Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

Sorry y'all, IMO, as I've suspected for years given the gap between novels, GRRM has no clue where to take this story and is allowing the HBO team to do whatever they want so he can keep cashing checks.

It's obvious that we are now going off the reservation as far as the story goes and HBO is really cutting corners to get to their ending.

Incredibly disappointing first three weeks for me.

T.

The scenes with Varys and Tyrion this week were weak.  It really ruins the mythos of Varys to have him just sitting around losing track of Tyrion.  This is supposed to be one of the most dangerous string pullers in Westeros who used to be a thief prince, and he can't even keep track of one stubby legged drunk dwarf?

The scene where Jon snicked Janos was cool, but lacked the feeling the book had.  In the book, Janos was a joke, but he had power.  That was where the hatred came from.  In the show he was always a joke a la Mace Tyrell.  It just didn't have the same impact.

"Edd, fetch me a block." > "Olly, get me my sword."

My favorite scene was Littlefinger and the Roose chatting.

The nod was great

kT1m8tM.gif

The scenes with Varys and Tyrion this week were weak.  It really ruins the mythos of Varys to have him just sitting around losing track of Tyrion.  This is supposed to be one of the most dangerous string pullers in Westeros who used to be a thief prince, and he can't even keep track of one stubby legged drunk dwarf?

The scene where Jon snicked Janos was cool, but lacked the feeling the book had.  In the book, Janos was a joke, but he had power.  That was where the hatred came from.  In the show he was always a joke a la Mace Tyrell.  It just didn't have the same impact.

"Edd, fetch me a block." > "Olly, get me my sword."

My favorite scene was Littlefinger and the Roose chatting.

The nod was great

kT1m8tM.gif

At this point it's better to think of the show as an alternate dimension version of the books.

They already changed Varys quite a bit by deleting his master plan that was revealed in the epilogue to A Dance With Dragons.  The TV version of Varys apparently just put all his chips on a teenage girl at the other side of the world and has been hoping she'll cross the sea to take over.  I'm not sure what to make of that.

I did also enjoy the Roose Bolton and Littlefinger scene -- a complete departure from the books.  It'll be interesting to see if they can come up with a satisfying conclusion to this storyline.  Bolton and Littlefinger are kept completely apart in the books and each has their own plan for solidifying power in the north.  Hopefully the show runners can mesh everything together for TV and have it make sense.

At this point it's better to think of the show as an alternate dimension version of the books.

They already changed Varys quite a bit by deleting his master plan that was revealed in the epilogue to A Dance With Dragons.  The TV version of Varys apparently just put all his chips on a teenage girl at the other side of the world and has been hoping she'll cross the sea to take over.  I'm not sure what to make of that.

I did also enjoy the Roose Bolton and Littlefinger scene -- a complete departure from the books.  It'll be interesting to see if they can come up with a satisfying conclusion to this storyline.  Bolton and Littlefinger are kept completely apart in the books and each has their own plan for solidifying power in the north.  Hopefully the show runners can mesh everything together for TV and have it make sense.

Yup. And I'm totally okay with that. Heck, I may even prefer it this way.

Definitely, but in some scenes they're still almost straight up copying the books.  Tyrion's murder of his lover and father for instance, had no reason to happen in the show.  Without the Tysha reveal, there's no emotional backing or real reason for Tyrion to climb the tower.  So I'm still going to pick apart the differences this season whilst they still exist.

The show is at its best when non POV characters have big scenes. 

Tywin/Arya

Tywin/Pycelle

Tywin/Oberyn

Oberyn/Varys

Varys/Littlefinger

Littlefinger/Roose

Sandor/Bronn

All awesome.

I really liked Arya's introduction to the house of black and white.  When she waits outside praying in the rain, and then the Jaqen reveal.

Everything that happens in the house of black and white since then has been very boring.  Several long quiet scenes with ordinary cinematography as Arya wanders around this weird place.  Yawn.

Jaqen had a very Syrio-esque line in this episode when he referred to the god of death.  I wonder if they're the same person in the show (NFW in the books).

Edited by qwksndmonster

They really slowed everything down this season, which is fine with me but I was hoping to see more of Dorne and a certain Targaryen that I am not sure we are going to see at all. 

Yeah i never read the books, but a mate who has, said the first 4 episodes that got leaked were a bit slow and boring.

Edited by Heimdall

Definitely, but in some scenes they're still almost straight up copying the books.  Tyrion's murder of his lover and father for instance, had no reason to happen in the show.  Without the Tysha reveal, there's no emotional backing or real reason for Tyrion to climb the tower.  So I'm still going to pick apart the differences this season whilst they still exist.

I think there has been more than enough on the show to establish how much Tyrion hated his father. I do think having a Tysha reveal would have added emotional punch...but to his farewell to Jaime, not to him killing his father.

Can Santa catch a break ever? She goes from terrible to worse every season. I gotta think "reek" somehow saves our woe begotten princess from that Dexter wanna be Ramsay.

Interesting. I find her to be about the least sympathetic character on the show.

I think there has been more than enough on the show to establish how much Tyrion hated his father. I do think having a Tysha reveal would have added emotional punch...but to his farewell to Jaime, not to him killing his father.

Interesting. I find her to be about the least sympathetic character on the show.

I can't stand her but she keeps ending up with the worst humans ever. Gotta feel a little bit for her.

I can't stand her but she keeps ending up with the worst humans ever. Gotta feel a little bit for her.

Sure, "a bit," but that's as far as I'll go! Between her blind, stupid love for Joffrey and the role she played in Ned's death, the majority of me feels she deserves a lot of misfortune. 

Edit: The more I think about it, I don't think anybody deserves to have to marry Ramsay.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Can Santa catch a break ever? She goes from terrible to worse every season. I gotta think "reek" somehow saves our woe begotten princess from that Dexter wanna be Ramsay.

I think they are just delaying the Sansa sex scene for another year.  :p

10 episodes.  Typically Episode 9 is the fireworks grand finale.  Episode 10 is typically wrapping it all up. 

thought episode 8 was always the big bang :p

Just got around to watching it for this week.

Too many story lines, too much jumping from week to week, zero flow.

Show is going down hill.

Cross my fingers they haven't ruined it.

The one story line that holds any promise is the Queen and Queen Mother.  But even that is developing at a snail's pace.

Just got around to watching it for this week.

Too many story lines, too much jumping from week to week, zero flow.

Show is going down hill.

Cross my fingers they haven't ruined it.

The one story line that holds any promise is the Queen and Queen Mother.  But even that is developing at a snail's pace.

That's a lot like the books they're trying to cover now.  Hopefully once they start making everything up the show will have better pace.

That said, I don't hate the way they've done the first three epiosdes, but 1 and 3 were pretty setup-heavy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.