The other sports thread

Eleven

21 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I HATE HATE, that the championship can be decided on penalty kicks. Add 15 minutes each go, and play until someone scores. That was a crap ending to an otherwise great game (and I don't really like soccer) 

Good for Messi, now go away. 

I think France would have won, but it's hard to say, that's why I'm so sad that it has to end like this. 

I watched a good chunk of the final, and of US vs Iran, but I don't like soccer either.

Deciding the WC on penalty kicks is insane.  For that matter, penalty kicks themselves are silly -- the scoring percentage is much too high, so that whenever a penalty kick is awarded, it's pretty much like awarding a goal.  Also, it's just a guessing game that frequently results in the goalie just leaping the wrong way and looking ridiculous.

The whole clock thing is pretty silly too -- the ball goes out of bounds, the players fake injuries and act like they've been shot, the refs kinda keep track of how much time all that takes and add on some indeterminate amount that for some reason doesn't show up on the scoreboard, so no one knows how much time is left -- WTF is that?

Not to mention the fact that a lot of the games are 1-0 snoozers.

Having said all of that, I've attended two big-league soccer games in Europe, and really enjoyed both of them.  The crowd was really into it and they were fun experiences.  But no thanks to watching it on TV.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, steveoath said:

What a day for Scottish Rugby. Opening game of the 6nations against England in London!

Scotland wins. And check this try.....

I saw that try yesterday!  What a run.  Didn't help that England can't tackle...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Introducing first: A look-see-do fighter, standing 6 foot 4, weighing in at 248 and 1 half pounds. Fighting out of Albuquerque, New Mexico via Endicott, New York, the former undisputed light heavyweight champion of the world. 

JON    BONES    JONES!!!!

Here we go. Let's go Bones!

The greatest MMA fighter to ever set foot in the octagon is about to step in the cage for the first time in 3 years. Jon Jones. The greatest fighter that ever lived. Never beaten. 

I've got Bones by decision in his first heavyweight appearance. I'm hoping for the KO, but I think this goes the distance and Bones teaches Gane a lesson in every aspect of MMA. That's my bet, anyway. 

Boom! And new UFC UNDISPUTED Heavyweight Champion of the World! Jon Bones Jones! 

First round sub. Guillotine. Ladies and Gents, he is the greatest fighter in the history of fighting. It's undoubted. 

6 hours ago, ubkev said:

Boom! And new UFC UNDISPUTED Heavyweight Champion of the World! Jon Bones Jones! 

First round sub. Guillotine. Ladies and Gents, he is the greatest fighter in the history of fighting. It's undoubted. 

Now he needs to stay out of trouble. He is the GOAT and we don't need to read another police report or suspension. Stay clean. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2023 at 8:43 PM, JujuFish said:

Jon Jones? Seems unfair to let the Martian Manhunter compete.

With his superhuman speed, strength, agility, reflexes, stamina, and durability, not to mention his superior fight intellect...yeah, you're right. It is unfair. 

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of ball washing of guys who's team wins 72 games every year...

Here, have 2 fastballs down the pipe. 

Sure wish team USA would let some pitching go to this tournament. 

No, I didn't enjoy the game. Yes, I'm bitter and unreasonable!(as I complain about pitching in a game where the US gave up 3 runs and pitched pretty well.)

Edited by ubkev
I'm grumpy

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What an exciting W for the Jays on opening day, 10-9 against a great Cards team. Pitching was suspect until Romano was dominant, but our ability to manufacture runs looks MUCH improved.

1-0.

Opening the season with an interleague game seems so wrong to me.  I wish they would re-balance the league.  North Carolina would kill for an expansion team.😁

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

Opening the season with an interleague game seems so wrong to me.  I wish they would re-balance the league.  North Carolina would kill for an expansion team.😁

Ya I thought it was a bit odd when they released the schedule