Darcy Regier, do you trust him with the rebuild?

LGR4GM

DR and the Rebuild  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust Darcy Regier with the Sabres rebuild?

• Yes, he has proven that with his post pegula actions
    • Maybe, it will depend on this deadline and offseason
    • No, he has no clue what he is doing and needs to be fired yesterday

Stafford proved for three seasons that he was unreliable; some of us knew he wasn't going to score 31 goals in 62 games again. Why didn't the Sabres? Leino being the "best FA available" does not mean you break the bank for him. Everyone outside of Buffalo thought we were crazy to give him the money we did (again, to change positions) and a lot of the people in here thought we were crazy. Grigorenko definitely didn't look NHL-ready in his first five games, and the Sabres had no reason to give Myers the money he did as fast as they did. I think they just wanted to prove that they could spend money (similar to Leino) and it worked out horribly.

Our should be noted that stafford is not bring paid like a 30 goal scorer. He's being paid like a 20 goal scorer.

I still hate that he is on my team.

Darcy said some interesting things on WGR before the game last night. For one, when talking about what degree of rebuild/refresh/reset/rollback is going to happen, he said, "Ultimately, Terry Pegula is going to make that decision more than anyone else." Not to kick Secretariat when he's down, but as long as that's true, and Darcy is even willing to publicly acknowledge it, this franchise will go nowhere. Ultimately, how to win a Cup is your freakin' GM's call.

Then, Schopp asked Darcy about Minnesota. Darcy said Minnesota has built around their own players and has supplemented with free agents and trades.

"You try and do it the opposite way, with free agents coming from all these different organizations with their own views of how things need to be done and you don't have a foundation built, you're not going to get them linked together.... I don't think you can build any other way [than Minny is trying to do it]. We did try it a little bit different and I don't believe that worked, it's not going to work and we need to do it the right way." Almost an exact quote. I'm too tired to keep listening and perfecting it. Darcy was talking really fast.

To me, that's another acknowledgement that Terry was making personnel decisions and decisions about the direction of the franchise in the summer of 2011. No doubt in my mind. Darcy's not an idiot. He knew after the 2011 playoffs he didn't have the foundation of a contender that needed a few free agents to put it over the top.

If Darcy is going to stick around, the best scenario would be Terry realizing his mistake and finally letting Darcy have full control. But since Regier is already saying the decision about how to rebuild is going to rest with Terry, that seems unlikely.

I can't understand why Pegula is doing this. Would he rather be "in charge" than win a Cup? IMHO he can't have both.

Our should be noted that stafford is not bring paid like a 30 goal scorer. He's being paid like a 20 goal scorer.

I still hate that he is on my team.

I really don't care what he's being paid. I just wanted to unload him when his stock was at an all time high.

Darcy said some interesting things on WGR before the game last night. For one, when talking about what degree of rebuild/refresh/reset/rollback is going to happen, he said, "Ultimately, Terry Pegula is going to make that decision more than anyone else." Not to kick Secretariat when he's down, but as long as that's true, and Darcy is even willing to publicly acknowledge it, this franchise will go nowhere. Ultimately, how to win a Cup is your freakin' GM's call.

Then, Schopp asked Darcy about Minnesota. Darcy said Minnesota has built around their own players and has supplemented with free agents and trades.

"You try and do it the opposite way, with free agents coming from all these different organizations with their own views of how things need to be done and you don't have a foundation built, you're not going to get them linked together.... I don't think you can build any other way [than Minny is trying to do it]. We did try it a little bit different and I don't believe that worked, it's not going to work and we need to do it the right way." Almost an exact quote. I'm too tired to keep listening and perfecting it. Darcy was talking really fast.

To me, that's another acknowledgement that Terry was making personnel decisions and decisions about the direction of the franchise in the summer of 2011. No doubt in my mind. Darcy's not an idiot. He knew after the 2011 playoffs he didn't have the foundation of a contender that needed a few free agents to put it over the top.

If Darcy is going to stick around, the best scenario would be Terry realizing his mistake and finally letting Darcy have full control. But since Regier is already saying the decision about how to rebuild is going to rest with Terry, that seems unlikely.

I can't understand why Pegula is doing this. Would he rather be "in charge" than win a Cup? IMHO he can't have both.

Pegula has basically been a rich kid with a new toy. In some ways that's cool: the French Connection statue, the big alumni game last year, the new locker room, the new paint job inside the arena, the massive project across the street, etc. In other ways, he's just screwed up the team: throwing money at Leino, Myers, and Stafford just to prove he's going to spend money.

If he learned from that, he's still on track to be an amazing owner. If not, we're looking at a lot more stupid crap on the way.

With all due respect, this is speculation run wild. Darcy inherited "the hardest working team in hockey" (built by John Muckler) and the Sabres went to the Cup Finals with very few changes to the roster. Not his roster.

Since then, he has assembled teams not built for Cup runs...save for the Drury/Briere years, of which I give Darcy all due credit. Then the true core of this team left Buffalo...leaving the Sabres with only a hollow core that Darcy drafted. If we let him rebuild this team, it will soon be 20 YEARS before we MIGHT compete for a championship.

I don't know know if it was TPegs or DR or both but the thinking was 'hey these few parts and hell yeah Cup!' Nothing wrong with thinking that most would agree. That quick fix didn't work and its back to basics.

I'm not buying it. Darcy's saying it was a mistake today; he knew it was a mistake then. Darcy's been a yes man from day one. It's too bad. We will never know how good this guy could have been without the Knox remnants, Mike Rigas, Gary Bettman and Larry Quinn all up in his grill, and may never know how good he could be without Terry making S'Mores in his office.

God not another built in excuse to excuse the mistakes of Darcy Regier. Like water off a ducks back shite runs right off DR. Its always someones meddling or another persons fault or a lack of money or too much money or a corrupt ownership group or an absentee owner or...When will the excuses stop. Every good move Darcy makes is lauded yet every bumbling screw up is excused away as someone elses fault. Funny that.

Just for sihts and giggles:

Drury. Little League home run, big goals like Pommer as a third line player in the playoffs in Colorado, although his were in a final.. They gave up on him, traded him to Calgary, then to Buffalo. Scored big goals for a final four team before moving on for big money to the Rangers where his career ended after he was overpaid.

Those are some positives and negatives about a very hyped Buffalo player who road the coat tails of stars to a cup in Colorado.

Just trying to stir it up.

If we're going to stir it up, let's stir it up. Which captain missed the open net in the 1st in game 7? :angel:

Pegula has basically been a rich kid with a new toy. In some ways that's cool: the French Connection statue, the big alumni game last year, the new locker room, the new paint job inside the arena, the massive project across the street, etc. In other ways, he's just screwed up the team: throwing money at Leino, Myers, and Stafford just to prove he's going to spend money.

If he learned from that, he's still on track to be an amazing owner. If not, we're looking at a lot more stupid crap on the way.

(I haven't talked about it on the board, but my favourite football team is the 49ers.)

Anyways I watched a special on the NFL network, Eddie DeBartolo A football life. It detailed the many mistakes that he made when he first took over the 49ers including trading for a washed up OJ Simpson. Eddie learned from his mistakes and became one of the best owners ever. His players loved him and still do, lets hope the same thing happens with TP in Buffalo.

I'm not buying it. Darcy's saying it was a mistake today; he knew it was a mistake then. Darcy's been a yes man from day one. It's too bad. We will never know how good this guy could have been without the Knox remnants, Mike Rigas, Gary Bettman and Larry Quinn all up in his grill, and may never know how good he could be without Terry making S'Mores in his office.

The $40 hooker could be the best wife in the world too............

We all choose our paths for the most part......

Hmm many will burn me for my vote.

I voted 1.

Why because i liked again what he did at the deadline and i think he was able to get some really good deals.

Last year deadline and offseason i also liked. The Ott for Roy deal was huge too.

I am willing to let him handle another year. I think he learned of the Dury and Briere situation so he will handle the Miller Vanek situation hopefully very well.

I really don't care what he's being paid. I just wanted to unload him when his stock was at an all time high.

If he learned from that, he's still on track to be an amazing owner.

With all due respect, this is speculation run wild. Darcy inherited "the hardest working team in hockey" (built by John Muckler) and the Sabres went to the Cup Finals with very few changes to the roster. Not his roster.

Since then, he has assembled teams not built for Cup runs...save for the Drury/Briere years, of which I give Darcy all due credit. Then the true core of this team left Buffalo...leaving the Sabres with only a hollow core that Darcy drafted. If we let him rebuild this team, it will soon be 20 YEARS before we MIGHT compete for a championship.

What is that saying about insanity and doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Seriously? We are back to the "Darcy really isn't the GM" crap? Darcy Regier has been the General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres for almost 20 years. If he is letting others walk in to his office and dictate how he does his job he should show some pride and quit. I had thought this train of thought died when Larry Quinn left. I thought all the excuses had been removed. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Should we assume that it actually was Terry Pegula who negotiated the trade with the Wild for Pominville? Or, maybe it was Pegula's kids? Maybe they thought Cody Hodgson was cute, told Regier to get out of his chair and called the Canucks themselves and made the deal?

Either way, Regier is either a piss poor GM or a GM with absolutely no backbone. It doesn't matter which as long as he is gone soon.

God no another built in excuse to excuse the mistakes of Darcy Regier. Like water off a ducks back shite runs right off DR. Its always someones meddling or another persons fault or a lack of money or too much money or a corrupt ownership group or an absentee owner or...When will the excuses stop. Every good move Darcy makes is lauded yet every bumbling screw up is excused away as someone elses fault. Funny that.

A voice of reason in a sea of insanity.

This franchise is in desperate need of a strong hockey mind and personality to help this franchise gain focus and direction. If Darcy Regier is the GM of the Buffalo Sabres in 2013-2014 they will not make the playoffs, again. Looking at the current roster that Regier has put together I seriously doubt that even if the Sabres did find a competent hockey mind to take over the Sabres GM position this off-season there would be enough time to undo the damage Regier has done to get this team back into the playoffs next season.

Either way, Regier is either a piss poor GM or a GM with absolutely no backbone. It doesn't matter which as long as he is gone soon.

Does it really matter if Darcy grows some balls and quits? Terry's going to hire the next guy. What kind of guy do you think that's going to be? Another Darcy. I'm not in favor of Darcy returning, for the record. But as long as there's a problem at the top, does it matter who's in the GM's chair?

(I haven't talked about it on the board, but my favourite football team is the 49ers.)

Anyways I watched a special on the NFL network, Eddie DeBartolo A football life. It detailed the many mistakes that he made when he first took over the 49ers including trading for a washed up OJ Simpson. Eddie learned from his mistakes and became one of the best owners ever. His players loved him and still do, lets hope the same thing happens with TP in Buffalo.

Assuming that he made the trade for OJ, the key question is whether he stopped making trades.

Assuming that he made the trade for OJ, the key question is whether he stopped making trades.

It was actually his GM Joe Thomas who traded for OJ. Lesson Learned...Thomas fired. New regime with Bill Walsh and John McVay came in to usher in an era of greatness. Hello TPegs!

Does it really matter if Darcy grows some balls and quits? Terry's going to hire the next guy. What kind of guy do you think that's going to be? Another Darcy. I'm not in favor of Darcy returning, for the record. But as long as there's a problem at the top, does it matter who's in the GM's chair?

Terry Pegula needs to find his version of Bill Polian. This franchise is going nowhere as it is currently constituted.

The double-speak of Darcy's defenders (and Darcy) is maddening. On the one hand, he was handcuffed by meddling and/or inept owners who put the clamps on him financially. This apparently prevented him from acquiring the necessary talent (draft picks? free agents?) to win a Cup. On the other hand, when Pegula's wallet is wide open, the argument is that building via free agency is a flawed concept and we need to do it via our own draft/development system.

The truth is this: Darcy has never fielded a team with the right balance of grit and skill. He has always favored smaller, leaner "skaters and puck movers" vs. guys who are hard on the puck along the wall and those who have the size and muscle and fearlessness to win battles in the tough areas of the rink. The Sabres after the Drury-Briere debacle were comprised of the finesse types - Pomminstein, Connolly, Roy, Afinogenov, Numminen, Kalinin, and others - and not enough of the latter. Then the perfect storm hit: the Lucic bulldozing of Miller. The house of cards collapsed on that day, exposing Darcy's failed model BIG TIME.

Given the large body of work, anyone advocating for a long rebuild under Darcy must be a closet Bruins or Canadiens fan.

The double-speak of Darcy's defenders (and Darcy) is maddening. On the one hand, he was handcuffed by meddling and/or inept owners who put the clamps on him financially. This apparently prevented him from acquiring the necessary talent (draft picks? free agents?) to win a Cup. On the other hand, when Pegula's wallet is wide open, the argument is that building via free agency is a flawed concept and we need to do it via our own draft/development system.

The truth is this: Darcy has never fielded a team with the right balance of grit and skill. He has always favored smaller, leaner "skaters and puck movers" vs. guys who are hard on the puck along the wall and those who have the size and muscle and fearlessness to win battles in the tough areas of the rink. The Sabres after the Drury-Briere debacle were comprised of the finesse types - Pomminstein, Connolly, Roy, Afinogenov, Numminen, Kalinin, and others - and not enough of the latter. Then the perfect storm hit: the Lucic bulldozing of Miller. The house of cards collapsed on that day, exposing Darcy's failed model BIG TIME.

Given the large body of work, anyone advocating for a long rebuild under Darcy must be a closet Bruins or Canadiens fan.

Amen!

Who have been the best players and leaders for the Sabres under Regier?

Drury, Briere, Peca, Grier, Dumont, Hasek, Gilmour, Barnes, Ott......what do they all have in common?

Who have been talented players that played well and were drafted by Darcy?

Tallinder, Afinogenov, Campbell, Kalinin, Kotalik, Miller, Gaustad, Pominville, Roy, Ballard, Vanek, MacArthur, Stafford, Sekera, Ennis, Myers

What stands out with those guys?

Has Darcy EVER drafted a player that is a top 6 forward or top 2 D pairing who has both talent, and grit/leadership? I don't see it. Gaustad is the closest on that list and he was a #3 center who watched Lucic pick up the 10 pin spare in Boston. There are players on that team that MAY develop into that role....but nobody is there yet, and they haven't been for 16 years.

EVERY successful leader on the Buffalo Sabres had to be brought in from OUTSIDE the organisation.

Not only that....EVERY single one of our most talented leaders LEFT the Buffalo Sabres under some sort of distress, controversy, or hating the Sabres......minus Stu Barnes...and Barnes was probably the most passive of those listed.

How in the world is Ted Black and Terry not pouring over this same history in making their decisions about who should run this team? This has been a passive machine here for the most part.

God Bless us All!

I heard it and my first thought when he mentioned Pegula is that Darcy is getting fired at the end of the year (thus the mention of it being up to the owner).

I cannot fathom a scenario in which Pegula fires Lindy Ruff, misses the playoffs two years out of two as owner, and keeps Darcy around. It makes no sense.

It was actually his GM Joe Thomas who traded for OJ. Lesson Learned...Thomas fired. New regime with Bill Walsh and John McVay came in to usher in an era of greatness. Hello TPegs!

I know that Thomas made the trade (there was even a terrible little skit about it) but DeBartolo took responsibility for it and vowed never to let something like that happen again.

Archived