Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

Don't worry Ink, this season will have a huge twist for you all

around episode 8 no doubt :P

How many episodes are there a season? 8? I would guess it happens within the next two episodes. If not they're just being ###### 

Gentlemen -- this is the kind of semi-spoiler that should go in the "spoiler" box. 

Not sarcastic.  There should be no spoilers in this thread.  When someone says "major twist coming up" -- I view that as more or less a spoiler.

I disagree. It is well known that typically Episode 9 is the crazy episode with something unforeseen happening.  It is not really spoiling anything.

Also at this point, outside of Daenerys, Tyrion, and the Sand Snakes... oh and Jon Snow, we can't spoil anything. HBO is almost to the end of the books.  From here on out it's anyone's guess. 

I disagree. It is well known that typically Episode 9 is the crazy episode with something unforeseen happening.  It is not really spoiling anything.

Also at this point, outside of Daenerys, Tyrion, and the Sand Snakes... oh and Jon Snow, we can't spoil anything. HBO is almost to the end of the books.  From here on out it's anyone's guess. 

Agree that the other comments aren't spoilers, but this should be under the spoiler tag. The mentioning of characters who have turns/twists coming is spoiler worthy.

Agree that the other comments aren't spoilers, but this should be under the spoiler tag. The mentioning of characters who have turns/twists coming is spoiler worthy.

I didn't say anyone of those Characters have twists or turns coming. I implied I know what happens in the show with them because their story lines are still behind where book 5 ends.  

I didn't say anyone of those Characters have twists or turns coming. I implied I know what happens in the show with them because their story lines are still behind where book 5 ends.  

The "oh... and Jon Snow" part was pretty obvious.

LGR -- I wasn't referring to your comment that crazy stuff tends to happen in the 2nd-last (or, if you want to be fancy about it, "penultimate") episode of the season. 

Also:  isn't this season tracking the 2nd-last book?  That means there's still a good way to go before it catches up to the books. 

For that matter, I don't see why they can't do what they did the past 2 seasons and stretch 1 book into 2 seasons (although I don't think that is the plan).

When I watch the show, the only characters I really care about are Bronn and Shireen. And King Tommen (what a sweetie).  No more beets!

LGR -- I wasn't referring to your comment that crazy stuff tends to happen in the 2nd-last (or, if you want to be fancy about it, "penultimate") episode of the season. 

Also:  isn't this season tracking the 2nd-last book?  That means there's still a good way to go before it catches up to the books. 

For that matter, I don't see why they can't do what they did the past 2 seasons and stretch 1 book into 2 seasons (although I don't think that is the plan).

By the end of season 4, some characters' book arcs were already finished.  Since books 4 and 5 take place at the same time, the show is doing them together.  Books 4 and 5 are also mostly slowly paced setup and new locations.  The show is probably cutting more than half of the content from books 4 and 5, so I expect by the end of this season, every single storyline will be beyond the books.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Re-reading your post I understand what you are saying.  

In the books, all of book 4 and 2/3 of book 5 take place at the same time.  They just follow different characters.  

I am going to put the next little bit in a spoiler box just to smooth things out.

What the show has done is accelerated some of the timelines of characters.  So for instance Brienne is currently off book where as John Snow is right in line with the book.  I hope I am not spoiling things as I don't want to do that.  Generally speaking this will be the last season where the books are ahead of the show and some characters like Brienne have already passed their book counterparts.  Of course they have also changed some of Brienne's storyline.

Edited by LGR4GM

Brienne, Sansa, and Yara (Asha) were all done with their book storylines by the end of season 4.

Plots from 4 and 5 that are being cut:

Everything Ironborn

fAegon and his poleboat of mystery

Brienne's excellent Riverlands adventure

Davos's Northron adventure

Barry the Bold's Meereenese detective work.

Jaime's plot, character, and personality are all totally different.

Brienne, Sansa, and Yara (Asha) were all done with their book storylines by the end of season 4.

Plots from 4 and 5 that are being cut:

Everything Ironborn

fAegon and his poleboat of mystery

Brienne's excellent Riverlands adventure

Davos's Northron adventure

Barry the Bold's Meereenese detective work.

Jaime's plot, character, and personality are all totally different.

lol I laughed at all of these especially the excellent Riverland's adventure :lol:

OK pardon my ignorance as I am only halfway through the first season. Simple question, the Lannisters appear to have royalty in their bloodline but the king comes from another bloodline. Even though he is king, the Lannisters seem to be the powerful/wealthy family. Are they royalty only because the sister is married to the king? If not, how did Baratheon become king?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Okay... someone correct his if I am wrong.

17 years before book 1 starts The Targaryens were the royalty of the realm. Cersei Lannister wanted to marry Prince Rhaegar Targaryen but her father Tywin was turned down by King Aerys Targaryen.  Robert Baratheon was just a Noble and he was suppose to marry Lyanna Stark, Ned's sister.  Rhaegar Targaryen took Lyanna Stark (he may or may not have kidnapped her).  Enraged by this and the killing of some other people (Ned's father, a few other nobles) Robert Baratheon went to war to get her back getting all the North and Ned Stark to assist him.  Rhaegar was killed, Lyanna was died (cause unkwown), King Aerys Targaryen was killed by Jamie Lannister. Now Tywin Lannister had not picked a side until the very end. As such he agrees to wed his daughter to Robert Baratheon to show his loyalty. Since the Lannisters were the most wealthy house, Robert agrees and Cersei becomes queen.  The catch being that Daenerys Targaryen is alive and as such the rightful Queen/Ruler of Westeros.  I am sure I missed something in there but that is the shortened version.  

Edited by LGR4GM

17 years before book 1 starts The Targaryens were the royalty of the realm. Cersei Lannister was supposed to Marry a Targaryen (I forget which one).  Robert Baratheon was just a Noble and he was suppose to marry Lysanna Stark, Ned's sister.  Rhaegar Targaryen took Lysanna Stark (he may or may not have kidnapped her).  Enraged by this Robert Baratheon went to war to get her back getting all the North and Ned Stark to assist him.  Rhaegar was killed, Lysanna was killed, King Aerys Targaryen was killed. Now Tywin Lannister had not picked a side until the very end. As such he agree to wed his daughter to Robert Baratheon to show his loyalty. Since the Lannisters were the most wealthy house, Robert agrees and Cersei becomes queen.  The catch being that Daenerys Targaryen is alive and as such the rightful Queen of Westeros.  I am sure I missed something in there but that is the shortened version.  

Sounds right

17 years before book 1 starts The Targaryens were the royalty of the realm. Cersei Lannister wanted to marry Prince Rhaegar Targaryen but her father Tywin was turned down by King Aerys Targaryen.  Robert Baratheon was just a Noble and he was suppose to marry Lysanna Stark, Ned's sister.  Rhaegar Targaryen took Lysanna Stark (he may or may not have kidnapped her).  Enraged by this and the killing of some other people (Ned's father, a few other nobles) Robert Baratheon went to war to get her back getting all the North and Ned Stark to assist him.  Rhaegar was killed, Lysanna was died (cause unkwown), King Aerys Targaryen was killed by Jamie Lannister. Now Tywin Lannister had not picked a side until the very end. As such he agrees to wed his daughter to Robert Baratheon to show his loyalty. Since the Lannisters were the most wealthy house, Robert agrees and Cersei becomes queen.  The catch being that Daenerys Targaryen is alive and as such the rightful Queen/Ruler of Westeros.  I am sure I missed something in there but that is the shortened version.  

That's pretty much got it. Its Lyanna, not Lysanna, but the rest is on point.

OK pardon my ignorance as I am only halfway through the first season. Simple question, the Lannisters appear to have royalty in their bloodline but the king comes from another bloodline. Even though he is king, the Lannisters seem to be the powerful/wealthy family. Are they royalty only because the sister is married to the king? If not, how did Baratheon become king?

Just to add on to the above, here's how the royalty/nobility work in Westeros.

So besides Cersei (who married the king) the Lannisters by nature are not "Royalty" which implies king/queen, but they are nobility. In fact, they are one of the Great Houses of Westeros. That's a fairly nebulous title, but suffice it to say that they are one of the main rulers of a large area of the continent/country. There are seven 'kingdoms' in Westeros, each of which has a Great House that rules over it. The North (Starks), the Iron Islands (Greyjoys), the Vale (Arryns), the Riverlands (Tullys), The Reach (Tyrells), Dorne (Martells), The Stormlands (Baratheon, yes the same family who currently sit on the Iron Throne), and the Westerlands (Lannister). Think of the kingdoms as being states, and the Great Houses being the Govenors. There is also an area around King's Landing called the Crownlands that is ruled directly by the King/Queen.

Each of these Great Houses have smaller/lesser houses of varying strength and size under them. The easiest to think of from the show where you are would be the Bolton's being a house under Stark (these are also called bannermen). A large house like Bolton, even though they are not a Great House, will have even smaller houses. These houses rule their own land, but if a ruling house has need of it he will "call his banners" and these smaller houses will combine their strength with his and do as the greater house asks. So in this way you would have The King/Queen (Robert Baratheon) who rules all of Westeros or the Seven Kingdoms (for us this would be the President who rules the country), then a Great House (Stark, led by Ned) who rules a kingdom (state), then a lesser house like Bolton (sort of like ruling a county), and then even lesser houses than that (who would rule over an even smaller area, like their direct town and the surrounding farmlands).

As a side note, the Great Houses are seperate from the Wardens. There are 7 Great Houses, but only 4 Wardens; the Warden of the North, South, East, and West. These are not very well defined, but they have a more military connotation as opposed to a governmental one.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I've spent way to much time on the books/show, haha.
Edited by sabills

It's more important to understand that Robert's Rebellion was in response to Aerys II Targaryen's Mad rule.  Rhaegar's kidnapping of Lyanna is often spoke of by Robert himself because he still obsesses over the woman he romanticized ("All Seven Kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left.")

Why is background information in spoiler tags?

It's more important to understand that Robert's Rebellion was in response to Aerys II Targaryen's Mad rule. Rhaegar's kidnapping of Lyanna is often spoke of by Robert himself because he still obsesses over the woman he romanticized ("All Seven Kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left.")

Why is background information in spoiler tags?

People are afraid Freeman is actually a Targaryen with a certain fondness for wildfire.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.