Is it too early to bust on Toronto?

Doohickie

• 1 month later...

Don't know if anyone noticed, the Toronto Maple Leafs clinched a playoff spot last night.

JVR has to be one of the best pickups of the season.

If Joffrey Lupul can stay healthy and James Reimer can give them some consistent play in net the Leafs may just surprise some teams.

Don't know if anyone noticed, the Toronto Maple Leafs clinched a playoff spot last night.

If Joffrey Lupul can stay healthy and James Reimer can give them some consistent play in net the Leafs may just surprise some teams.

Guess we can't talk about how clueless the Islanders are either.

John Tavares is legit. It's a shame that due to the lockout his going to miss out on what would likely have been his first 40 goal season.

We can add Ovechkin and the Caps to the list. Ovechkin should get a good amount of votes for MVP, he has been his old dominant self as of late.

I forget, who put this team together?

Nobody seems to be laughing now. The Sabres, built by and drafted by Darcy Regier, sit on the sidelines at playoff time a SECOND straight year in a row. Whereas the Leafs are in the post-season.

I still think there is still something funny about a 9 year playoff drought.

Kadri and Bozak's emergence and Carlyle's coaching have something to do with it.

Not sure if they have the team defense or enough dig in the corners for the playoffs, but they will be interesting to watch.

I still think there is still something funny about a 9 year playoff drought.

Kadri and Bozak's emergence and Carlyle's coaching have something to do with it.

Not sure if they have the team defense or enough dig in the corners for the playoffs, but they will be interesting to watch.

9 years or 2 years and counting, there is nothing funny about a playoff drought.

Phil Kessel came back strong after taking 11 games to core his first goal. When Kessel is going well and Lupul is healthy, this is a dangerous team offensively.

9 years or 2 years and counting, there is nothing funny about a playoff drought.

9 years is pretty damn funny.

Phil Kessel came back strong after taking 11 games to core his first goal. When Kessel is going well and Lupul is healthy, this is a dangerous team offensively.

Theirs will be a fun series to watch. I'm not quite a believer, but anything can happen in the playoffs.

Decent kill, decent powerplay, inconsistent backcheck.

We've never had the right to be arrogant. Have not won anything to be arrogant about.

True. But it's sport around here to look down at most of the rest of the league. I don't know how many "should wins" we had this season. Swamp has it right. No room for Kovy, Ovi... I claimed last season it would be more fun to be an Islander fan right now, and you'd think I had just shaved my legs and jumped into a tank of piranhas.

My memory isn't the best, but I think there were people on this board just a couple months ago arguing that the Islanders didn't get any benefit from having the top overall pick a few years back. Hmmmmm........

In fairness I still think they're clueless. And cheap. But hey, having John Tavares can cover a lot of sins.

The Sabres should draft a guy as good as Tavares with the 10th overall pick. Because that's where you find guys like that, and that's how you win. Or something.

The Sabres should draft a guy as good as Tavares with the 10th overall pick. Because that's where you find guys like that, and that's how you win. Or something.

You know what's going to happen, right? Nichuschkin is going to fall to us because teams are scared he'll never come over, then Pegula will work out some kind of buyout to get him here in a year. Then he'll turn into a superstar just to spite us, and we'll never hear the end of getting a superstar at 10. Such is the price of our frequent snark on this matter :lol:

Didn't they trade for Ehrhoff's rights and were willing to pay him? That said, I wonder if Ehrhoff regrets that decision now?

They also traded for a contract they didn't have to pay out just to reach the cap floor. Please tell me you're not going to argue they aren't cheap just because they traded for Ehrhoff's rights.

They also traded for a contract they didn't have to pay out just to reach the cap floor. Please tell me you're not going to argue they aren't cheap just because they traded for Ehrhoff's rights.

I'll argue they have done a better job with the money they spent than Regier and Pegula's unlimited resources.

You know what's going to happen, right? Nichuschkin is going to fall to us because teams are scared he'll never come over, then Pegula will work out some kind of buyout to get him here in a year. Then he'll turn into a superstar just to spite us, and we'll never hear the end of getting a superstar at 10. Such is the price of our frequent snark on this matter :lol:

Same thing that'll happen if Grigorenko makes it: "See, we can draft a star player at #12 overall! He just needs to be insanely talented, from Russia, and come down with mono at the tail end of his draft year to convince every other team that he's lazy and doesn't care."

The Nichushkin thing is alarmingly plausible (the idea of us drafting him, not the idea of us getting him and him becoming a total superstar). I think he'll be there when we draft and he'll be hard to pass up.

I'll argue they have done a better job with the money they spent than Regier and Pegula's unlimited resources.

If you want to sing the praises of the Isles management, knock yourself out. This is a group that's still paying Alexei Yashin.

When I look at their roster, Snow and his FO/scouting staff must be damn lucky beyond Tavares if cluelessness is indeed the case.

They've had a lot of high picks who are starting to come on. Keep in mind Snow wanted to trade his entire draft to move up two spots for Ryan Murray, who doesn't exactly project as the next Scott Niedermayer.

Same thing that'll happen if Grigorenko makes it: "See, we can draft a star player at #12 overall! He just needs to be insanely talented, from Russia, and come down with mono at the tail end of his draft year to convince every other team that he's lazy and doesn't care."

The Nichushkin thing is alarmingly plausible (the idea of us drafting him, not the idea of us getting him and him becoming a total superstar). I think he'll be there when we draft and he'll be hard to pass up.

If Grigs becomes a superstar, I'll gladly take my medicine.... although I'd probably try to rationalize it because I wasn't cheering for the tank last year :P

If we draft 8-10 and Nichushkin is there, we must take him. Upside is too high to ignore. (Assuming Monahan and Lindolm are gone)

Archived