2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

In the Rochester stretch run he looked much the same player we saw in Buffalo.

I don't see him having the hockey sense to rise above the fourth line, but part of that may be the new position.

He does have some puck skill. He can skate, he's a brick and he's not afraid to use that size.

Being a former defensemen, I suspect a checking line role is his upside.

We'll see how he develops covering point in the penalty kill.

I enjoyed what I saw from him.

He always has the effort and drive, but I think he can still surprise us with his skill. The switch to his back-hand right in front of the blue-line to enter the zone was very nice

So Girgensons jerseys are going to be flying off the shelf next season. Wouldn't be surprised if he beat out whatever Sam we pick.

Edited by WildCard

I think Girgs is going to surprise us with his offensive growth.

This board has done an excellent job of holding back the hyperbole, but it's getting really hard to temper the optimism.

Future captain is almost a given. But the league's best second-line centre could be percolating in that kid.

This board has done an excellent job of holding back the hyperbole, but it's getting really hard to temper the optimism.

Future captain is almost a given. But the league's best second-line centre could be percolating in that kid.

I'm not sure if that was an ultimate mucker goal or the signs of really nice hands

McCabe.

Yea but I feel as though if anyone was going to beat McCabe, Zemgus is the only one that's okay.

Zemgus is fearless, trying to temper expectations but this is the guy you can win a cup with.

I liked the fact McCabe got beat there.

Think that isn't going to mean something back in Buffalo?

Even as an opponent Girgs is setting the standard.

And I think McCabe is enough of a competitor to want to match it.

That's how young franchises are built.

Yea but I feel as though if anyone was going to beat McCabe, Zemgus is the only one that's okay.

Zemgus is fearless, trying to temper expectations but this is the guy you can win a cup with.

I liked the fact McCabe got beat there.

Think that isn't going to mean something back in Buffalo?

Even as an opponent Girgs is setting the standard.

And I think McCabe is enough of a competitor to want to match it.

That's how young franchises are built.

Holy mackerel.

These posts are almost enough to defibrillate my nearly-flatlined optimism.

Thanks boys.

Besides the obvious improvement in point totals, Nick Baptiste took a giant stride forward this year and I believe will end up being one of the top 20 players to come out of a deep draft class. I don't want to get too carried away, but IMPO he will make a solid second line player (~20-25 goals). I went back and watched some of his games and he has a tremendous first step coupled with above average net presence. His hands are solid and I don't think he will shy away from the physicality of the much bigger NHL. I was wondering what others thoughts are on him especially focusing on his limitations or possible negative attributes?

He was considered a "sleeper" going into the 2013 NHL draft, by number of places.

I had a hard time finding the article I read about him, but I did find this...

http://stateofhockey...ers-steals.html

"3. RW, Nick Baptiste (Sudbury, OHL) Height: 6'1" Weight: 189lbs Shoots: Right

ISS rank: 48th, The Hockey News' rank: 63rd, NHL Central Scouting's (NA) rank: 61st

2012-13 Stats:66GP, 21G, 27A, 48pts, 44pim's, -1

Talent Analysis: Blazing speed and a relentless motor is what the scouts consistently rave about this kid. After having a good 2nd half to the season Baptiste rose on the draft charts, going from 105th at the NHL Central Scouting mid-term rankings to 61st. Baptiste's wheels are what get him noticed but he's also started to show he has some good finish as well. His defensive game is still a work in progress but he brings the effort necessary to develop this part of his game to make him a terrific two-way winger. He may be more of an instinctual player than others available in this draft, but his competitive drive and skillset make him an attractive later round selection."

(I'll post the original article I read if I find it, as it was from a much more credible source, like "The Hockey News" maybe?)

EDIT: I actually feel like this article got some of its info from the one I read, as Mitch Wheaton was another "sleeper."

Here are two other articles I found that I remember reading about him...after hearing about him and searching for information on him.

The Hockey Writers - Next Ones!

http://thehockeywrit...ospect-profile/

NHL Draft tracker: Nick Baptiste (interview included)

http://sports.yahoo....&ysp_frm_woah=1

Edited by Bob Malooga

If that happens, talk about a steal. I have to say when he was drafted when Teravainen was still on the board, I questioned the selection. But, watching him game in game out, has changed my opinion.

If that happens, talk about a steal. I have to say when he was drafted when Teravainen was still on the board, I questioned the selection. But, watching him game in game out, has changed my opinion.

Even if not, he'll be an elite 3rd line C with a bit of a scoring touch. Even in that case he'd likely be a beast in the playoffs just based on his skill set and style.