Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

"At least show Barristan looked badass for the first time ever." I definitely think he looked badass.

I can't read. I thought you said "looking" as in they should have made him look badass if that was the only real time we were going to see him fight. I forgive you for me misreading what you wrote.

LOL. Perhaps I should have been more phonetically correct and said John Snow ain't COOM-in' anytime soon. 

lol I knew what you meant.

Well that certainly puts us more in line with book and show.  The one person no one seems to be afraid of is the one person everyone should be.  He's more clever than most people by half.  

Like the direction they are going with Sansa. Not sure if it's because of the story line or the fact that she just turned 19 but they have been turning up the sex appeal on our woe begotten princess.

It looks like she's got a couple of big secrets.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/a22ab9071e61aeaae93d39bcde5e6500/tumblr_n7eunyK0XA1qjzda3o1_500.png

I see you are not the only one who has noted this.

I'm right with you bud.

"At least show Barristan looked badass for the first time ever." I definitely think he looked badass.

Hey Qwksndmonster!

Based on your spoiler comments about the fight scenes it sounds like you are interested in military history.  Yes?

Edited by Kruppstahl

I would argue that the Unsullied are a hoplite army and as such they would never break rank as their strength is based on an interlocking shield wall.  

Daenerys needs to find cavalry, aka Dothraki, to support her flanks and give her a rapid response unit to counter any enemy cavalry. 

I would argue that the Unsullied are a hoplite army and as such they would never break rank as their strength is based on an interlocking shield wall.  

Daenerys needs to find cavalry, aka Dothraki, to support her flanks and give her a rapid response unit to counter any enemy cavalry. 

That really is the only thing she's missing in the show right now (other than control of her dragons).  In the books she doesn't have any ships in Meereen, but in the show Daario told her that he captured ~60 ships when they sacked the city.

That really is the only thing she's missing in the show right now (other than control of her dragons).  In the books she doesn't have any ships in Meereen, but in the show Daario told her that he captured ~60 ships when they sacked the city.

That is her other issue. By holding up in Meereen and having a limited Navy she is being foolish militarily. She can't resupply herself, she is in enemy territory, her closest allies are a world away, and without a navy or cavalier her ability to breakout is severally limited.

Yes.

Well you might understand my username more than most then.

Not to go off topic, but are you familiar with Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts?

I am listening to "Blueprint for Armageddon" Part III right now.  It's about WWI.

This guy's podcasts are remarkable.  I just learned of them a few days ago.

Well you might understand my username more than most then.

Not to go off topic, but are you familiar with Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts?

I am listening to "Blueprint for Armageddon" Part III right now.  It's about WWI.

This guy's podcasts are remarkable.  I just learned of them a few days ago.

I know Stahl means steel, but I don't actually have a working knowledge of any war that happened after about 1870.  I'm going to check out Hardcore History on my dishwashing shift tonight.  Thanks for the recommendation.

I know Stahl means steel, but I don't actually have a working knowledge of any war that happened after about 1870.  I'm going to check out Hardcore History on my dishwashing shift tonight.  Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome.  Check out his website, but only the current podcast is free.  You can pay a few bucks to listen to all the past ones.  

However, you can find a number of them available on youtube for free, where I am listening to "Blueprint for Armageddon" Part III now.

I believe the entire "Armageddon" series is on youtube.  Some of these are over 4 hours long each. It's great stuff, especially as I am not well versed in WWI.

WWII is my speciality along with all things ancient Roman.

The civil war and the Mongol conquest are my "specialties" if even that.  It's been a few years since I've taken a history course.

Well you are in luck.  One of the series done by Dan Carlin is on the Mongol conquest, said to be some of his best stuff.

That is on my "to listen to next" list.

:w00t:

What are the rules for the spoiler tags? Is there a time frame from when an episode is released to the time a tag doesn't need to be used? Are all spoilers tagged no matter how old? I'm only through episode 11 but don't want to break any rules.

What are the rules for the spoiler tags? Is there a time frame from when an episode is released to the time a tag doesn't need to be used? Are all spoilers tagged no matter how old? I'm only through episode 11 but don't want to break any rules.

As far as I know the only rules we had were for book readers not to spoil what was going to happen later on...but we're rapidly losing our ability to do that :(

With where you're at I can't imagine anyone bitching about anything you post. So have at it.

I would say use Spoiler tags if talking about specific events from the last episode.  Ones a week goes by if we spoil something it is the persons fault for not watching the episode or for checking this thread.  

For instance I don't read the Walking Dead thread because I am a season behind still.

As far as I know the only rules we had were for book readers not to spoil what was going to happen later on...but we're rapidly losing our ability to do that :(

With where you're at I can't imagine anyone bitching about anything you post. So have at it.

I would say use Spoiler tags if talking about specific events from the last episode.  Ones a week goes by if we spoil something it is the persons fault for not watching the episode or for checking this thread.  

For instance I don't read the Walking Dead thread because I am a season behind still.

I agree with both of these.

I was always wondering how the show would be able to handle the (very) tricky narrative once they got to Books 4 and 5 and so far the answer is: Not well.

The Dorne scenes have just been really bad.  The intro in the season premiere was over the top soap opera acting and they really botched the intro of the Sand Snakes.  In the books, they were beautiful, grown women (the ones we meet anyway, they mention younger ones) but the three TV show ones all looked like diminutive little kids.  They didn't come off especially smart or ferocious.  In the books, the Dorne stuff takes a while but eventually starts paying off once you realize [spoiler redaction].  They could have spent some time on that instead of "Jamie and Bronn kill 4 random dudes."

The Mereen stuff was only OK in Book 5, but they stripped away a ton of what made it interesting ([spoiler redaction]).  All we're left with is the Sons of the Harpy.

Littlefinger dropping Sansa off to the Boltons and then leaving is going to be tough to pull off too.   

Edited by Robviously

I was always wondering how the show would be able to handle the (very) tricky narrative once they got to Books 4 and 5 and so far the answer is: Not well.

The Dorne scenes have just been really bad.  The intro in the season premiere was over the top soap opera acting and they really botched the intro of the Sand Snakes.  In the books, they were beautiful, grown women (the ones we meet anyway, they mention younger ones) but the three TV show ones all looked like diminutive little kids.  They didn't come off especially smart or ferocious.  In the books, the Dorne stuff takes a while but eventually starts paying off once you realize there's a lot more to Prince Doran than everyone thinks.  They could have spent some time on that instead of "Jamie and Bronn kill 4 random dudes."

The Mereen stuff was only OK in Book 5, but they stripped away a ton of what made it interesting (the siege by the Yunkai, the Ironborn, Griff & Young Griff, Quentyn Martell, the plague).  All we're left with is the Sons of the Harpy.

Littlefinger dropping Sansa off to the Boltons and then leaving is going to be tough to pull off too.   

This has spoiler tag written all over it.

To me it seems obvious that if you've read ahead in the books and plan on discussing them it's best to just err on the side of caution and throw the spoiler tag over it. It doesn't matter if it seems like there may not be any specific details spoiled because there are certain insinuations that will lead others to draw conclusions from stuff like this.

This has spoiler tag written all over it.

To me it seems obvious that if you've read ahead in the books and plan on discussing them it's best to just err on the side of caution and throw the spoiler tag over it. It doesn't matter if it seems like there may not be any specific details spoiled because there are certain insinuations that will lead others to draw conclusions from stuff like this.

Went back and edited out just about everything.  It was insanely vague to begin with.

Episode 5 was by far the strongest of the season.  Davos/Shireen cuteness was awesome.

-Ramsay is great.  Iwan Rheon is doing a fantastic job this season.  I really like the direction that they've gone with show Ramsay.

-Stannis continues to be wayyyyyy better written than he was in seasons 2-4.

-Jon Snow's scenes have all been pretty great, but he is getting a fair amount of whitewashing.  Kit Harrington has grown so much as an actor since season 1.  He is the most Stark of any character in the show, and definitely leads the league in "winter is coming"s.

-Sansa was icy, the Roose was Loose, Walda was adorable, and Brienne needs to stay the away from the Mannis.

-Dany's plot line was meh.  Especially the part where Missandei showered her with praise for everything she does.  Dany needs Tyrion there so desperately so he can rip on her and tell her how bad she at being queen.

-Valyrian poetry slam was awesome.  Never thought we'd get the lyrics of the Dance of Dragons (the epic song, not the book) in the show.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.