2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Got it. I didn't know that there was a deadline today for that (and why?).

I think I figured out the reasoning, but I could be wrong. It is too prevent teams from "flooding" the ahl with non-olympic waiver-exempt players that normally wouldn't get sent down to the AHL ever. So they made up this date (january 24th) and the time until that Jan.24 date and the olympic break start is roughly the same length as the actual Olympic break. So if you want to send down one of you nhl players (they qualify someone as an nhl player as someone who plays 75% of the games before jan.24), you have to do so before January 24th and can't bring them back up again (or they get an Olympic break with no ahl).

Now I realize what i typed made no sense (it makes sense in my head). But let's take Nathan Mackinnon of the Avalanche. The avalanche can either leave him in the nhl, and then he gets a two week break during the Olympics OR send him down now and he misses two weeks of NHL time due to this Jan.24 date. Since the Avalanche actually want to use nathan mackinnon, they are going to keep him on the roster past this deadline meaning he has earned an olympic break from hockey. If they didn't have this rule 2 weeks out, the avalanche could use mackinnon, and then send him down right before the break, and then mackinnon could play in the AHL. The NHL doesn't want this as they view mackinnon as NHL player, and therefore he gets an Olympic break along with the rest of the nhl players

Does that make sense to anyone else but me?!?! I can't express this for whatever reason haha

Edited by Numark

I think I figured out the reasoning, but I could be wrong. It is too prevent teams from "flooding" the ahl with non-olympic waiver-exempt players that normally wouldn't get sent down to the AHL ever. So they made up this date (january 24th) and the time until that Jan.24 date and the olympic break start is roughly the same length as the actual Olympic break. So if you want to send down one of you nhl players (they qualify someone as an nhl player as someone who plays 75% of the games before jan.24), you have to do so before January 24th and can't bring them back up again (or they get an Olympic break with no ahl).

Now I realize what i typed made no sense (it makes sense in my head). But let's take Nathan Mackinnon of the Avalanche. The avalanche can either leave him in the nhl, and then he gets a two week break during the Olympics OR send him down now and he misses two weeks of NHL time due to this Jan.24 date. Since the Avalanche actually want to use nathan mackinnon, they are going to keep him on the roster past this deadline meaning he has earned an olympic break from hockey. If they didn't have this rule 2 weeks out, the avalanche could use mackinnon, and then send him down right before the break, and then mackinnon could play in the AHL. The NHL doesn't want this as they view mackinnon as NHL player, and therefore he gets an Olympic break along with the rest of the nhl players

Does that make sense to anyone else but me?!?! I can't express this for whatever reason haha

Yes. this makes sense and is what I was thinking, as well.

Yep. Thanks.

@SabresProspects

Jake McCabe takes puck low and scores on his second shift to give Wisconsin a 1-0 lead on Oho State. McCabe's sixth goal of the year.

@SabresProspects

BTN's Ben Clymer on Badgers D Jake McCabe: "It's a matter of when McCabe wears a Sabres uniform, not if." Agreed. #Sabres

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@SabresProspects

Jake McCabe takes puck low and scores on his second shift to give Wisconsin a 1-0 lead on Oho State. McCabe's sixth goal of the year.

@SabresProspects

BTN's Ben Clymer on Badgers D Jake McCabe: "It's a matter of when McCabe wears a Sabres uniform, not if." Agreed. #Sabres

I think we're all assuming he's going to wear the uniform. The hope is that he excels in it.

Compher looks like a wise investment, regardless of the loss of Andrej Sekera. He reminds me of a gritty Bo Horvat type. Keep it up!

I'm pretty much over the Sekera trade. Our D is going to be great without him and now we actually have scoring talent in the pipe.

I'm pretty much over the Sekera trade. Our D is going to be great without him and now we actually have scoring talent in the pipe.

I completely agree. While he'd be an upgrade over Weber, that's not saying much. I am completely confident in the group of: Ristolainen, Zadorov, McCabe, Pysyk, and McNabb. :) Even if they add another horse like Ekblad, this defense has all the pieces to be elite level home grown. To include Ehrhoff and Myers.

@BuffaloSabres

Guess who's now on Twitter? Rasmus Ristolainen. Let's give him a big welcome! @rasmrist55. #Sabres #RR55 #Blueprint #BellLetsTalk

Are they kidding?

HEY! We've got a prospect ON TWITTER over here! Better get the extinguisher out, 'cause it's gonna get HOT!

I mean, I get your point in posting it. The Sabs' official account, well, I don't get that so much.

Edited by Eleven

Are they kidding?

HEY! We've got a prospect ON TWITTER over here! Better get the extinguisher out, 'cause it's gonna get HOT!

I mean, I get your point in posting it. The Sabs' official account, well, I don't get that so much.

Can't talk about a big playoff push, so diversions are important. :lol:

Are they kidding?

Reasons they would do this:

1. Verify that it's him so they don't get 100 questions about it and any fakes are now proven to be that.

2. Promote fan-to-player communication which is always good as long as said player isn't an idiot.

3. Help him gather a fan base and hype as he gets ready to enter the league.

Reasons they would do this:

1. Verify that it's him so they don't get 100 questions about it and any fakes are now proven to be that.

2. Promote fan-to-player communication which is always good as long as said player isn't an idiot.

3. Help him gather a fan base and hype as he gets ready to enter the league.

no ######

30 goals by the end of January is pretty damn good for any 18-year-old in the OHL.

When you add that to the skating and compete level that made him a solid third-line projection, it looks like we may have picked up a third-round steal here.

Man, Fucale getting rocked tonight... yes I couldn't resist.

sarcasm? :huh:

No I really think grigorenko needs to be play in the AHL, not the Q or the NHL. I think he consistently produces at such a high level in the Q, that he needs to take the next step (AHL) to develop the game.

EDIT: I was talking about grigorenko, thought I was in the grigorenko thread...

Edited by Numark