The other sports thread

Eleven

3 hours ago, Night Train said:

The intial thought of 4 teams years back was always retarded and hastily agrred to. You had 5 major conferences, meaning one major conference champ and all the other so-called lesser conferences couldn't play. It should have been made 8 teams back then. Dumb.

12 teams next year and if it was this year, Liberty would have gotten in. 

What ruins the bowl games now is non-playoff teams show up for their bowl games missing so many starters and reserves, due to the draft and transfer portal possibilities (NIL $) . The portal/NIL has been a major failure with a lack of rules. Should be a limit on how often they can transfer and waste scholarships. Many have entered the portal 3-4 times. Nonsense. 

And then there’s the teams showing up to their bowl games without a head coach. Is it really so bad to let your new hire play out that last game?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

And then there’s the teams showing up to their bowl games without a head coach. Is it really so bad to let your new hire play out that last game?

I know, tradition, tradition...but...

Get rid of conference championships to reduce the number of games, just go to a 16 team tournament.  The main argument I have heard is that that would lead to too many games played.  If you play in a conference championship game, you are playing in 3 if you make the title game.  16 team tournament means just TWO teams would play 4 games.

If you absolutely have to, integrate the conference championship games into the round of 16 somehow.  

8 team playoff is needed now. 16 would be better.  Open up the playoff tree to more teams and maybe teams will be less afraid of 1 or 2 losses and we can get rid of most of the  Alabama vs Mississippi-Community-College type games for much of the season because they wont' be afraid to schedule tougher games.

Joel Sherman just broke the news, Juan Soto to the Yankees. For a ton of pitchers including Michael King. Kyle Higashioka also heading to San Diego. 

Good that they got this done before Ohtani signs. More bidders is generally a bad thing for the team that you cheer for.

22 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Apparently he is in Toronto.  Private reservations have apparently been made at a swank Susi joint very near Roger's Centre.

No completely reliable source saying much, but this seems to be a thing.

Aged like milk.

Wow. Thanks Jon Morosi. Thanks MLB for officially retweeting it. Thanks Sportsnet reporters for gaslighting the fans by saying they got “worked” by social media when their own often-on-their-network reporter (Morosi), who’s supposed to be legit, broke that news.

I hate sports in 2023.

Time for an indefinite break. Just don’t want to do it anymore.

“Go team.”

You guys around here have fun. Try to keep your head up. You’re the only part of sports worth knowing. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Wow. Thanks Jon Morosi. Thanks MLB for officially retweeting it. Thanks Sportsnet reporters for gaslighting the fans by saying they got “worked” by social media when their own often-on-their-network reporter (Morosi), who’s supposed to be legit, broke that news.

I hate sports in 2023.

Time for an indefinite break. Just don’t want to do it anymore.

“Go team.”

You guys around here have fun. Try to keep your head up. You’re the only part of sports worth knowing. 

I believe the Jays were used by this guy to up the offer from the Dodgers.  I don't think he ever thought about joining the Jays.

I'm with you on sports being terrible.  Enjoy your break.  Maybe we will see you around from time to time.

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...