2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

No I really think grigorenko needs to be play in the AHL, not the Q or the NHL. I think he consistently produces at such a high level in the Q, that he needs to take the next step (AHL) to develop the game.

EDIT: I was talking about grigorenko, thought I was in the grigorenko thread...

Do you mean the Sabres made a mistake sending him to the Q?

Do you mean the Sabres made a mistake sending him to the Q?

Oh no I think it was the right choice since he isn't AHL eligible (It was either the Q or keep him in the NHL). He clearly isn't ready for the NHL (no shame in that) and he doesn't have much to prove in the QMJHL. I'm not that down on grigs like everyone else just because he failed in the NHL as a 19 year old. Once he gets a chance to play in the AHL, we will see how he does in first year there. Its a tough enough adjustment to pro hockey in n.america (ask Armia or Gauthier-leduc who dominated the Q but still hasnt adjusted to the AHL in his second year there), so its no surprise that grigs couldn't perform in the highest level of pro hockey.

Edited by Numark

Oh no I think it was the right choice since he isn't AHL eligible (It was either the Q or keep him in the NHL). He clearly isn't ready for the NHL (no shame in that) and he doesn't have much to prove in the QMJHL. I'm not that down on grigs like everyone else just because he failed in the NHL as a 19 year old. Once he gets a chance to play in the AHL, we will see how he does in first year there. Its a tough enough adjustment to pro hockey in n.america (ask Armia or Gauthier-leduc who dominated the Q but still hasnt adjusted to the AHL in his second year there), so its no surprise that grigs couldn't perform in the highest level of pro hockey.

Ahh, got ya! :thumbsup: I am pretty much in the same boat. I see the skill and I saw flashes of it this year but he needs time. May take 1-3 years in the AHL but I think with this management group in place, he can make it.

@SabresProspects

Nikita Zadorov strikes twice on the PP for goals #6 and #7 on the year as London leads Barrie 3-1 late 1st.

@SabresProspects

Sudbury's Nick Baptiste (upper) sitting out tonight after taking a high hit last night vs. London.

@SabresProspects

Joel Armia flashes the quick release for his fifth goal of the year to make it 4-0 Amerks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHHJ5XFfIE …

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Justin Bailey: This year: 20/16/36 in 49 games. Last year: 17/19/36 over 57 games. Pace: 23/19/42.

Not a huge improvement for Bailey, but at least it's something.

But then there's this...

Nick Baptiste: This year: 30/33/63 in 49 games. Last year: 21/27/48 in 66 games. Pace: 40/44/84.

Baptiste is on pace to nearly double his output from last year.

Edited by Tankalicious

Justin Bailey: This year: 20/16/36 in 49 games. Last year: 17/19/36 over 57 games. Pace: 23/19/42.

Not a huge improvement for Bailey, but at least it's something.

But then there's this...

Nick Baptiste: This year: 30/33/63 in 49 games. Last year: 21/27/48 in 66 games. Pace: 40/44/84.

Baptiste is on pace to nearly double his output from last year.

I've been following Bailey all year. His numbers aren't impressive but he's basically on the worst OHL team. Kitchener sucks. I hope he gets traded to a good team next season. He's a long term project anyway.

Edited by Robviously

Does anyone have any knowledge on how good the league Ullmark is playing in is? Comparable to AHL? Any notable alumni?

Supposedly the top Swedish and Finnish leagues are comparable or slightly above the AHL. But then we're seeing with Armia that success in one doesn't mean success in North America.

Supposedly the top Swedish and Finnish leagues are comparable or slightly above the AHL. But then we're seeing with Armia that success in one doesn't mean success in North America.

Different rink size is suppose to be a big transitional factor but from what iv read the SHL is comparable talent to the AHL

Does anyone have any knowledge on how good the league Ullmark is playing in is? Comparable to AHL? Any notable alumni?

The Swedish Elite League is a good league. Payroll wise it's fourth behind the NHL, KHL and Czech Extraliga. I'd say it's better than the AHL, but more because of there being a lot more veteran players than the A which is more of a development league.

The SEL is where Jonas Gustavsson made his name a few years back. He put up numbers like Ullmark is now. Which bodes well for us so long as we don't throw him into the NHL fray too early like Toronto did.

Notable Alumni: Peter Forsberg and Hakan Loob.

Different rink size is suppose to be a big transitional factor but from what iv read the SHL is comparable talent to the AHL

You would think the larger rink size would make it easier for forwards (like Armia) and tougher for goalies and defense (Risto and Ullmark). So hopefully the latter come here better prepared. But it's obviously not an exact science.

i would think a smaller rink would be easier for a goalie. any goalies out there think so?

You would think the larger rink size would make it easier for forwards (like Armia) and tougher for goalies and defense (Risto and Ullmark). So hopefully the latter come here better prepared. But it's obviously not an exact science.

beat me to it

But is Ullmark playing in the SEL? When I check his stats it looks like he's playing in something called the "SHL." Did the league change its name? Or maybe it's just a translation issue?

Swedish Elite League is now the Swedish Hockey League from what I understand.

But is Ullmark playing in the SEL? When I check his stats it looks like he's playing in something called the "SHL." Did the league change its name? Or maybe it's just a translation issue?

Name change. SEL until this year; SHL now.

For goalies I don't think the larger size is easier or harder. It is just different. Angles are different. How and where you put rebounds are different.