2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

@AmerksHockey

Roster Move: Center Mikhail Grigorenko has been reassigned to the #Amerks from Quebec (QMJHL). http://bit.ly/1lwDr2q

NEXT STOP: ROCHESTER

Mikhail Grigorenko has been reassigned to the Rochester Americans

20140330-Grigorenko-Top.jpg

The journey continues for Buffalo's 2012 first-round draft pick Mikhail Grigorenko.

It was announced on Sunday afternoon that Grigorenko has been reassigned to the AHL's Rochester Americans from the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL). This will be Grigorenko's fourth team this season after starting the year in Buffalo.

Grigorenko appeared in 23 games for Quebec this season, recording 39 points (15+24) and six penalty minutes. Grigorenko collected points in 19 of the 23 games he played for Quebec, including 11 multi-point efforts. The 19-year-old also went on a late-season tear with 16 points in his last seven games. Grigorenko, who turns 20 on May 16, registered nine points (1+8) in Quebec's five-game playoff loss to Rouyn-Noranda.

The 6-foot-3, 209-pound Grigorenko has also played in 18 NHL games with the Buffalo Sabres this season, recording three points (2+1) and two penalty minutes. Both of Grigorenko's goals this season were scored in a 6-2 loss in Anaheim on November 8.

Prior to joining Quebec on January 11, Grigorenko scored a team-leading 5 goals and 8 points in seven games for Russia at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship in Sweden.

A native of Khabarovsk, Russia, Grigorenko collected 178 points (85+93) in 115 career QMJHL games with Quebec. He has also registered eight points (3+5) in 43 career NHL games with the Sabres and played in two Calder Cup playoff games with the Amerks last season.

Grigorenko will be joining the Amerks

Kevin Oklobzija, March 30, 2014

Center Mikhail Grigorenko has been assigned to the Rochester Americans and should be in their lineup for Wednesday's 7:05 p.m. home game against the Syracuse Crunch.

His arrival instantly will give the Amerks an upgrade in terms of raw offensive talent. Grigorenko has size and very good puck skills. What he now must prove is that he can be effective playing against men.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So I have heard a couple times paul Hamilton of wgr state that in his opinion the sabres have 5 studs....I emailed him to figure out who they all were in his opinion outside of the ones I could think of...his 5 were...risto..zadorov...girgensons...pysyk...and possibly compher....he believes Myers is getting back to stud status....what about armia? I thought the organization was expecting big things from him...

So I have heard a couple times paul Hamilton of wgr state that in his opinion the sabres have 5 studs....I emailed him to figure out who they all were in his opinion outside of the ones I could think of...his 5 were...risto..zadorov...girgensons...pysyk...and possibly compher....he believes Myers is getting back to stud status....what about armia? I thought the organization was expecting big things from him...

So far this season (from what I've heard here), Armia has done very little to play his way onto that list. Maybe he's just adjusting, maybe he never will. Those guys minus Compher have already shown positives in the NHL.

Buffalo Sabres have balanced group of prospects in NCAA and Europe

There is no doubt the Buffalo Sabres have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league. Their prospect pool is extremely balanced, with players at various levels of competition from every corner of the hockey world.

Among their European and collegiate prospects, they have an extremely promising goalie, two top-notch NCAA defensemen who play vastly different styles, and four quality forwards, all of whom will have a chance to be significant contributors at the NHL level.

Yet, none of the players listed below were first-round picks, a testament to Buffalo's ability to find quality talent in the later rounds. This is a good sign going forward, because rebuilding teams need to find value throughout the draft, not just in the early rounds.

There was some talk by the broadcasters that Fasching could be leaning towards turning pro next year…is that a decision he solely gets to make or do the Sabres have to offer him an ELC first? and would they do that if thats the case. I feel like they may want him to develop a little bit more at Minnesota first

There was some talk by the broadcasters that Fasching could be leaning towards turning pro next year…is that a decision he solely gets to make or do the Sabres have to offer him an ELC first? and would they do that if thats the case. I feel like they may want him to develop a little bit more at Minnesota first

Heard that too. I suspect any consideration of turning pro after this season has to do with the medical condition of his siblings and the associated cost of their medical care.

Buffalo Sabres have balanced group of prospects in NCAA and Europe

"Yet, none of the players listed below were first-round picks, a testament to Buffalo's ability to find quality talent in the later rounds. This is a good sign going forward, because rebuilding teams need to find value throughout the draft, not just in the early rounds."

Again this I think is a large reason the Edmonton Oilers still suck. They have almost no one outside of the first round who you could consider promising. Sabres have Baptiste, Possler, McCabe, Ullmark, Fasching. It pays to be able to hit on a few players outside of that first round. Let us hope TM can use some our later picks this year to add to the list.

Heard that too. I suspect any consideration of turning pro after this season has to do with the medical condition of his siblings and the associated cost of their medical care.

That could be but if I were him, I would take the extra year in college and turn pro next year.

Edited by LGR4GM

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT - 3/31/14

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

NCAA

Hudson Fasching (2013, fourth round) recorded three shots on goal Sunday as Minnesota advanced to the 2014 NCAA Tournament Frozen Four with a 4-0 shutout of St. Cloud State. On Saturday, Fasching scored from the edge of the crease as the Gophers opened the tourney with a 7-3 victory over Robert Morris. Fasching's marker, which snapped a personal six-game goal drought, gives the freshman winger 29 points (13+16) in 38 games heading into Minnesota’s national semifinal tilt with North Dakota on Thursday, Apr. 10 (8:30 pm ET, ESPN2).

On Friday, Jake McCabe (2012, second round) logged a minus-four rating as Wisconsin was bounced from the NCAA Tournament Midwest Regional with a 5-2 loss to North Dakota. A competent two-way defender, McCabe completes the campaign with career bests of eight goals and 25 points in 36 games for the Badgers.

Wisconsin winger Brad Navin (2011, seventh round) received limited work in the Badgers’ loss to North Dakota. The third-year man amassed nine points (4+5) this season while functioning in mostly a checking line role.

Anthony Florentino (2013, fifth round) scored his fifth goal of the season Friday as Providence advanced to the NCAA Tournament East Regional Final with a 4-0 victory over Quinnipiac. Florentino’s marker came off a wrist shot from the left point that sailed through a maze of bodies to put the Friars up 2-0 in the game's 26th minute. Florentino, who saw his freshman season come to an end Saturday in a 3-1 loss to Union, finishes the year with five goals and 11 points, while leading all Friars rearguards with a plus-12 rating.

If he gets called up, I hope it's because one of our "top 6" got injured, so he can step into a skill role rather than a checking role. Otherwise, leave him in Roch.

I can 100% agree with you. He needs to take the longer path to make it back to Buffalo.

@SabresProspects

#Sabres prospects named OHL awards finalists: Zadorov (D-man of the Year); Bailey, Baptiste (Most Outstanding Player) http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ohl-announces-2013-14-award-finalists/161334 …

@SabresProspects

Justin Kea (2012, third round) has signed his three-year entry-level deal with the #Sabres, per @corybutzin http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ssf/2014/04/buffalo_sabres_sign_saginaw_sp.html …

@SabresProspects

Justin Kea (2012, third round) has signed his three-year entry-level deal with the #Sabres, per @corybutzin http://www.mlive.com...ginaw_sp.html …

With that, I figured that they may try to do this:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

Sounds like University of Wisconsin junior defenceman Jake McCabe leaning towards turning pro now to sign with BUF. Was 2012 2nd rd pick.

04/01 – SABRES SIGN FORWARD JUSTIN KEA (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

BUFFALO, N.Y. (April 1, 2014) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Justin Kea to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Kea (6'4", 210 lbs., 2/7/94) recently completed his fourth season with the Saginaw Spirit (OHL) by logging career-best totals in goals (22), assists (27), points (49) and plus-minus (+14) through 58 games played. He added four points (1+3) in the Spirit’s five-game playoff series against the Erie Otters.

The Woodville, Ontario native was selected by the Sabres in the third round (73rd overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. In four OHL seasons with the Spirit, he appeared in 253 games and totaled 117 points (51+66).