The other sports thread

Eleven

The Cricket World Cup is happening.  They just seem to be killing each other, but no one seems to be eliminated yet, but I am not sure.

I have tried, but this game is hard to figure out and follow.  Those that know it love it and the fans are rabid.

I know that somewhere @Eleven is paying very close attention.  I hope he returns soon.

Anyone else following this?  Anyone understand the scoring (I can understand the objective and the play, but the scoring is a big mystery)?

Jessie is in the finals of the season ending WTA.
It’s the tennis version of the playoffs.  Only the top ranked eight players get invited. Then round robin down to four to set up a semifinals. Pegula throttled Coco in the semis.  Over 2MM to the winner 🤑

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/05/sport/coco-gauff-jessica-pegula-wta-finals-spt-intl/index.html

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Jessie is in the finals of the season ending WTA.
It’s the tennis version of the playoffs.  Only the top ranked eight players get invited. Then round robin down to four to set up a semifinals. Pegula throttled Coco in the semis.  Over 2MM to the winner 🤑

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/05/sport/coco-gauff-jessica-pegula-wta-finals-spt-intl/index.html

If she wins we need to lobby her to loan the winnings to her father so he can front KA the $ to trade for a good goaler.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/4/2023 at 11:13 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The Cricket World Cup is happening.  They just seem to be killing each other, but no one seems to be eliminated yet, but I am not sure.

I have tried, but this game is hard to figure out and follow.  Those that know it love it and the fans are rabid.

I know that somewhere @Eleven is paying very close attention.  I hope he returns soon.

Anyone else following this?  Anyone understand the scoring (I can understand the objective and the play, but the scoring is a big mystery)?

I have someone working on my back at the Buffalo VA hospital who just moved here from Seattle and played professionally. Born in Sri Lanka.  Very nice young athletic guy who is trying to find a local club. 

Talks about it with passion... while he kicks the ***** out of me. 

Your Halifax Mooseheads are ranked #1 in the CHL this week.

https://chl.ca/video/2023-24-chl-top-10-rankings-week-5/

I will put on my fedora and shades and scout then relentlessly.

Be sure to watch for my traditional ramblings on who the Sabres should select with the 32nd pick this coming June.

😎

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Your Halifax Mooseheads are ranked #1 in the CHL this week.

https://chl.ca/video/2023-24-chl-top-10-rankings-week-5/

I will put on my fedora and shades and scout then relentlessly.

Be sure to watch for my traditional ramblings on who the Sabres should select with the 32nd pick this coming June.

😎

I have a good initial candidate - Halifax's own Owen Philips - RD - a good pick at #32 overall.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a live look at the tickets available for the Rochester Knighthawks home opener in less than four hours. 

While lax has a history here and had more support than larger cities at a time…it is no longer the case. 

I can’t imagine Pegula would continue to own this, even as a goodwill gesture to Rochester and WNY.  

IMG_3065.png

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This is a live look at the tickets available for the Rochester Knighthawks home opener in less than four hours. 

While lax has a history here and had more support than larger cities at a time…it is no longer the case. 

I can’t imagine Pegula would continue to own this, even as a goodwill gesture to Rochester and WNY.  

IMG_3065.png

I love the Bandits games but havne't been to one in a couple of years.

What has attendence been like at the Bandits games in the last couple years?

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I haven’t been to a Bandits game in Buff since before the pandemic, but I know they sold out a couple of playoff games last year on their championship run. 

17 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

IMG_3065.png

A lot of people I know don't want to venture into the city any more.  I think that plays into it quite a bit. The city has no identity and seems to be getting more and more crime-ridden.

I dislike going into the city. I might do it once or twice to go to an Amerks game, but even then it's drive in and drive out.

28 minutes ago, LTS said:

A lot of people I know don't want to venture into the city any more.  I think that plays into it quite a bit. The city has no identity and seems to be getting more and more crime-ridden.

I dislike going into the city. I might do it once or twice to go to an Amerks game, but even then it's drive in and drive out.

Well I live in the city and I could not disagree with you more.  

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Okay. But that doesn't change why people don't want to go to the BCA.

It doesn’t change why YOU don’t want to go to the BCA. Amerks attendance is fine.  Adam Sandler and TOOL just sold out the BCA last month. 

You’re scared for your own reasons and you’re acting like most people are like you.  There are mote folks who are not. 

31 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

It doesn’t change why YOU don’t want to go to the BCA. Amerks attendance is fine.  Adam Sandler and TOOL just sold out the BCA last month. 

You’re scared for your own reasons and you’re acting like most people are like you.  There are mote folks who are not. 

No, I am not scared. I said, a lot of people I know won't go, that's not debatable unless you know the people I know.  I did not make a mass sweeping statement that "People don't want to go to Rochester." So please do not misquote me.

Crime rates, especially homicide had been increasing and peaked in 2021. They have declined in the past two years but it has an impact. Meanwhile, car theft has skyrocketed, especially this year. it doesn't paint a great picture of the city.

The problem with Rochester is that it's not built for people to visit. Parking is a pain in the ass. Everything is spread out. The East End used to be a coo place but it's seriously taken a step down. The Browns Race area used to be good, but nothing could stick. Park Ave?  All the people who live in the neighborhood park on the street effectively keeping visitors from being able to easily access it.

Going to the BCA constitutes driving in, parking in the Civic Center parking garage which then takes forever to get out of. There's little to do around the BCA. What, Dinosaur? It's a closet of a location unfortunately.

The crime doesn't help, but it doesn't keep me from going. I do go into NOTA often enough. There are some redeeming spots in South Wedge, but not as much as it used to be.

It's cool that you live there and like it, but you are the one who brought up the shoddy attendance of the Knighthawks. The Amerks don't draw much better. I'm merely providing one view point as to why.  You can debate against it, but bottom line is that people don't attend those games like they used to. Perhaps my reason isn't the only reason, but among the people I know, it very much is a reason.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:26 PM, #freejame said:

Glad to see Georgia lose, even better that it’s in Atlanta. Hopefully Bama (and probably Georgia) both lose heartbreakers in the playoffs. ***** the SEC. 

The college football playoff is a joke.  There is no way that I would have put in the Tide at 4.  FSU got screwed royally.  Just shows the influence and power of Saban and AU.

My fear is the Tide will find a way to win this thing - they always seem to find a way.  Hopefully Michigan will smash them right in the face and not look back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The college football playoff is a joke.  There is no way that I would have put in the Tide at 4.  FSU got screwed royally.  Just shows the influence and power of Saban and AU.

My fear is the Tide will find a way to win this thing - they always seem to find a way.  Hopefully Michigan will smash them right in the face and not look back.

I agree.

Yes they lost their quarterback, and yes there is a likely chance that the replacement quarterback is not as good. But... They have done everything on the field that they needed to. No way a one loss team should be in over an undefeated major conference conference championship team.

I understand the other side of things, there can be an opinion that Alabama might be a better team. But then again they might not be. And the tiebreaker would be they have that loss... And by the way a lot of wins that are not of high quality.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:14 PM, mjd1001 said:

Really good attendance the Buffalo Bandits are the best ticket in town for the price have been a season ticket holder since day one. The Buffalo Sabres are an embarrassment take a look at the Buffalo Bandits corner with our championship banners a fifth banner is going up. That is how Buffalo Bandits lacrosse is going. If it was between saving the Buffalo Bandits or Buffalo Sabres good bye Sabres. I have been a Buffalo Bandits fan from day one in 1992 when they came to Buffalo and a Buffalo Sabres fan for 49 years and counting. I don’t care how much money the Buffalo Sabres bring in win hockey games or get out of town and start over with a new Buffalo hockey or basketball franchise for Buffalo. I am good with bringing the Buffalo Blizzard and Buffalo Destroyers back who I was also a season ticket holder for to replace the Buffalo Sabres if this is the crap product we are going to get forever from Terry Pegula. The Buffalo Sabres are an embarrassment and a rip off for the money for the Sabres tickets. The Buffalo Bandits play there hearts out for $35,000 I think is the top salary for a NLL franchise player. The Buffalo Bandits have real job when they aren’t playing lacrosse and live in the real world. The Buffalo Sabres could learn something from the Buffalo Bandits players in my opinion. Go Bandits! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The intial thought of 4 teams years back was always retarded and hastily agrred to. You had 5 major conferences, meaning one major conference champ and all the other so-called lesser conferences couldn't play. It should have been made 8 teams back then. Dumb.

12 teams next year and if it was this year, Liberty would have gotten in. 

What ruins the bowl games now is non-playoff teams show up for their bowl games missing so many starters and reserves, due to the draft and transfer portal possibilities (NIL $) . The portal/NIL has been a major failure with a lack of rules. Should be a limit on how often they can transfer and waste scholarships. Many have entered the portal 3-4 times. Nonsense. 

On 12/3/2023 at 9:32 AM, LTS said:

That isn’t the problem. The problem is Rochester was never the sports town that Buffalo is. Rochester problem is no city pride. The Rochester area runs to Buffalo for professional sports and Syracuse for college sports. There is nothing wrong with that I am just saying. Where I support Buffalo teams professional and college. I wouldn’t go to a Syracuse Orange game in anything even if one was to pay me to go. That is the difference along with the Blue Cross Arena is outdated and Rochester should have built a new arena in the late 1990’s like Hershey Bears instead of renovating the Blue Cross Arena and building a soccer stadium which has been a disaster.

Rochester has always struggled supporting the Rochester Knighthawks the old owner Curt Styres did everything to get fans to go with a good team. Terry Pegula is a terrible owner Rochester was better off with Curt Styres who moved to Halifax. Terry Pegula is a fool he is losing his shirt in Rochester plus he has conflict of interests owning the Buffalo Bandits and Rochester Knighthawks. Think about it who is Terry Pegula going to take care of the Buffalo Bandits who are profitable or the Rochester Knighthawks that are losing money? Best case for Rochester fans Rochester needs to have the Rochester Red Wings buy the Rochester Americans promoting community owned year long fun co market the teams sharing expenses like they do in Toledo with the Toledo Mud Hens baseball team and Toledo Walleye hockey team. Fold the Rochester Knighthawks getting Terry Pegula completely out of Rochester sports. Then put a AHL expansion franchise in Buffalo suburbs in a new mini arena practice facility like the Vegas Golden Knights for the Sabres AHL affiliate when the NHL expands to Houston and Atlanta. Rochester can potentially be the new Atlanta or Houston NHL expansion teams affiliate. Terry Pegula can’t even handle Buffalo teams much less Rochester teams. Rochester needs to move on from Terry Pegula we in Buffalo are stuck with him Rochester isn’t move on from the Buffalo Sabres if I was Rochester Americans in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo