Pominville to Minnesota Wild UPDATE: offered extension.

spndnchz

+1,000,000 and here is why:

Remember this 1 for 1 guy we got from the Blackhawks?

Season Age Tm Lg GP W L T/O GA SA SV SV% GAA SO MIN GPS G A PTS PIM

1991-92 27 CHI NHL 20 10 4 1 44 413 369 .893 2.60 1 1014 2.4 0 0 0 8

1992-93 28 BUF NHL 28 11 10 4 75 720 645 .896 3.15 0 1429 4.4 0 0 0

Yeah, he really sucked... 3.15 GAA with an .896 save percentage?? How many Vezinas did he win funny guys?? Hmm....

You're not seriously going to insinuate that Hackett is the next Hasek? I mean the names KIND OF sound the same but there is no way you can back up your stance with a trade that led us to possibly one of the greatest goaltenders of all time? Thats a once in a generation trade right there.

Because the cap will drop by $6 million over the summer. We're fine in that regard, but many teams (Tampa for example) absolutely have to shed salary over the summer to get under the lower cap. Having extra room puts us in a position to take advantage of that (i.e. we can pick up a high priced player or two who will have to be moved due to the cap).

It will only drop for one season We are $20 million under the lowered salary cap

Everyone is talking about Larsson but doesn't trading for Hackett indicate that we're probably moving on from Miller soon too?

I'd say both the removal of our captain and receiving a goalie prospect would indicate such, more so the former though. Given that Miller and Vanke don't want to stick around for a total rebuild, which looks to be exactly what we're doing right now, I'd have to think at least Miller will go, maybe both.

Beginning to think the rumors of draft picks were just that. So Pominville for Hackett and Larrson appears to be it.

Who will play the point on the vaunted PP now?

Yeah, I wonder if Darcy floated the draft picks being included idea to the media to buy himself time to buy a personal security detail within the next hour.

You're not seriously going to insinuate that Hackett is the next Hasek? I mean the names KIND OF sound the same but there is no way you can back up your stance with a trade that led us to possibly one of the greatest goaltenders of all time? Thats a once in a generation trade right there.

Not at the time it wasn't. I think that's the point.

GO SABRES!!!

I'd say both the removal of our captain and receiving a goalie prospect would indicate such, more so the former though. Given that Miller and Vanke don't want to stick around for a total rebuild, which looks to be exactly what we're doing right now, I'd have to think at least Miller will go, maybe both.

That and we have no prospects in the system

Which means the Sabres may very likley be processing other stuff.

I wonder what the league lets them get away with....can they call in and say they have a deal firm at 2:55 and then work on it til 4? Then if the wheels fall off and it doesn't hapeen no big deal?

My guess is the teams get a mulligan as long as they don't say they have 3 things going on.

My point is that you can't say a player is going to be great or suck until he actually PLAYS for the team on the ice after some games... I could have used Briere, Peca, and a lot more. Hasek worked because someone joked about the Vezina, like it never happens.

Yep. Writing's on the wall here.

Has anyone heard about the rumor of the picks included? Someone mentioned someone tweeting a 1st AND a 2nd, that'd sure make this trade a lot sweeter.

Total fog of war at this point. No idea what those picks are or if picks are being included at all.

I wonder what the league lets them get away with....can they call in and say they have a deal firm at 2:55 and then work on it til 4? Then if the wheels fall off and it doesn't hapeen no big deal?

My guess is the teams get a mulligan as long as they don't say they have 3 things going on.

I'd love to see exactly how the process works. Just how much paper work winds up going into this stuff and how much of it needs to be in at 3 PM?

GO SABRES!!!

My point being that if you're going to assume its a good trade because he could maybe possibly turn out to be the best goalie ever isn't really a stance made on solid ground.

Edit: I hope he turns out to be great obviously, but as it stands, and given what these two have accomplished so far, i don't believe Darcy got enough for pommer if this is the extent of the deal.

GO SABRES!!!

If the upside to this trade is the exceedingly slim chance that Hackett can come within a mile of Hasek's play, that is further fuel for hating, not liking this trade. It is like saying an NFL team receiving a 6th round pick for a good player is a decent deal because the Pats drafted Brady in the 6th round - the odds are very slim of getting that kind of return.

I heard on Sirius that they can call in at 2:55 but they have to have all the details. The league then schedules a conference call with the teams to confirm details. They said you can't call in at 2:59 and say Pominville for Hackett and Larsson plus some draft picks TBD.

My point being that if you're going to assume its a good trade because he could maybe possibly turn out to be the best goalie ever isn't really a stance made on solid ground.

And so automatically you assume it is a bad trade and not to expect much because his save percentage is around .900 and other cracks? Yeah, that's solid... NOT.

My first impression of the trade is that the clear short term winner is Minnesota. The longer term remains to be seen. I thought Pominville would fetch a 1st rounder, but the Sabres must like the potential of the two prospects better.

The other variable is the acquisition of the goalie. I thinks this strongly indicates that Ryan Miller will be shopped this summer.

Another key variable is the cost savings. By clearing the salaries of Leopold,Regehr, and Pominville the team has room to enter the free agent market this summer. I would expect the addition of two or more key free agents.

The Sabres could not win with the current roster. Pominville was never going to lead this team to success although he was a decent player. I think the new direction the team is taking is beneficial in the intermediate to long term. Time will tell.

I expect Miller to be dealt before his contract runs out and I expect the Sabres to re-sign Vanek.

Archived