2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

For goalies I don't think the larger size is easier or harder. It is just different. Angles are different. How and where you put rebounds are different.

I would think if the other team's offense has more room to work with, your job is tougher.

Also worth noting: MoDo is bad this year. So theoretically Ullmark's numbers aren't inflated by having a great team in front of him.

Fun extrapolations for Zadorov:

19gp, 7g, 10a, 17pts

In a 68 game season... 25g, 36a for 61pts and a +/- of +50... he had 25pts last year in 63 games.

wow…incredible improvement and incredible numbers for a defenseman. I am so excited for this kid, he just keeps getting better. I guess they weren't kidding when they said after they drafted him last year that he had some untapped offensive potential. Combine that with his defense, physicality and attitude, and we could be looking at something special in the future

I should add that it has only been 19 games so its a small sample size, but if he somehow maintains that pace then that is very exciting

Edited by sabre snipe

wow…incredible improvement and incredible numbers for a defenseman. I am so excited for this kid, he just keeps getting better. I guess they weren't kidding when they said after they drafted him last year that he had some untapped offensive potential. Combine that with his defense, physicality and attitude, and we could be looking at something special in the future

I should add that it has only been 19 games so its a small sample size, but if he somehow maintains that pace then that is very exciting

Well it's still only a 19 game sample, though. Which was part of Liger's point.

Putting numbers on a pace compared to what they did previously only works with larger sample sizes, and can only be taken to mean so much. Who knows what Zadorov does over the rest of the season. He won't play the full 60 games obviously. But I'm willing to bet that his numbers will still look remarkedly improved.

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT - 2/3/14

Baptiste's hot run cooled by injury; Zadorov tallies twice; Malone getting top-line minutes at Harvard

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Nicholas Baptiste (2013, third round) picked up four points Thursday, striking twice on the power play and adding a pair of assists as Sudbury skated to a 7-5 victory over Barrie. The outburst gives Baptiste 21 multiple-point efforts this season, while his second tally of the night made him the first Sabres prospect to hit the 30-goal mark.

Baptiste has been on fire since the flip of the calendar, notching 10 goals and 18 points in 13 January games. But the hot streak hit a speed bump on Friday when the talented winger exited the game with London after taking a first-period hit. He sat out the following night’s tilt with Sault Ste. Marie.

OHL

Nikita Zadorov (2013, first round) scored twice on the power play Saturday to earn the game's number one star as London earned a 5-4 victory over Barrie. The first-period markers give the big defender seven goals in 19 games this season, eclipsing the six he posted in all of 2012-13 (63 games). With the World Junior experience behind him, Zadorov has settled into a dominant groove with five goals, eight points, and a plus-nine rating in helping the Knights to five straight wins, while supplying a major physical presence.

For goalies I don't think the larger size is easier or harder. It is just different. Angles are different. How and where you put rebounds are different.

International is another 2x12 feet in the ends. Or an extra 24 sq feet.

I've never really heard it mentioned much whether it is harder or not. It is probably what you are used to.

International is another 2x12 feet in the ends. Or an extra 24 sq feet.

I've never really heard it mentioned much whether it is harder or not. It is probably what you are used to.

I don't remember where I read it, it was quite awhile ago, but I did read somewhere that there is a good bit of difference in how a goalie plays the angles and plays rebounds on an international ice surface.

I would think if the other team's offense has more room to work with, your job is tougher.

Also worth noting: MoDo is bad this year. So theoretically Ullmark's numbers aren't inflated by having a great team in front of him.

The counter point is, more room to work means more time for the goalie to adjust to the play.

Which D-man is the odd man out?

If Risto,Zadorov, and McCabe all pan out who do we keep?

Myers

Ehrhoff

Pysyk

McNabb

Ruhwedal

Weber

McBain

only 3 of them would stay in the NHL. And besides Weber/Ehrhoff they're all young and typically successful Ds have 1 vet at minimum.

Not sure how people can still discount Rudy completely after the way he has played in his time here. He's looked very good, in my opinion.

He's played really well, no doubt. Without looking around to see who else is this size, 5'11" 181 (as listed on the Sabres site) is awfully small for an NHL D-man.

EDIT: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLDADALL&viewName=bios&sort=player.weight&pg=10

That's the last page of NHL D sorted by weight. McBain and Rudy on that list, there are a couple NHL regulars on there, so it's not out of the question. Essentially, if Rudy can add some offence he may find a place since he seems to play well enough in his own zone.

Edited by MattPie

Kris Baker@SabresProspects

Linus Ullmark stops 27/27 for his third shutout of the year as MODO downs Orebro 1-0. Ullmark's .940 save% remains tops in SHL. #Sabres

Gotta love how well Ullmark's doing!

If Miller's gone, they've gotta be thinking about giving Ullmark a look in training camp. Enroth doesn't seem like he's ever gonna get another W.

If Miller's gone, they've gotta be thinking about giving Ullmark a look in training camp. Enroth doesn't seem like he's ever gonna get another W.

Maybe in the AHL, but I doubt they'd want to throw him in the fire. Would have to adjust to the NHL style of player and new ice quickly.

We were just talking about Bailey, and this looks to be the epitome of what posters mentioned:

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 28s

Justin Bailey notched his first-ever OHL hat trick plus an assist as KIT lost to GUE 10-4. Bailey's first 4-pt night since 2/3/13. #Sabres

He gets four points, but his team loses by six. That's insanity.

i definitely do not think we should put him in at all next year. ahl may be a good choice, but putting him with the projected line up of tank nation next year i would think would be damaging. its actually not even fair to throw enroth in full time either. he will get slaughtered... i think having an experienced FA goalie and enroth splitting time is a much better scenario. even if the goal is tank.

I think Kris Baker said he's signed for another year in Sweden next year, so we're probably going to have to wait.

Maybe in the AHL, but I doubt they'd want to throw him in the fire. Would have to adjust to the NHL style of player and new ice quickly.

We were just talking about Bailey, and this looks to be the epitome of what posters mentioned:

Justin Bailey notched his first-ever OHL hat trick plus an assist as KIT lost to GUE 10-4. Bailey's first 4-pt night since 2/3/13. #Sabres

Considering how crappy his team is that is impressive. It appears that Bailey may be elevating his game to be the offensive engine as opposed to being just one of the wheels going round.

I think Kris Baker said he's signed for another year in Sweden next year, so we're probably going to have to wait.

This is indeed correct. He is a rookie in the SHL and has another year left on his contract.

http://youtu.be/HTJDuwVmtnA

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Buffalo Sabres February 2014 Prospect Rankings

By Kris Baker on Wednesday, February 5, 2014

It's not exactly news that the Buffalo Sabres pipeline is front loaded with a European flavor. That's what happens when you spend your last five first-round picks on players from Finland, Latvia, and Russia. It's a development worth calling out considering the franchise went though four drafts (31 selections) from 2007-2010 without picking a player born outside of North America. Now, six different countries are represented in the top 10.

As always, the rankings exercise provided several tough decisions, not only with slotting players in various segments, but also when coming up with listed positions for guys like Girgensons, Catenacci, and Sundher. All three played the center position in junior (and all three have seen some time there as pros), but numbers have pushed them to the left side at times this year. With left wing depth lacking, it made sense to list them there for the sake of balance. For the record, all three, especially Catenacci, are most comfortable down the middle. But still, it doesn't really matter where you put Girgensons.

We're cutting the preamble short this year. With that in mind, let's get to it.

Building the list is not about slotting players based on who is closest to appearing in the NHL. The rankings are constructed by identifying a player's top end potential (assigning each an upside grade), and then moving the assets up or down based on the likelihood of achieving. It's the fairest way to assess a group of players between the ages of 18-23.

FEBRUARY 2014 TOP 25 RANKINGS

1 - RISTOLAINEN, Rasmus

2 - GIRGENSONS, Zemgus

3 - ZADOROV, Nikita

4 - GRIGORENKO, Mikhail

5 - ARMIA, Joel

6 - PYSYK, Mark

7 - COMPHER, JT

8 - MCCABE, Jake

9 - LARSSON, Johan

10 - ULLMARK, Linus

Edited by 26CornerBlitz