2013 NHL Entry Draft: Buffalo Sabres Select...

LGR4GM

Jones or MacKinnon  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you draft given the 1st overall pick?

• Seth Jones
    • Nathan MacKinnon
    • Jonathan Drouin
  2. 2. Who do you think the Sabres should draft at #8 overall?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadarov/Other defender
    • Zach Fucale
    • Other, please post name

His WHL numbers are great and he has some cool highlights, but I just can't get excited about another small skill forward. Haven't we been trying to win with small skill forwards since 1970? Has it worked yet?

And every now and then I'll read about a prospect who is "small, but plays bigger than he is." That's cool, but I'd rather draft guys who are big and play as big as they are.

And I do realize that by writing this there is now a 100% chance that the Sabres will draft Shinkaruk. So I can look forward to that in June.

Oh, this is another nightmare....if we DON'T sell at the deadline. Like we're just close enough and Darcy thinks that maybe a late run will save his job. Maybe he'll even trade a pick for a rental. (Remember the Fat Raffi Torres experiment?)

If ever there was a season to just get it over with and be terrible, this is it. It's only 48 games. Just be terrible for 48 games, load up on draft picks, and try again in 6 months.

Ennis is small and plays big - but it just doesn;t work sometimes. Outside the top 3 I really like Barkov - big two way centre

His WHL numbers are great and he has some cool highlights, but I just can't get excited about another small skill forward. Haven't we been trying to win with small skill forwards since 1970? Has it worked yet?

And every now and then I'll read about a prospect who is "small, but plays bigger than he is." That's cool, but I'd rather draft guys who are big and play as big as they are.

And I do realize that by writing this there is now a 100% chance that the Sabres will draft Shinkaruk. So I can look forward to that in June.

I would agree completely with your first arguement and hope like hell your last conclusion is wrong.

Ennis is small and plays big - but it just doesn;t work sometimes. Outside the top 3 I really like Barkov - big two way centre

I could get excited about Barkov, Nichuskin, or Monahan. If we're drafting 7th and the Big 3 are gone along with those three, I'm probably thinking Zadarov. (Lindholm is a super safe pick, but with a relatively low ceiling that high in the draft so I'd gamble on someone else.)

I could get excited about Barkov, Nichuskin, or Monahan. If we're drafting 7th and the Big 3 are gone along with those three, I'm probably thinking Zadarov. (Lindholm is a super safe pick, but with a relatively low ceiling that high in the draft so I'd gamble on someone else.)

FYI: Nischuskin recently signed on for three additional years in the KHL.

Outside the top 3 I really like Barkov - big two way centre

If we drafted 6-9 I would say Sean Monahan would be my first pick with Anthony Mantha, both are big 2 way players. Monahan is a really complete player from what I have read and is the Captain of his team. He also plays in the OHL which produces some really great players.

My problem with Barkov is he is very young and almost ineligible for this years draft. I think he is more of a gamble but def someone I wouldn't mind the Sabres taking a look at.

That will drop him down the draft. 3 years is quite a while for a top 5ish pick

honestly i wouldn't touch him now. Seems he likes the KHL.

That will drop him down the draft. 3 years is quite a while for a top 5ish pick

He was always going to be the biggest risk in the top ten (maybe in the whole draft). I'm not sure how it all works with the KHL contract. I knew he was already playing in the KHL because he was too good for the MHL (their minor league) as a 17 year old. I've read some stuff about him being excited about coming to North America so who knows what he really wants? That's something every team is going to have to investigate. This isn't like Grigorenko who'd already moved to North America to play in the Q.

If we drafted 6-9 I would say Sean Monahan would be my first pick with Anthony Mantha, both are big 2 way players. Monahan is a really complete player from what I have read and is the Captain of his team. He also plays in the OHL which produces some really great players.

My problem with Barkov is he is very young and almost ineligible for this years draft. I think he is more of a gamble but def someone I wouldn't mind the Sabres taking a look at.

Look at it this way: Barkov is almost young enough to be in the 2014 draft and yet he's already putting up better numbers in the Finnish league than Armia is. He's also bigger and heavier than most of the other guys projected to be drafted around him this year. I think he's going to be a steal for whoever gets him.

honestly i wouldn't touch him now. Seems he likes the KHL.

That is a point worth noting. I think Drouin and McKinnon will be fine based on their talent but I've seen more kids fail comming out of the Q than the OHL and WHL.

That is a point worth noting. I think Drouin and McKinnon will be fine based on their talent but I've seen more kids fail comming out of the Q than the OHL and WHL.

Grigorenko dominated the Q, so hope he isn't one to fail. I can't see it happening.

EDIT TO ADD:

Speaking of the Q. The Halifax Mooseheads just keep on winning (record now is: 52 - 6 - 2 - 1 for 107 points). I can't wait for the playoffs.

I think it is because it is a league which focuses more on finesse, whereas the O is more all round and the W is more gritty (that was my basic understanding of it). Finesse is the hardest one to apply to the higher leagues, as the game gets quicker and so there is less time or space to make a move.

I'm calling it now, with the 4th overall pick the Buffalo Sabres are pleased to announce they choose Barkov

I think it is because it is a league which focuses more on finesse, whereas the O is more all round and the W is more gritty (that was my basic understanding of it). Finesse is the hardest one to apply to the higher leagues, as the game gets quicker and so there is less time or space to make a move.

I'm calling it now, with the 4th overall pick the Buffalo Sabres are pleased to announce they choose Barkov

I know talent is talent but I cringe at the Euro's. Can't help it. Too many Zagrapans, Perssons, Kryukovs, in the Sabres in the past.

Grigorenko dominated the Q, so hope he isn't one to fail. I can't see it happening.

EDIT TO ADD:

Speaking of the Q. The Halifax Mooseheads just keep on winning (record now is: 52 - 6 - 2 - 1 for 107 points). I can't wait for the playoffs.

I know. I'm glad he 'fell' to us but that was the first thing I thought of when we got him. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we did get him and am not predicting bust or anything like that but it's definelty something I've noticed. As someone else mentioned it is more of a finesse type league.

Edit, I just noticed the Mosseheads record. That is insane.

I know. I'm glad he 'fell' to us but that was the first thing I thought of when we got him. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we did get him and am not predicting bust or anything like that but it's definelty something I've noticed. As someone else mentioned it is more of a finesse type league.

Edit, I just noticed the Mosseheads record. That is insane.

Yeah, I hear ya.

The Mooseheads played their back up last night against the Titan. A crazy back and forth game that the Moose lost in OT ... the looser point gives them 108.

Six games to go in the regular season, but there could be trouble in Mooseland.

MacKinnon is still out with an injury (I forget what) and last night they played without Drouin (not sure why).

Some news on MacKinnon's knee injury:

Basically there was minor damage and he is healed but they had no reason to ruch him so they were letting him get back to 100% as opposed to playing him at 80%

http://thechronicleh...mains-hot-topic

and the Feb 15 draft rankings - Midterm Ranks

http://www.nhl.com/i...spectbrowse.htm

Finally for those who have discussed or even just thought "wish we had Logan Couture" or those saying "we will probably draft 5-10thish"

I give you Sean Monahan. Big center who plays on a terrible team with a lack of talent in the OHL. At 6'2" 187lbs he fits the build for todays NHL. Also judging from the article I am posting with this, this kid has heart, miles and miles of heart, which is what we desperatley need. 62gp 33g 45a 78pts

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/ottawa-67-sean-monahan-shows-nhler-already-playing-183002949.html

Here's my question, are mackinnon and drouin both that good? or does Drouin have his points because of mackinnon and or vice versa?

Maybe Jones is the best choice. especially with mcCabe in the pipeline

They are both individually creative and dynamic playmakers with great hockey sense/high compete levels. Couldn't go wrong with either player or Jones for that matter.

Here's my question, are mackinnon and drouin both that good? or does Drouin have his points because of mackinnon and or vice versa?

Maybe Jones is the best choice. especially with mcCabe in the pipeline

In MacKinnon's absence Drouin has not slowed down at all. He continues to score and set up teammates. I would say that they are both good on their own. The more I see Drouin I wonder if he is the way to go. His sakting, speed, stickhandling, and drive are impressive. Not sure if he is gritty though.

In MacKinnon's absence Drouin has not slowed down at all. He continues to score and set up teammates. I would say that they are both good on their own. The more I see Drouin I wonder if he is the way to go. His sakting, speed, stickhandling, and drive are impressive. Not sure if he is gritty though.

Are you serious?

Really, if the Sabres draft Drouin he would be their best LW since Martin. Dare I say, maybe even better than Martin.

I doubt even Inky would be worried about his grit.

He is not one too shy away from dishing out a good hit fairly often, though.

Are you serious?

Really, if the Sabres draft Drouin he would be their best LW since Martin. Dare I say, maybe even better than Martin.

Yes I seriously was unsure. Thank you for the clarification though. Drouin sounds like the guy we may want to pursue.

I wouldn't care about grit at all drafting that high. That is some lofty praise though.

I wouldn't care about grit at all drafting that high. That is some lofty praise though.

Agreed on the praise comment, and although I like Drouin, I don't see his consistency in his junior career, he has vastly improved, but only time will tell if he can transition to the pro's with those skills. But, with that said, LW is a position of need for us, so yea, I'd grab him if we are drafting and he is there.

Left Wing and Defense is a must this draft IMO.

This thread is the only thing keeping me going Sabres wise.

The real excitement will be on deadline day, if the Sabres make significant deals for current pro talent, or they go for the draft picks, that will be very telling indeed.

Archived