The other sports thread

Eleven

On 10/1/2023 at 9:17 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

Tim Wakefield passed away today. For Red Sox fans, he represented resilience and kindness. I will remember him very fondly. 

Funny story…Tim Wakefield is a nobody with the Bisons.  I am at one of the first games he pitches in. A few beers in, I don’t realize he is a knuckler, and I yell out…THIS GUY SUCKS!  😂

Sorry Tim.  I was wrong. Very wrong.  

RIP. 😞

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The Tampa Rays and their fans dressed as empty seats go down without a whimper.   I know the stadium needs to be in Tampa and not St Pete, but that is embarrassing. 

You probably know, but the Rays have a deal with St. Pete to build a new stadium. 
https://www.fox13news.com/news/rays-announce-plans-for-new-1-2-billion-stadium-for-st-petersburg.amp

41 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

You probably know, but the Rays have a deal with St. Pete to build a new stadium. 
https://www.fox13news.com/news/rays-announce-plans-for-new-1-2-billion-stadium-for-st-petersburg.amp

I haven’t been following close. I thought the new stadium was going to be in Ybor City?

13 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The Tampa Rays and their fans dressed as empty seats go down without a whimper.   I know the stadium needs to be in Tampa and not St Pete, but that is embarrassing. 

To be honest, I thought once the Rangers blew the division, they were toast.  Very pleased they dispatched the Rays so readily.

22 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I haven’t been following close. I thought the new stadium was going to be in Ybor City?

That would have been perfect.
But Hillsborough County did not have any interest in the infrastructure cost or build cost to make it work.  The county and city of Tampa basically said, “we’re happy to have you, but we aren’t paying for it.”

So they landed back in St Pete with an eye on developing the site to be more than just the ballpark.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

That would have been perfect.
But Hillsborough County did not have any interest in the infrastructure cost or build cost to make it work.  The county and city of Tampa basically said, “we’re happy to have you, but we aren’t paying for it.”

So they landed back in St Pete with an eye on developing the site to be more than just the ballpark.  

And they will continue to draw 13 fans every game until the Yankees and Red Sox show up and the Northeast transplants come out of the wood work. 

It's baffling to me that all of Florida doesn't give a flying ***** about baseball. The Marlins have won 2 rings, with Cubans on the team, Miami still doesn't care. The Rays have been good-ish for several years, can't get a 1/4 capacity crowd for the postseason. 

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

When a play like this is made by a 21-year-old who earned his first MLB callup with less than a month to go in the season, thoughts of "team of destiny" start to creep into my brain.

I'm still in shock.

They got in by the skin of their teeth, looking done. Now they are 6-0 in the post season, with 5 of those wins on the road.  Still taking it a game at a time, especially against Houston who normally kills the Rangers. Still, their best season in 12 years. Will be watching game 2 today. 

• Like (+1) 1

Evan Carter has been amazing.  Barely 21, called up the last month, and playing like an all-star.  OPS of 1.058 in the regular season, 1.338 in the playoffs so far.  I think you could argue many, if not most, MLB outfielders don't make that play against the wall in a ballpark with a wall that jogs like that.  He also opened the scoring by stretching a ball deflected by an infielder into a double, then scoring on a single from second base.

Always look forward to awesome competitive October baseball. 

This has NOT been that. Combined records of series winners / teams leading series if Texas holds on today:

22-2

that is INSANE. boring. Series scores: 

2-0

2-0

2-0

2-0

3-0

3-0

3-1

3-1

2-0*

Yikes

*pending today’s Houston /Texas result 

4 years ago Brian Cashman said that Bryce Harper wasn't a fit for the Yankees because they had Aaron Hicks, Jacoby Ellsbury, Brett Gardner and Clint Frazier. He also said it wasn't realistic to play Bryce Harper at first base. 

The Yankees signed Cashman to an extension in December. The Yankees failed to make the postseason. The Yankees have a payroll larger than the US National Debt. 

Bryce Harper is good at baseball. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ubkev said:

4 years ago Brian Cashman said that Bryce Harper wasn't a fit for the Yankees because they had Aaron Hicks, Jacoby Ellsbury, Brett Gardner and Clint Frazier. He also said it wasn't realistic to play Bryce Harper at first base. 

The Yankees signed Cashman to an extension in December. The Yankees failed to make the postseason. The Yankees have a payroll larger than the US National Debt. 

Bryce Harper is good at baseball. 

And where you have been, mister?