The other sports thread

Eleven

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Oh joy, baseball is back.. 250 games of a bunch of guys standing around for the better part of 4 hours... Right up there in excitement with Golf, Nascar and Curling. 🤢🤮

Average game time of 2 hours 45 minutes today. That's down 26 minutes from last year. Pitch clock, baby!

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Oh joy, baseball is back.. 250 games of a bunch of guys standing around for the better part of 4 hours... Right up there in excitement with Golf, Nascar and Curling. 🤢🤮

Well Skeeter, this guy bats .251 versus right handed pitchers in the second half of double headers in open air stadiums on real grass. Oh, this will take a while, the manager is coming out and it looks like the lefty is warming up in the bullpen.
Well, he’s .237 vs lefties but .245 against this guy in his career, .231 before Tommy John surgery.  The pitcher has added a screwball to his repertoire but struggles with control after about 20 pitches.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

15 teams in each league, they really don't have any choice.  There has to be an interleague series ongoing every single day.

I understand this 

it’s still uncommon for my team to be playing inter league game 1 

On 3/30/2023 at 10:56 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

My sincere apologies for even mentioning it 

I drive a golf ball between 250-270 yards. I bought my current driver for $300 in 2006. I hit it straight 13 out of 14 holes. 

A new driver in 2023 costs $800. My whole set of irons costs $800!

Accounting for inflation....that *****in thing better add 225 yards to my drive!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

I drive a golf ball between 250-270 yards. I bought my current driver for $300 in 2006. I hit it straight 13 out of 14 holes. 

Accounting for inflation....that *****in thing better add 225 yards to my drive!!!

It should. Every year equipment manufacturers claim they add 5-10 yards. 17 years worth of yardage.

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

12 minutes ago, French Collection said:

It should. Every year equipment manufacturers claim they add 5-10 yards. 17 years worth of yardage.

USGA and St. Andrews are about to revise guidelines for all of it, so beware spending money right now.

(And I don't even follow golf--just news.)

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

USGA and St. Andrews are about to revise guidelines for all of it, so beware spending money right now.

(And I don't even follow golf--just news.)

Oh, I'm not buying anything. I was just curious because I get Ping product release emails. I play between 3 and 7 times a year. The driver matters very little to my game.

• Like (+1) 1

I was saw part of a baseball game. I love the pitch clock and pitching change/mound visit modifications. The game moves along just like if you were playing it as a kid.

The question I haven't seen answered yet is this: If a K forward is a swinging strikeout and the backward ꓘ is for the strikeout looking, what is the strikeout symbol for "didn't get into the batter's box in time"?

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I was saw part of a baseball game. I love the pitch clock and pitching change/mound visit modifications. The game moves along just like if you were playing it as a kid.

The question I haven't seen answered yet is this: If a K forward is a swinging strikeout and the backward ꓘ is for the strikeout looking, what is the strikeout symbol for "didn't get into the batter's box in time"?

It's a backwards k in my book. Get in the *****in box and let's go!

I played ball til I was 20 years old. I don't think I stepped out of the box once after I turned 11.

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ubkev said:

It's a backwards k in my book. Get in the *****in box and let's go!

I played ball til I was 20 years old. I don't think I stepped out of the box once after I turned 11.

I blame my parents the Red Sox and Yankees. Not only was every game nationally televised, they had to one-ups-manship each other for delaying each other's pitchers and then changing pitchers and the broadcasters (and advertisers) ate it up, and everyone saw it because it was the only game on. The drama wasn't because of the delays. The drama was because it was 2 good teams playing against each other.

And I had my pre-AB routine same as anyone (gotta make sure you can cover the outside of the plate, afterall) but yes, once you're in... there's no reason to leave unless you need a quick swing because it's spring baseball and its 40F degrees and windy.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, it's NBA playoff time. The Knicks are out to a 1-0 series lead on the Cavs and Scott Foster is the crew chief for the refs in the Lakers game. I wonder what the NBA has planned for that one. 

Edit: the Lakers will take more free throws in the first round than the rest of the league takes all post season.

Edited by ubkev