Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

It's more important to understand that Robert's Rebellion was in response to Aerys II Targaryen's Mad rule.  Rhaegar's kidnapping of Lyanna is often spoke of by Robert himself because he still obsesses over the woman he romanticized ("All Seven Kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left.")

Why is background information in spoiler tags?

Right Lyanna get's taken and Brandon Stark goes to king's landing and demands her return and gets murdered.  Then all hell breaks lose. 

Okay... someone correct his if I am wrong.

17 years before book 1 starts The Targaryens were the royalty of the realm. Cersei Lannister wanted to marry Prince Rhaegar Targaryen but her father Tywin was turned down by King Aerys Targaryen.  Robert Baratheon was just a Noble and he was suppose to marry Lyanna Stark, Ned's sister.  Rhaegar Targaryen took Lyanna Stark (he may or may not have kidnapped her).  Enraged by this and the killing of some other people (Ned's father, a few other nobles) Robert Baratheon went to war to get her back getting all the North and Ned Stark to assist him.  Rhaegar was killed, Lyanna was died (cause unkwown), King Aerys Targaryen was killed by Jamie Lannister. Now Tywin Lannister had not picked a side until the very end. As such he agrees to wed his daughter to Robert Baratheon to show his loyalty. Since the Lannisters were the most wealthy house, Robert agrees and Cersei becomes queen.  The catch being that Daenerys Targaryen is alive and as such the rightful Queen/Ruler of Westeros.  I am sure I missed something in there but that is the shortened version.  

Sounds right

I updated it a little bit. had to go read a couple wiki's.  It has been a long time since I have heard the story of the rebellion and the Wiki's kindly put everything in chronological order. 

That's pretty much got it. Its Lyanna, not Lysanna, but the rest is on point.

Just to add on to the above, here's how the royalty/nobility work in Westeros.

So besides Cersei (who married the king) the Lannisters by nature are not "Royalty" which implies king/queen, but they are nobility. In fact, they are one of the Great Houses of Westeros. That's a fairly nebulous title, but suffice it to say that they are one of the main rulers of a large area of the continent/country. There are seven 'kingdoms' in Westeros, each of which has a Great House that rules over it. The North (Starks), the Iron Islands (Greyjoys), the Vale (Arryns), the Riverlands (Tullys), The Reach (Tyrells), Dorne (Martells), The Stormlands (Baratheon, yes the same family who currently sit on the Iron Throne), and the Westerlands (Lannister). Think of the kingdoms as being states, and the Great Houses being the Govenors. There is also an area around King's Landing called the Crownlands that is ruled directly by the King/Queen.

Each of these Great Houses have smaller/lesser houses of varying strength and size under them. The easiest to think of from the show where you are would be the Bolton's being a house under Stark (these are also called bannermen). A large house like Bolton, even though they are not a Great House, will have even smaller houses. These houses rule their own land, but if a ruling house has need of it he will "call his banners" and these smaller houses will combine their strength with his and do as the greater house asks. So in this way you would have The King/Queen (Robert Baratheon) who rules all of Westeros or the Seven Kingdoms (for us this would be the President who rules the country), then a Great House (Stark, led by Ned) who rules a kingdom (state), then a lesser house like Bolton (sort of like ruling a county), and then even lesser houses than that (who would rule over an even smaller area, like their direct town and the surrounding farmlands).

As a side note, the Great Houses are seperate from the Wardens. There are 7 Great Houses, but only 4 Wardens; the Warden of the North, South, East, and West. These are not very well defined, but they have a more military connotation as opposed to a governmental one.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I've spent way to much time on the books/show, haha.

Wow, thanks! That's more than I needed, that helps tremendously. I never read the books so I wasn't familiar with the past. I didn't want to do a search in fear of spoiling it, already made that mistake once and found out the fate of one of the characters. 

Like the direction they are going with Sansa. Not sure if it's because of the story line or the fact that she just turned 19 but they have been turning up the sex appeal on our woe begotten princess.

It looks like she's got a couple of big secrets.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/a22ab9071e61aeaae93d39bcde5e6500/tumblr_n7eunyK0XA1qjzda3o1_500.png

Edited by inkman

I thought that was a great episode. By far the best of the season...although I do miss the Varys-Tyrion box chats.

Much better...  The Queen-Queen Regent storyline has potential..

Well $#!t.  That escalated quickly.  I am really glad though we covered the Lyanna stuff in here last week because lo and behold it was relevant to the plot.

I am not sure what their plan is.  I thought Tyrion would still be... somewhere else currently but that storyline is way accelerated.  Also Sansa has the opportunity to go from boring to badass this season.  I hope she gets Ramsy eating out of her hand... The North remembers.

Also Grey Worm's fight was awesome but they dropped the ball a bit with Barristan.  That said, WHAT AN ENDING.  First time this show has surprised me and well I would not want to piss off the Khaleesi, that woman will literally have things eat you.  

Last week was marginally better than the first couple, but last night was the first good episode of the season.

Can't believe how far away they've gone from the book.

At this point I don't really even know what is going to happen, since the show is basically just using the characters to do their own thing at this point. It's kind of exciting not knowing what is going to happen now.

Last night was certainly the best episode of the season, and it looks like things will continue to get interesting now that the Sons of the Harpy have pissed off Daenerys and the sand snakes are finally a part of the episodes.

Last week was marginally better than the first couple, but last night was the first good episode of the season.

Can't believe how far away they've gone from the book.

Last night was the first episode I've seen in a few seasons; I only caught the back half of it but I was so lost about what was happening because they deviated that much.

I hated the Sons of the Harpy fight.  And I hated the way they shot the Dorne fight, even though it was cool.

Let me break down everything I hate about the SotH fight:

(spoilers for last night's episode)

-Grey Worm is the only Unsullied who fights like a badass.  They should all fight like that.

-The unsullied immediately broke their formation.  These are supposed to be the most disciplined and impressive field soldiers in the world.

-The unsullied continue to use their spears in a tiny hallway.  Why aren't they drawing their short swords?

-The SotH looked like a bunch of idiots.  Why weren't they wearing armor?  Why was their plan to have a 20v5 fight with the unsullied?  What did that accomplish?  Did they know Grey Worm was going to be there?  How?  It feels like Zapp Brannigan is the Harpy.

-At least show Barristan looked badass for the first time ever.  It really is a shame that the only time the greatest living knight got to actually fight was when he was dying.

Why do they show three different cuts per second during fight scenes?  Are they worried that the fights might actually have some sort of rhythm otherwise, or that the viewer might actually know what's going on?  If you want to see what I'm talking about, watch this fight from Season 4 Episode 10 (starts around 4:30 in the video).

All the King Tommen stuff broke my heart.  That young sweet lad doesn't deserve to suffer for his parents' sins.

Edited by qwksndmonster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.