The other sports thread

Eleven

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

A great player. I'm not a huge NBA guy, but I do realize he is a great player, but I was always under the impression he was the 2nd best player on that team behind Tatum?

$61 Million dollars a year for who might be your 2nd best player?  Who is going into his 8th year in the league without a championship?  I mean he's great I guess, just the number kinda surprises me...especially when Lebron, Curry, Durant, Giannis...all are making salaries close to that $40m per year mark.

jb.JPG

$61M is close to what the City of Buffalo is budgeted to pay for all of the firefighters/EMS personnel in the current budget year. 🤯

edit: my apologies for the not really sports related commentary.

Edited by irregularly irregular

This installment of the USWNT can't finish and leaves the center of the backfield way too open.  Vietnam should have been a 6-0 win.  This should be a 1-0 lead.  Way too much concern about being fouled and not enough action.  We need to make changes right now (at half) or risk losing this and the next game, too.  Yeah, I know about the injuries to Sauerbrunn, Mewis, Press, Pugh, etc.  Still.  And if Lavelle is healthy, why is she on the bench tonight?

The best darn boxer on the face of the planet put on an absolute clinic tonight. Terrance 'Bud' Crawford absolutely dominated Errol 'Tue Truth' Spence in their welterweight unification bout. Bud is now the first man to ever be Undisputed in 2 weight classes. 

He beat the breaks off of Spence for 8.5 rounds, flooring him 3 times, Spence had previously never been knocked down in his career, until the ref had seen enough and called it.

Total domination. He's the absolute best boxer in the world.

In other news, the UFC event tonight was pretty good. Lots of KO's and submissions. 2 head kick KO's. An all-around fun night for watching guys beat the crap out of each other. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour and 11 minutes. Ho hum, 6-3, 6-1. Her second set was excellent. I'd like to see her play sharper angles in her next match against Svitolina. 

53 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Women's tennis in general.  Yeah, it's bigger in a slam, but women's tennis is so tactical and so much fun to watch.

I love the speed of the men's game as well. 

On 8/23/2023 at 9:51 PM, Eleven said:

The last time the Yankees lost this many in a row, no one knew who Madonna was/is.

I don't follow baseball anymore since it's been wrecked, but this is great.

I was a big Yankees fan growing up, and a big MLB fan overall. I hardly watch any MLB games anymore, i 'casually' follow the season through the standings and highlights, and honestly I really don't care for the Yankees anymore. More of an 'indifference' which I still can't figure out because they used to be my favorite team as a kid.

With that said, this is a time they should strip this down and rebuild. Yes, I know, they have some big name players signed to long term deals. But this team isn't going anywhere, and even when they were in the playoffs over the last 3-5 years I never found them that likeable.

Instead of saying how much money they have, so they don't have to 'rebuild', but 'retool' instead, take the other route. Because of how much money they have, they should be able to get the best/highest paid scouts, they can bid for the best/highest paid development coaches.  A full rebuild may not be quicker than anyone else but if they deploy those resources the right way, it should be more of a 'sure thing' than anyone else if they have a fully loaded scouting and coaching staff.  I'd find the team more likeable if the majority of the team was YOUNG, and home grown.  I never liked trading for or signing the high priced mercenaries. 

If it takes 3-5 years before you are good again, so be it. The Yankees and their fans aren't better than anyone else and don't have a birthright to have their rebuilds happen instantly anymore than any other fanbase.

Edited by mjd1001

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I was a big Yankees fan growing up, and a big MLB fan overall. I hardly watch any MLB games anymore, i 'casually' follow the season through the standings and highlights, and honestly I really don't care for the Yankees anymore. More of an 'indifference' which I still can't figure out because they used to be my favorite team as a kid.

With that said, this is a time they should strip this down and rebuild. Yes, I know, they have some big name players signed to long term deals. But this team isn't going anywhere, and even when they were in the playoffs over the last 3-5 years I never found them that likeable.

Instead of saying how much money they have, so they don't have to 'rebuild', but 'retool' instead, take the other route. Because of how much money they have, they should be able to get the best/highest paid scouts, they can bid for the best/highest paid development coaches.  A full rebuild may not be quicker than anyone else but if they deploy those resources the right way, it should be more of a 'sure thing' than anyone else if they have a fully loaded scouting and coaching staff.  I'd find the team more likeable if the majority of the team was YOUNG, and home grown.  I never liked trading for or signing the high priced mercenaries. 

If it takes 3-5 years before you are good again, so be it. The Yankees and their fans aren't better than anyone else and don't have a birthright to have their rebuilds happen instantly anymore than any other fanbase.

The Yankees have the reigning AL MVP and the likely 2023 AL Cy Young winner on their current roster ... they are not rebuilding.  And it won't take 3-5 years for them to be good again.  I agree that they need some youth on their roster, and this past series vs the Astros showed some of that potential.  I don't think Boone gets them a ring, but that's a different matter.  I'd be shocked if NY was not in the thick of a division title/wild card hunt by this time next year.

9 hours ago, thenow76 said:

The Yankees have the reigning AL MVP and the likely 2023 AL Cy Young winner on their current roster ... they are not rebuilding.  And it won't take 3-5 years for them to be good again.  I agree that they need some youth on their roster, and this past series vs the Astros showed some of that potential.  I don't think Boone gets them a ring, but that's a different matter.  I'd be shocked if NY was not in the thick of a division title/wild card hunt by this time next year.

They are not rebuilding, but my point is they should be. They will not in large part because of the investments they've made in Judge and Cole.

Were going to disagree Because I don't agree that they're gonna contend for a World Series title anytime soon. it's possible. I just don't see it. 

To me, the best case scenario with this current roster and some moderate tweaking would be to get them back to contending in the division and hopefully making the playoffs. But not being a favorite for the World Series. I think that's the best case scenario.

However, if they were to go through a legitimate rebuild, they could probably be closer to the yankees of the late 90s and early 2000s, where they are year in and year out a favorite, with the assets and the money they have to get to that point.

If I were a hardcore Yankees fan, that is 100% What I want them to do, not just tweaking and moderate changes.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Tim Wakefield passed away today. For Red Sox fans, he represented resilience and kindness. I will remember him very fondly. 

Fascinating guy. Hit 40 homers in college but wasn't going to make it as a 1st basemen . Learned the knuckleball and started in low minors as a pitcher. Played a lot of games for AAA Buffalo between 1992-1994. I saw him play a few times. RIP. 

2 hours ago, Night Train said:

Fascinating guy. Hit 40 homers in college but wasn't going to make it as a 1st basemen . Learned the knuckleball and started in low minors as a pitcher. Played a lot of games for AAA Buffalo between 1992-1994. I saw him play a few times. RIP. 

I was shocked to see that he was 58 years old.  I guess he's been retired for quite a while now, but I pretty much watched that guy play for my entire life... and I'm in my 40s.