Pominville to Minnesota Wild UPDATE: offered extension.

spndnchz

And so automatically you assume it is a bad trade and not to expect much because his save percentage is around .900 and other cracks? Yeah, that's solid... NOT.

I assume it's a bad trade because proven value does not meet proven value. Trading one of the best two way Right wings to two prospects who have shown flashes but have really proven nothing at the NHL thus far is a bad trade. There needs to be something else to sweeten the pot if your main pieces MIGHT end up playing in the NHL. Optimism is fine, but selling a guy of Pomminstein's caliber with a year left on his deal for two prospects is not enough.

And so automatically you assume it is a bad trade and not to expect much because his save percentage is around .900 and other cracks? Yeah, that's solid... NOT.

...yes, if a player has bad stats, one generally assumes he won't be a very good player? That is generally how things work.

If he is struggling in the AHL, and so lost the starting job (which happened), that is hardly a vote of confidence in his ability

And yes this 100% means Vanek and Miller will be traded or lost. Both said they won't resign with Buffalo if Buffalo goes into rebuild mode. This is rebuild mode.

My first impression of the trade is that the clear short term winner is Minnesota. The longer term remains to be seen. I thought Pominville would fetch a 1st rounder, but the Sabres must like the potential of the two prospects better.

The other variable is the acquisition of the goalie. I thinks this strongly indicates that Ryan Miller will be shopped this summer.

1. There are probably picks coming in the official trade announcement, so I'd hold off on the final assessment :)

2. I am 100% with you there... Enroth, Leggio, Hackett, Makarov... it is obvious.

If this is it....two mid-level prospects for a perennial 60+ winger. Color me unimpressed. And I'm with everyone who has said this signals a 3+ year rebuild....with Regier at the helm, no less. I need more beer.

My first impression of the trade is that the clear short term winner is Minnesota. The longer term remains to be seen. I thought Pominville would fetch a 1st rounder, but the Sabres must like the potential of the two prospects better.

The other variable is the acquisition of the goalie. I thinks this strongly indicates that Ryan Miller will be shopped this summer.

Another key variable is the cost savings. By clearing the salaries of Leopold,Regehr, and Pominville the team has room to enter the free agent market this summer. I would expect the addition of two or more key free agents.

The Sabres could not win with the current roster. Pominville was never going to lead this team to success although he was a decent player. I think the new direction the team is taking is beneficial in the intermediate to long term. Time will tell.

I expect Miller to be dealt before his contract runs out and I expect the Sabres to re-sign Vanek.

If you think Vanek is re-signing now, you're out to lunch. No offense.

Another key variable is the cost savings. By clearing the salaries of Leopold,Regehr, and Pominville the team has room to enter the free agent market this summer. I would expect the addition of two or more key free agents.

The Sabres could not win with the current roster. Pominville was never going to lead this team to success although he was a decent player. I think the new direction the team is taking is beneficial in the intermediate to long term. Time will tell.

I expect Miller to be dealt before his contract runs out and I expect the Sabres to re-sign Vanek.

Good post.

I assume it's a bad trade because proven value does not meet proven value. Trading one of the best two way Right wings to two prospects who have shown flashes but have really proven nothing at the NHL thus far is a bad trade. There needs to be something else to sweeten the pot if your main pieces MIGHT end up playing in the NHL. Optimism is fine, but selling a guy of Pomminstein's caliber with a year left on his deal for two prospects is not enough.

The trade isn't official yet... picks are involved, picks that we don't know about yet. You can't assume ANYTHING about players you get, and I'm not being an optimist, just a realist... you're labeling the trade as bad automatically, which is wrong IMO.

i agree ...if thats all there is, meaning a hope and a prayer five years down the road, it was a silly, maybe it will save my ass, trade.

+1,000,000 and here is why:

Remember this 1 for 1 guy we got from the Blackhawks?

Season Age Tm Lg GP W L T/O GA SA SV SV% GAA SO MIN GPS G A PTS PIM

1991-92 27 CHI NHL 20 10 4 1 44 413 369 .893 2.60 1 1014 2.4 0 0 0 8

1992-93 28 BUF NHL 28 11 10 4 75 720 645 .896 3.15 0 1429 4.4 0 0 0

Yeah, he really sucked... 3.15 GAA with an .896 save percentage?? How many Vezinas did he win funny guys?? Hmm....

I would never compare this to the Ruutu trade, but am hoping it ends up a Mogilny type trade. It doesn't seem like enough for Pomms. Not overly impressed riight now.

The trade isn't official yet... picks are involved, picks that we don't know about yet. You can't assume ANYTHING about players you get, and I'm not being an optimist, just a realist... you're labeling the trade as bad automatically, which is wrong IMO.

I've only said it's bad if we get nothing in addition at current face value (only two prospects). A competent GM would not and should not make a deal like this on potential alone, there is a premium for a proven player to prospects. If we were talking dumba and Granlund i would be singing a different tune, but if there are no picks involved then Darcy did not ask for enough. Regardless of how this deal turns out, If darcy did not land some significant draft picks here, he did not get anywhere close to what he should have for a player of pommers ability.

Archived