2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

I really don't think Catenacci is considered a great prospect anywhere outside this forum.

Also, that's a pretty small Top 9.

Not to mention if we get MacKinnon he's playing center. And while you could easily argue that's not a physical top-9, it's definitely not small. Ennis and Catenacci are the only small guys.

I really don't think Catenacci is considered a great prospect anywhere outside this forum.

Also, that's a pretty small Top 9.

I put him on the 3rd line. Kid is fast with a great set of hands. There is def potential there.

As for being small, the only players under 6ft would be Catnasty(5'10"), MacKinnon(5'11"), and Ennis(5'9")

I don't believe in this philosphy of everyone has to be 6ft+ and 200lbs+ but here we may just disagree about team building (which is fine ;) )

Not to mention if we get MacKinnon he's playing center. And while you could easily argue that's not a physical top-9, it's definitely not small. Ennis and Catenacci are the only small guys.

Well, of those nine, only Foligno and Kaleta are physical, but Kaleta will probably be hurt about half the time by then anyway.

As for size, Kaleta, MacKinnon, and Hodgson are all average sized at best. Grigorenko, Vanek, and Armia are all tall but not especially heavy. (Vanek is 207 according to Yahoo, compared to about 227 for Foligno.)

That's a very talented Top 9 if everyone hits their ceiling but I wouldn't feel great going into the playoffs built like that.

perhaps grigs moves to the wing. this set up is 2-3yrs away so it is difficult to tell but if all those players reached 75% of their potential (a HUGE IF ik) it would be a really good 9 guys.

Well, of those nine, only Foligno and Kaleta are physical, but Kaleta will probably be hurt about half the time by then anyway.

As for size, Kaleta, MacKinnon, and Hodgson are all average sized at best. Grigorenko, Vanek, and Armia are all tall but not especially heavy. (Vanek is 207 according to Yahoo, compared to about 227 for Foligno.)

That's a very talented Top 9 if everyone hits their ceiling but I wouldn't feel great going into the playoffs built like that.

MacKinnon I have heard say is not at all afraid to be physical and Catenacci is physical from what i have seen (limited, someone may have better insight)

I put him on the 3rd line. Kid is fast with a great set of hands. There is def potential there.

As for being small, the only players under 6ft would be Catnasty(5'10"), MacKinnon(5'11"), and Ennis(5'9")

I don't believe in this philosphy of everyone has to be 6ft+ and 200lbs+ but here we may just disagree about team building (which is fine ;) )

I think about weight as much as I think about height for this (see above).

Sure, Catenacci has potential but he's still a long shot and I'd rather have a two-way checking line as our third line.

exactly my point

Vanek-CoHo-Armia

Ennis-Grigs-MacKinnon

Foligno-Catenacci-Kaleta?Someone else

I feel like that 3 years from now is possbily a cup team.

My issue is that management seems to be afraid of the idea of a rebuild. I think one is really okay. If it needs to happen then make it happen. The ultimate goal should be to win the cup. If you have to take a few steps backward to take strides forward then why not? Yeah it's a risk, but it's professional sports, there are always risks. If we play our cards right players like pommer and stafford could bring in some sizable returns, whether they be a player like ROR, or some high end picks.

I would not be saddened to see a roster that looked like this in a few years:

Vanek - Coho - Drouin

Ennis - Grigorenko - Armia

Foligno - ROR - Ott

Tropp - Girgensons - Kaleta

that's a damn good roster on paper, and one that i think would be fun to watch as well. It theoretically brings a great mix of size, grit, and skill, as well as speed.

Factor in a D that (assuming Myers turns it around) could look like this:

Myers - Ehrhoff

Sekera - Mcnabb

Weber - Pysyk

There's a lot to like there in my mind, and if all goes well your goaltending looks like this:

Miller

Makarov (or FA backup)

That's really a team i could get behind, and i would be willing to wait for. if you set yourself up right and make a competitive and balanced team, then you can do as the Bruins do and swap out assets for more future assets (ie. Kessel for the pick that becomes Seguin). Right now i do not think this team has the pieces needed to assemble a truly cup competitive roster without bottoming out for at least one season.

When players like Drury and Briere walk, that hurts a team not only on the ice but in terms of assets as well. Those are players that could have returned big pieces in trades had we deemed it not possible to resign them. Granted, the way the team looked that year, they would have been mad to make such a move, we still lost out more than just in terms of performance on ice. We need to get value back before we can pull deals like the "elite" clubs, and IMO the fastest way to value like that is through the top picks in the draft.

I think about weight as much as I think about height for this (see above).

Sure, Catenacci has potential but he's still a long shot and I'd rather have a two-way checking line as our third line.

I to like to look at weight. Cat is a long shot agreed and if we got RoR it changes the conversation, but I think O'Reilly may want more $ than we could afford for our 3rd line center.

My issue is that management seems to be afraid of the idea of a rebuild. I think one is really okay. If it needs to happen then make it happen. The ultimate goal should be to win the cup. If you have to take a few steps backward to take strides forward then why not? Yeah it's a risk, but it's professional sports, there are always risks. If we play our cards right players like pommer and stafford could bring in some sizable returns, whether they be a player like ROR, or some high end picks.

Vanek - Coho - Drouin

Foligno - ROR - Ott

that's a damn good roster on paper, and one that i think would be fun to watch as well. It theoretically brings a great mix of size, grit, and skill, as well as speed.

I actually like that roster and tend to agree with you. If we suck for 12 months and then start to rise from the ashes I can live with that. At least then there is a plan, a direction, something. This seems like darcy tries to cobble together a team that may be okay and then he hopes for the best.

Vanek - Coho - Drouin

Foligno - ROR - Ott

Factor in a D that (assuming Myers turns it around) could look like this:

Myers - Ehrhoff

Sekera - Mcnabb

Weber - Pysyk

There's a lot to like there in my mind, and if all goes well your goaltending looks like this:

Miller

Makarov (or FA backup)

That's really a team i could get behind, and i would be willing to wait for. if you set yourself up right and make a competitive and balanced team, then you can do as the Bruins do and swap out assets for more future assets (ie. Kessel for the pick that becomes Seguin). Right now i do not think this team has the pieces needed to assemble a truly cup competitive roster without bottoming out for at least one season.

When players like Drury and Briere walk, that hurts a team not only on the ice but in terms of assets as well. Those are players that could have returned big pieces in trades had we deemed it not possible to resign them. Granted, the way the team looked that year, they would have been mad to make such a move, we still lost out more than just in terms of performance on ice. We need to get value back before we can pull deals like the "elite" clubs, and IMO the fastest way to value like that is through the top picks in the draft.

Good Post. Looks like quite a lineup if it ever came to fruition.

My thoughts exactly. The team needs a premium pick like #1 or #2 or #3. This is how you get your franchise players in most cases. Gil Perreault was the best example in Sabres history. You're just not going to get that player drafting 9th. The Penguins got Crosby and Malkin because they really stunk for a couple years. The Sabres muddle along the mediocre side of bad and never get the top picks.

The bottom line is that this team needs more talent and less deadwood who get paid many millions and don't score at all. Stafford and Leino and several others are killing this team. The owner fired the wrong guy. Regier was more to blame than Ruff. Where's the talent? Who is responsible for getting it?

The best coach in the league would not get this team to the playoffs with the dearth of talent.

Yep, because when the Sabres had the #1 pick overall, Sakic went 15th. :doh:

And when they chose Rick Seiling at #14, Bossy went 15th. :doh: :doh:

Or were you referring to Cam Neely going 9th when the Sabres held the 5th, 10th, and 11ths picks? :doh: :doh: :doh:

[EDIT: PPP22, the :doh:'s were aimed at past Sabres' management.]

Yup

Are you referring to his 1st statement or his 2nd?

The 1st is correct, but the 2nd would have been incorrect in the past. The lottery was only for the 1st pick in the 1st round. Has that changed with the new CBA?

At this rate the Sabres will win enough games not to make the playoffs, be competitive and blow any chance of getting a top 5 pick... Crap, wish they would just stay in the crapper, which is why I think they should make some trades and get rid of some of these guys who either have no future or only play when it looks a contract is on the line or they are going to be punished. I like the fact that Stafford is finally playing where he should be on third line. I still trade him for whatever you can get for him.

Preach it, brother.

Although, I so want DR, or whomever is GM, to figure out a way to draft MacKinnon as well.

Drouin to MacKinnon would be PP magic.

No team trades away a top 3 pick.

Would be great, but we aint gettin both of em....only time I recall something like that happening recently was with the Sedin twins.

No team trades away a top 3 pick.

Sabres GM "Hey Columbus I will trade you Thomas Vanek for your 1st round pick, Remember you have 2 others!"

Columbus GM "A top player who would immediately improve my team and is signed through next year... yes."

You could do it but it would take big gigantic balls and in this years draft, a top 3 is worth its weight in gold.

ps the above example is a exaggerated joke trade just fyi.

We could get Drouin and Mckinnon - get a first at the deadline and then hope that team a) misses the playoffs and b) wins the lottery :P

I'm already mentally preparing myself for the Sabres picking 10th overall. Basically they won't finish anywhere near a playoff spot, but they'll put together enough wins to make sure they aren't in a position to draft anyone good enough to change the state of the franchise down the line.

I'm already mentally preparing myself for the Sabres picking 10th overall. Basically they won't finish anywhere near a playoff spot, but they'll put together enough wins to make sure they aren't in a position to draft anyone good enough to change the state of the franchise down the line.

Maybe. But looking at other teams, I really wouldn't be shocked with us picking 4th/5th - especially if we sell at the deadline

And just to add insult to injury, someone who finishes ahead of us will win the lottery, bumping us back one pick.

If the Sabres don't land a top 3 pick, i wouldnt mind trading a bunch if assets for the 4th pick to select Hunter Shinkaruk. Really love the way this guys plays. He's on the smaller side, at 5'11, but this guy is the complete package. Plays with full confidence, with i think we fail with as an organization, he's a captain for his WHL team and has that swagger, similar to Joel Armia. I feel like this is a player who only gets better when gets get tighter and more physical. He doesn't fold at first sight of adversity like our players do, he embraces it.

We're one Ryan Miller season ending injury away from a lotter pick.

If the Sabres don't land a top 3 pick, i wouldnt mind trading a bunch if assets for the 4th pick to select Hunter Shinkaruk. Really love the way this guys plays. He's on the smaller side, at 5'11, but this guy is the complete package. Plays with full confidence, with i think we fail with as an organization, he's a captain for his WHL team and has that swagger, similar to Joel Armia. I feel like this is a player who only gets better when gets get tighter and more physical. He doesn't fold at first sight of adversity like our players do, he embraces it.

His WHL numbers are great and he has some cool highlights, but I just can't get excited about another small skill forward. Haven't we been trying to win with small skill forwards since 1970? Has it worked yet?

And every now and then I'll read about a prospect who is "small, but plays bigger than he is." That's cool, but I'd rather draft guys who are big and play as big as they are.

And I do realize that by writing this there is now a 100% chance that the Sabres will draft Shinkaruk. So I can look forward to that in June.

Maybe. But looking at other teams, I really wouldn't be shocked with us picking 4th/5th - especially if we sell at the deadline

Oh, this is another nightmare....if we DON'T sell at the deadline. Like we're just close enough and Darcy thinks that maybe a late run will save his job. Maybe he'll even trade a pick for a rental. (Remember the Fat Raffi Torres experiment?)

If ever there was a season to just get it over with and be terrible, this is it. It's only 48 games. Just be terrible for 48 games, load up on draft picks, and try again in 6 months.

Archived