The other sports thread

Eleven

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Jays are currently pacing for 93 wins and sit... *4th* in the AL East. Just a stupid division, every year 

It is still early, I think the division will 'shake out' a bit and if Toronto keeps playing well they will be fine.

On a seperate note....The Blue Jays have always been the team I wanted to follow, but for years and years, we got the Mets, Cubs, Braves, Yankees on our local cable package but you could not get the Blue Jay games.  Eventuall I just stopped caring about those other teams and not being able to watch the Blue Jays games.....well...over time that is pretty much the reason I stopped following baseball. 

We live in Northern Niagara county....when you drive down the hill toward the village of Lewiston you can actually SEE the dome in Toronto across the lake with your own eyes. For years we have been the farm club of that team...yet for years we couldn't get the games on a local cable package yet we could see 4 other teams that are located hundred of miles away. stupid.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's cool to see people enjoy various sports. I'm still primarily hockey and football. 

I do not follow baseball or basketball (outside of March madness). No soccer. Just the majors for Golf. NASCAR is beyond boring to me.

Yet I'm older and when in my youth, I went to drag racing (Niagara Dragstrip) and still follow it. Top Fuel and Funny Car are 330+ mph rockets. It's amazing to me in person and even on TV. 

I do like lacrosse. Bandits games are great and I like the college outdoor games. When I was stationed in Maryland 40 years back in the military, I saw Maryland play some games in front of big crowds against Johns Hopkins, Syracuse etc. There were zero programs for that in WNY at that time. 

Edited by Night Train

6 hours ago, Night Train said:

It's cool to see people enjoy various sports. I'm still primarily hockey and football. 

I do not follow baseball or basketball (outside of March madness). No soccer. Just the majors for Golf. NASCAR is beyond boring to me.

Yet I'm older and when in my youth, I went to drag racing (Niagara Dragstrip) and still follow it. Top Fuel and Funny Car are 330+ mph rockets. It's amazing to me in person and even on TV. 

I do like lacrosse. Bandits games are great and I like the college outdoor games. When I was stationed in Maryland 40 years back in the military, I saw Maryland play some games in front of big crowds against Johns Hopkins, Syracuse etc. There were zero programs for that in WNY at that time. 

Where is/was the niagara dragstrip located?

My sporting interests are close to yours.  I will watch Nascar but only the road courses. I haven't watched a full baseball or basketball game in years even though I liked them growing up.  I guess I'm a Blue Jays fan but I hardly have seen them pay so oh well.

Football/NFL/The Bills is the one thing changing for me.  I was the 'never miss a game for any reason' person from the time I was a kid up until 5 years ago. Mostly the Bills, but the entire NFL. Something is going on though, where my interest in football/the NFL and even the Bills is fading quickly.

Jimmy Butler, you magnificent bastard! Heat win. Bucks go home! 

Knicks vs Heat in round 2. 

Rest up for Sunday, boys. And if Jimmy Butler could forget how to play basketball in the meantime, I'd appreciate it.

AL central. Could it be the worst division overall top to bottom in the last 15 years?

Minnesota is the only team over .500 and they are just 3 games over (Tampa is 15 over and a couple other teams are already 9 over). The bottom of the division has not only lost a lot but there have been some pretty big blowouts.

KC has played 13 games at HOME and lost 12 of the 13. That is really hard to do.

I guess one team is likely to step up, but could a team win this division being .500 or less for the entire season?

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

AL central. Could it be the worst division overall top to bottom in the last 15 years?

Minnesota is the only team over .500 and they are just 3 games over (Tampa is 15 over and a couple other teams are already 9 over). The bottom of the division has not only lost a lot but there have been some pretty big blowouts.

KC has played 13 games at HOME and lost 12 of the 13. That is really hard to do.

I guess one team is likely to step up, but could a team win this division being .500 or less for the entire season?

I wouldn't worry about the Twinkies. They've been hampered by a bunch of lineup injuries to start the season, but Polanco just came back and Kiriloff is ripping up AAA in his rehab assignment (just waiting to ensure he can play back-to-backs), coupled with notorious slow-starter Correa and Miranda probably trying too hard. The lineup will come around.

Pitching wise, they've basically given away 4 games with Maeda's starts. They're trying to give him the veteran's "he's earned it" route of rehab in the majors from his Tommy John, but he's gotten shelled and 3 times and left the other game with fatigue. Look for him to go to IL and Ober to rejoin the rotation soon (possibly permanently, which stinks for Maeda).

They'll be an 88-96 win team when all is said and done, anywhere from coasting Division winner to dangerous wildcard on account of their top-2 pitchers.

I think we have occasionally debated whether the national anthem(s) should be played before professional sports games … in North America.

The fact that English soccer Twitter - specifically Liverpool FC Twitter - is having an absolute meltdown over their home stadiums’ decision to play the English (British?) national anthem before this weekend’s matches - in honour of the coronation - is really something. 

This follows chants of “You can stick your coronation up your arse” at certain British stadiums - notably Celtic FC in Scotland. Life in the UK is sorta wild.

Edited by That Aud Smell

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m guessing it is as much about an unelected king tather than a debate on nationalism and military PR like it predominately is here.

Oh it’s absolutely about antipathy for the monarchy.

It’s just interesting to see how playing their anthem is causing a controversy.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think the only place in the world where playing the anthem wouldn’t get negative attention is on this side of the pond.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think the only place in the world where playing the anthem wouldn’t get negative attention is on this side of the pond.

How do they respond to it during the olympics?

It's the wrong thread for it, but while I don't give two shits about the royals, I am slightly intrigued by the history of that occasion since pretty much no one alive has ever seen one.

25 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's the wrong thread for it, but while I don't give two shits about the royals, I am slightly intrigued by the history of that occasion since pretty much no one alive has ever seen one.

Olympics is a whole different animal.   Nationalistic sports.

Good question re: historical stuff.

57 minutes ago, shrader said:

Shits isn't filtered? Nice.

I understand the curiosity about taking a peek at some ancient rituals. The TikTok app has made me aware of all kinds of super weird ass customs that exist in continental Europe. Like these guys (there's no connection here to the U.S. hate group that uses the white pointed hoods, by the way):

22 hours ago, shrader said:

They do it by being British and not winning gold medals. 🙂

On 5/5/2023 at 7:37 AM, That Aud Smell said:

It is interesting--and I think it's especially British.  I don't see people (either pro-or anti) in other European monarchies (and there are a lot of them) going nuts like this over a coronation 

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

My Battalion over here are up 3-2 in the OHL semifinals vs Peterborough.

Quebec Remparts are a wagon in the Q, 12-0 in the playoffs.

Patrick is probably the best coach in the Q ever.  He has QC at the top of their game.  In the Q the top 4 made the semi-finals.  Huge game in Halifax this afternoon.  The home team has lost every game in this series up to this point.  Sherbrook is a great team with an great coach.

The Mooseheads did not get the same following this year as in 2013.  They started slow, but had the second best season in team history (points wise).  The Mooseheads are an offensive machine .. even better than in 2013 and their goalie is a keeper.  They match up well against Quebec if they make the final.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Patrick is probably the best coach in the Q ever.  He has QC at the top of their game.  In the Q the top 4 made the semi-finals.  Huge game in Halifax this afternoon.  The home team has lost every game in this series up to this point.  Sherbrook is a great team with an great coach.

The Mooseheads did not get the same following this year as in 2013.  They started slow, but had the second best season in team history (points wise).  The Mooseheads are an offensive machine .. even better than in 2013 and their goalie is a keeper.  They match up well against Quebec if they make the final.

Maybe we will meet them in the Memorial Cup, it’s getting closer.

• Like (+1) 1