 5pts 3g,2a in 4playoff games.

Edited by LGR4GM

My favorite part about that isn't that Zadorov own the guy but that he stops backing away from him. I hate how our defenders just constantly keep backing away. Zadorov really has a ton of potential, I look forward to seeing how he progresses.

Zadorov 5pts 3g,2a in 4playoff games.

What a cheap and dirty hit. He should have hit the guy like a man. -ML

On a serious note, I'm worried about what all this losing and not competing is doing to the psyches of the young rookies that have potential but are up with the "big" club this year. Ristolainen, Girgensons, Pysyk, Grigorenko, Larsson, Hackett, Varone, and to a lesser extent Zadorov and Liewen.

Just seeing what a mess things are this year, they can't be looking forward to much. They have the corrupting influence of the do-nothings on the team, the losers, the also-rans, the I'll try hard once inawhiles, the overpaid former "stars", the almost made-its, the borderliner straddlers and the guys who are going to drop off the face of the earth after this season. They're all on the team now influencing our younger players, who might take up their poisonous examples.

When these kids finally achieve their dreams and come up to the big show, they look around them. Half empty stadiums piping in applause, losing left and right with no answers. Hockey executives "in charge" who are do-nothing cronies. Long losing streaks. A modern record of futility in lack of goal-scoring. Crap hockey all the time, not even being able to get the puck. Is this what striving all your life to achieve being an NHLer is all about?

There's a lot of negatives this year and the youngsters should be protected against it and not exposed to it. I don't care if we bring up an entire ECHL team, we should protect our future stars against the psychological damage they're going to surely get by being part of this tire fire.

You build a team by surrounding good players with other good players. I think TM has a handle on that. But in the meantime, send whatever good players we have down to a team where they have a chance to succeed and build confidence because being on the Sabres at the the time being would develop the opposite of confidence.

Edited by 716