Is it too early to bust on Toronto?

Doohickie

Gotta say with Brian Burke, I thought they were making some steps forward. The players they drafted or traded for and I really thought they would be in the hunt for a playoff spot soon. However now that they fired him I have no idea what to think of the Leafs and their future.

Gotta say with Brian Burke, I thought they were making some steps forward. The players they drafted or traded for and I really thought they would be in the hunt for a playoff spot soon. However now that they fired him I have no idea what to think of the Leafs and their future.

I agree.. Toronto was on the rise under Burke.. This move still strikes me as crazy..

Really?? I don't know, maybe I'm just absorbed in the Leaf media but their draft picks have been very dissapointing under Burke. I know he traded away two first round draft picks in the Kessel deal but who's really come through for them? Morgan Rielly may turn into a great NHL defensman but it is way too early to give a grade on this pick and this previous draft for that matter.

In 2011 they ended up trading to get two late first round draft picks. Tyler Biggs may become something but time will definetly tell as he's only played junior and hasn't ripped it up in Oshawa (which I'm from the Oshawa area so I've seen this kid play). The other pick was Stuart Percy whom I admittedly know little about. None of the other names have jumped out at me in terms of tearing up their respective leagues.

In 2010 the earliest selection they had was in the second round but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe a single player has played a game in the NHL as of yet. In fact, none of the names jump out as players that really have any shot at the team.

In 2009 Nazem Kadri has thus far been a clossal dissapointment. When selected he was the talk of the town and expected to be great. He may still work out but it's likely he will yet again spend the season with the Marlies. The only other player in that draft that is discussed is 6th rounder Jeremy D'Aimgo but he (as far as I'm aware) has not yet played a single game for the Leafs.

As far as I can tell, the drafts have been one big disspointment after another.

In terms of trades/signings he has had a couple of gems but for every gem, there has been as big of a trade/signing blunder.

Some nice trades include: Leafs aquired Phaneuf for a package of players with which almost none have worked out in Calgary. Phaneuf has not played as well as expected but was the key piece in the trade and is there current captain (2010)

Leafs trade Beauchamin to Anehiem for Lupal and Gardiner (huge steal in 2011)

Poor Signings/Trades: Signed Tim Connelly to a RAISE after leaving the Sabres. He has struggled there and many look at the positives of having his salary come off the books in another season

WAY overpaid for Mike Komiserak in 2009 and he is still on their books.

Other notables: Kessel for what has turned into Seguin and Douggie Hamilton. Kessel has been a good player for the Leafs but if they thought they would end up with top picks to select Seguin and Hamilton I very much doubt they make that trade.

Burke calls Wilson the best coach in the National Hockey League, then fires him less than a month later.

I don't know guys, I think Burke has set that team back atleast 5 years. In his time in T.O. he never found a franchise goaltender despite going through several, never found a franchise centreman (which he routinely said he wanted) and never really found a new face of the franchise.

Not to mention they never once made the playoffs under Burke and ended up 5th last in the entire league last season.

Really?? I don't know, maybe I'm just absorbed in the Leaf media but their draft picks have been very dissapointing under Burke. I know he traded away two first round draft picks in the Kessel deal but who's really come through for them? Morgan Rielly may turn into a great NHL defensman but it is way too early to give a grade on this pick and this previous draft for that matter.

In 2011 they ended up trading to get two late first round draft picks. Tyler Biggs may become something but time will definetly tell as he's only played junior and hasn't ripped it up in Oshawa (which I'm from the Oshawa area so I've seen this kid play). The other pick was Stuart Percy whom I admittedly know little about. None of the other names have jumped out at me in terms of tearing up their respective leagues.

In 2010 the earliest selection they had was in the second round but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe a single player has played a game in the NHL as of yet. In fact, none of the names jump out as players that really have any shot at the team.

In 2009 Nazem Kadri has thus far been a clossal dissapointment. When selected he was the talk of the town and expected to be great. He may still work out but it's likely he will yet again spend the season with the Marlies. The only other player in that draft that is discussed is 6th rounder Jeremy D'Aimgo but he (as far as I'm aware) has not yet played a single game for the Leafs.

As far as I can tell, the drafts have been one big disspointment after another.

In terms of trades/signings he has had a couple of gems but for every gem, there has been as big of a trade/signing blunder.

Some nice trades include: Leafs aquired Phaneuf for a package of players with which almost none have worked out in Calgary. Phaneuf has not played as well as expected but was the key piece in the trade and is there current captain (2010)

Leafs trade Beauchamin to Anehiem for Lupal and Gardiner (huge steal in 2011)

Poor Signings/Trades: Signed Tim Connelly to a RAISE after leaving the Sabres. He has struggled there and many look at the positives of having his salary come off the books in another season

WAY overpaid for Mike Komiserak in 2009 and he is still on their books.

Other notables: Kessel for what has turned into Seguin and Douggie Hamilton. Kessel has been a good player for the Leafs but if they thought they would end up with top picks to select Seguin and Hamilton I very much doubt they make that trade.

Burke calls Wilson the best coach in the National Hockey League, then fires him less than a month later.

I don't know guys, I think Burke has set that team back atleast 5 years. In his time in T.O. he never found a franchise goaltender despite going through several, never found a franchise centreman (which he routinely said he wanted) and never really found a new face of the franchise.

Not to mention they never once made the playoffs under Burke and ended up 5th last in the entire league last season.

I mostly agree. However, when he took control,Antropov was their best player... now they have Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf etc. What has been a shambles is their draft record - it is awful, but perhaps that is the scouting departments fault? I also think when he got Kessel he thought they would be losing a 12-20ish first round pick, not high picks (although that trade is still awful). Imagine if the Leafs had not hugely ###### up, they would have Rask in goal, Sequin as their number 1 centre and a defence that included Gardiner, Phaneuf and Hamilton. Now that would be a nice position to be in.

I mostly agree. However, when he took control,Antropov was their best player... now they have Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf etc. What has been a shambles is their draft record - it is awful, but perhaps that is the scouting departments fault? I also think when he got Kessel he thought they would be losing a 12-20ish first round pick, not high picks (although that trade is still awful). Imagine if the Leafs had not hugely ###### up, they would have Rask in goal, Sequin as their number 1 centre and a defence that included Gardiner, Phaneuf and Hamilton. Now that would be a nice position to be in.

Make no mistake Burke is the boss of that crew. Or was. You can't really blame the scouting department on a team that Burke is President and G.M. of.

His ego is just too damn big. Its his way or the highway. I agree with Derrico and his assessment but I do agree they seemed closer to the playoffs which has more to do with overall league parity than anything. They just as easily could have been a lottery team this season. Here's hoping they are.

That sign is one of the oldest running jokes about the laughs, they need to come up with something new and fresh

As for the Laughs, its never to early

As for Burke, I actually think they are going to improve without that guy running things, although they did give the job to Burke Light (or Burke 2.0), only difference is that Nonis is a Pr*ck/@sshole to deal with or in the media.

Watching a bunch of Leafs hockey (because of my wife) that teams a mess, but with better goaltending, they can get themselves to a point where they can be considered contenders for a playoff spot.

One question is how well Lupul can work with his old Anaheim coach again (IIRC I think there was some issues between them in Anaheim and its why he was moved to Toronto)

Burke had the Leafs on the rise in the same way Nix has the Bills on the rise. Is the team more talented than when each took over? Absolutely. However, neither team has gotten better at a faster rate than the competition, hence both continue to draft within the same range and finish with similar records, despite a more talented roster.

I, personally would never bust upon Toronto as a Concept.

Toronto is really great.

We are a good match for them, here in Buffalo, since we are bursting at the seams with American Greatness.

I feel sorry for Canadians, since they have smaller testicles due to the daylight.

Lol.. You just never know what you are going to read on this board..

post-3826-0-73283800-1358352453_thumb.jpg

thought this was funny, never seen him with hair

Holy crap... I have Tim Connolly hair...

if we could still +1, i would soooo +1 you right now

This is dirty. ;)

Who would be dumb enough to give up assetts for him?

Oh God, someone lock Darcy in a closet ASAP and take away his cell phone!

Fax machine? Cans connected with string? A string of massive fire beacons between Buffalo and Toronto?

Archived