Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

If you don't want to ruin the books, don't watch the end of this season. The cliff hanger they have at the end of ADWD is ruined in the show and resolved

I don't think avoiding the show is worth it the trouble.  Just take them as two different stories and accept that there'll be some central story elements for TWoW  spoiled.  Reading the first three books after I watched the show didn't make them any less nuanced and amazing,  I understand why it bothers people, though.

As for the bolded, I don't see how else they could've gone about it. /tinfoil on

These are big spoilers.

Shireen has a lot more screen time in the show than she ever did in the books, which suggests a certain significance to the character. Season 4 had that strange Selyse/Melly Dre scene where Melly tells Selyse to bring Shireen to the wall.  Melly knows that Jon is more important than she thought at first, perhaps he's even Azor Ahai reborn.  Fast forward to after the Ides of Marsh, Stannis is away, and Melly is still at the wall.  I could see Melly burning Shireen to bring Jon back to life.  This would be her waking a dragon (Jon) from stone (Shireen's greyscale).

IF that were to occur, the Mannis eventually comes back to the wall, seething in gritted teeth, and stabs Melly Dre up in her chest bits with Lightbringer.  That's when it takes fire for the first time, and the heat matches the light.

Or, Rhaegar was the Prince that was Promised and Jon himself is Lightbringer.

Or, (my favorite) nobody is Azor Ahai/tPtwP.  Melly will still bring Jon back from the dead either way.

This makes me hate GRRM's slowness. Not that I currently have time to blaze through a 1400 page book, but still.

Seriously though. I've gone on to other series while waiting for him to write WOW and I've forgotten a ton of the little things in ASOIAF.

QWK, apparently the trailer showed something pretty significant and reddit went crazy with it until they figured something pretty plausible out; it's in the spoiler tag if you wanna know

At the end of book 5, when Jon Snow is stabbed 4 times at the wall, they apparently do a little differently in the books. The trailer shows Snow at (I forgot the name of the Wildling town, it's on some peninsula beyond the wall) fighting the Others and WhiteWalkers while trying to get the refugees on the boats. Rumor is his men get fed up with Jon as they're dying, so they stab him, and Jon gets taken away by the Others. Couple this with the whole King of the Wall guy marrying the others and the Stark history, the theory is Jon doesn't die, but become a King of the Wall.

That was pretty poorly worded, so if you want I can link the actually theories from reddit that explain it much better.

Edited by WildCard

• 2 weeks later...

So GoT season 4 is out on DVD for those interested.  Also I realize that starting this season on GoT we will all stop knowing what is coming next... they are already beyond the books for certain characters and by the end of the season should be close to the end of the books for other characters... It is actually really exciting. 

So GoT season 4 is out on DVD for those interested.  Also I realize that starting this season on GoT we will all stop knowing what is coming next... they are already beyond the books for certain characters and by the end of the season should be close to the end of the books for other characters... It is actually really exciting. 

I know it will be like Season 1 for me all over again. I had way more fun when I didn't know what was going to happen in the storyline. Only a month away for new GOT season!

• 4 weeks later...

got.png

NY brewery Ommegang is going to make a GOT beer, called three-eyed-raven.

Didn't know Duvel - moortgat the 3rd largest belgian brewery owned ommegang, explains why you guys like it :P

Its going to be brewed with belgian yeast to.  Should be a good dark fruity beer :D

Edited by Heimdall

If you don't want to ruin the books, don't watch the end of this season. The cliff hanger they have at the end of ADWD is ruined in the show and resolved

There's basically no way to wait for the remaining books to see what happens.  GRRM has said Book 6 isn't coming out this year, and he takes longer with each book.  (ADWD came out in 2011.)  The TV show is going to blow by the books starting this year and I doubt anyone will be able to avoid spoilers for the next 10 years waiting for the last two books.  And let's face it, he probably needs 3 books to wrap this thing up from where it is at the end of ADWD.

This makes me hate GRRM's slowness. Not that I currently have time to blaze through a 1400 page book, but still.

It's not even slowness at this point.  He says he can only write from his home, but then says he's not home a lot because he gets invitations to appear all over the world now that the show is such a phenomenon.  I want the guy to be able to enjoy his success but the completion of his life's work is now taking a back seat to free vacations.  You'd think he'd want to bear down and finish the story.

There's basically no way to wait for the remaining books to see what happens.  GRRM has said Book 6 isn't coming out this year, and he takes longer with each book.  (ADWD came out in 2011.)  The TV show is going to blow by the books starting this year and I doubt anyone will be able to avoid spoilers for the next 10 years waiting for the last two books.  And let's face it, he probably needs 3 books to wrap this thing up from where it is at the end of ADWD.

It's not even slowness at this point.  He says he can only write from his home, but then says he's not home a lot because he gets invitations to appear all over the world now that the show is such a phenomenon.  I want the guy to be able to enjoy his success but the completion of his life's work is now taking a back seat to free vacations.  You'd think he'd want to bear down and finish the story.

I'm pretty sure he has already told the producers how the story should end incase something happens to him.

I'm pretty sure he has already told the producers how the story should end incase something happens to him.

He has.  But it's still disappointing that the TV show will be what wraps up the story in the next 3-4 years.

The TV show can be great but it also does inexplicable things sometimes as well (Jaime and Cersei's "reunion" scene for example).  The scope of the show is also limited by its budget so it is forced to cut out characters and subplots.  (Sounds like the entire Ironborn plot from Books 4 and 5 is getting axed, pun intended, from the show.)  Not to mention all the flashbacks/memories you get from the book since each chapter is written from a single character's perspective.

If GRRM gets hit by a bus today, his greatest work will always be incomplete even if the TV show takes the story to the end.  More than that, though, if you're working on something you're really psyched about, you'd think you'd be in a hurry to finish it so that people (i.e. your fans) could experience it.  I wonder if the weight of the expectations for each book is taking the joy out of this work, or if he's just struggling with bringing all his plotlines to a satisfying conclusion.

If nothing else, maybe the TV show finishing first will ease the pressure and he can just finish these things in the next few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Monk is having a release party for the newest GoT beer tonight. Don't know what all it entails, but apparently they're one of only 15 or so bars in the country who got selected to do it.

One of 13 venues... There will be people in custumes, sword swallowers, etc.

How so?  The shows 3 and 4th seasons were book three basically.......That leaves books 4 and 5 virtually untouched.

How so? The shows 3 and 4th seasons were book three basically.......That leaves books 4 and 5 virtually untouched.

On a season 5 preview one of the directors said how excited he is that they can now get more creative because they're past the books in many storylines.

they have already caught up to the books and surpassed them in spots

They haven't introduced any of the new characters in books 4 and 5.......Any story lines that would add on would involve characters that don't do much in books 4 and 5.........I have read the books and there is much to cover that haven't been touched.

Book 3 was the best in the series and because so much crazy happened book 4 and 5 are almost a rebuilding.  The TV show might be best if the took both books as one and work from there......Many characters don't have much to do in books 4 and 5.

Edited by DR HOLLIDAY

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.