2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=701473&utm_campaign=Wildfire+Message+-+Linus+Ullmark+continues+strong+play+in+Swedish...&utm_content=po_794853&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter

OHL

Nicholas Baptiste (2013, third round) scored the only goal of the game Friday as Sudbury edged Plymouth 1-0. The next night, Baptiste scored his 25th goal of the year as the Wolves lost at Saginaw 4-3. Baptiste has scored in five of eight January starts, and has collected eight points (4+4) in six games since Radek Faksa (DAL) joined the team via trade with Kitchener.

Justin Bailey (2013, second round) opened the game's scoring with his 18th goal Thursday, but Kitchener came up short in a 6-2 loss to London. The big winger, who was blanked in the Rangers’ Friday and Saturday losses, has been using his size more of late en route to scoring nine goals in his last 15 games. The upward trend comes after potting nine through the season's first 30 contests. Bailey is currently second on the Rangers in scoring with 33 points (18+15) through 45 games.

@SabresProspects

Linus Ullmark made 32 saves as MODO downed Frolunda 2-1 in shootout. Ullmark: six straight W, 1.91 GAA (2nd in SHL), .937 sv% (1st) #Sabres

There's a couple of MODO fans on twitter saying they really don't want the Sabres to bring Ullmark over next year. I'd assume they'll get their wish even if Miller or Enroth are moved. Mak seems more likely to take Hackett's spot in Rochester immediately, right?

It'll be interesting to see Ullmark's numbers next year. I'd be willing to bet we'll see him come back down to earth, but if he can keep those numbers up? Wow.

There's a couple of MODO fans on twitter saying they really don't want the Sabres to bring Ullmark over next year. I'd assume they'll get their wish even if Miller or Enroth are moved. Mak seems more likely to take Hackett's spot in Rochester immediately, right?

I'd say it's almost a certainty that they'll let Ullmark play in the SHL at least another year. He likely won't come to North America until he's very near NHL ready. He might get a transition stint in Rochester to get used to the smaller ice.

@SabresProspects

Linus Ullmark made 32 saves as MODO downed Frolunda 2-1 in shootout. Ullmark: six straight W, 1.91 GAA (2nd in SHL), .937 sv% (1st) #Sabres

I'll admit I am warming to this guy. Still unsure if it isn't a single hot season but I am starting to look forward to seeing him play. Does anyone know what is his style? E.g. Miller is positionally very good and reads the play very well to take away the lanes and then aggressively faces the shot

I'll admit I am warming to this guy. Still unsure if it isn't a single hot season but I am starting to look forward to seeing him play. Does anyone know what is his style? E.g. Miller is positionally very good and reads the play very well to take away the lanes and then aggressively faces the shot

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2013/08/buffalo-sabres-2013-14-preseason.html

A big, flexible backstop, the 20-year old Ullmark will be put the test this season with a full-time role for MODO in Sweden's top division following his standout playoff performance in relief of since-departed starter Bernhard Starkbaum. Ullmark gets the job done with excellent timing and simple positioning. He's athletic with good balance and body control. He'll rarely over-challenge or over-commit, instead being very economical while sealing the ice with a strong modern technique. With a quick glove hand rounding off a solid foundation, improving his post-to-post quickness will only assist his development.

Ullmark is signed with MODO through 2014-15, but will need by inked to an NHL deal by June 1, 2014 to remain part of the team's go-forward strategy. For now, though, his flow and rhythm in the crease are enough to tab him as one of the Sabres' top goalie prospects.

@Numark

Thanks for the ranking update.

I have a few quibbles:

1) To me, Armia has been our most disappointing prospect. I can see Grigorenko dropping, but for all the debate around him, he has shown more this year than Armia has.

2) Possler got hurt, but his play prior to his injury was way above his draft.

3) Baptiste (see above) has shown more than Bailey and Hurley.

Curious to see your logic with these guys.

It'll be interesting to see Ullmark's numbers next year. I'd be willing to bet we'll see him come back down to earth, but if he can keep those numbers up? Wow.

I'd say it's almost a certainty that they'll let Ullmark play in the SHL at least another year. He likely won't come to North America until he's very near NHL ready. He might get a transition stint in Rochester to get used to the smaller ice.

Don't worry the numbers will drop.

It is Olympic year :D

@Numark

I have a few quibbles:

1) To me, Armia has been our most disappointing prospect. I can see Grigorenko dropping, but for all the debate around him, he has shown more this year than Armia has.

They way I did the ranking is to group players from similar rounds together. So Compher, Hurley, and Bailey are second round draft picks doing what they are expected to do, so they are still ranked fairly high. While Nick Baptiste is having a great season so far, he is still a lower draft pick only a half a season after he was drafted. So while he skipped above similar players like nelson and kea. If he keeps playing like this the rest of the season and into next season, then he will continue to move up. Same with Armia and Grigorenko. Armia is in his first professional season, which is a big adjustment in all prospects, so since he is a 1st rounder in his first pro season, I don't think anything has happened to drop his stock. However grigorenko had a rough second professional season, so he dropped below the other 1st round draft picks.

In my opinion, a prospect is going to play in minor leagues for years before they hit the NHL, so their rankings should go up or down too much. However, its when they hit the AHL that big changes should occur. If they perform well there, then they should go up a bit. But if they don't perform in their second ahl season (hackett, jerome gauthier-leduc), then their stock stops to drop more and more.

Also as for possler, he is a 5th rounder who had a major injury. I didn't so much drop him, but I moved up other players who are having a solid year so he dropped as a result of getting skipped. I hope he comes back next year and picks up where he stopped

@Numark

I have a few quibbles:

I hope Armia has been playing hurt. Guys like Ennis and Gerbe lit up the A almost immediately. Joel has been invisible.

I hope Armia has been playing hurt. Guys like Ennis and Gerbe lit up the A almost immediately. Joel has been invisible.

Ennis and Gerbe both came from leagues that play on the same size ice. I think it's a bigger difference than many of us realize.

@MatthewWGR: From what im hearing it sounds like Phil Varone may get his first NHL call and Porter and McNabb will go back to Roch. Interesting.

That has got to be trade related right? I thought Mcnabb played really really well last night so i hate that move. Porter is eh

That has got to be trade related right? I thought Mcnabb played really really well last night so i hate that move. Porter is eh

There is a deadline for NHL teams to send players down to the AHL for the Olympic break. Friday at 5 p.m. Likely more related to that.

Why is Varone coming up then?

Can only have a certain number of veterans in Rochester at a time. I'd think the Sabres will want more of their guys that have a future with the team to be there for minutes over the break. Obviously Varone has more of a future than Porter, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Tankalicious