The other sports thread

Eleven

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

I never watch soccer. I checked out the last 15 or so minutes of USA/Iran. Is diving really this blatant? Does soccer have diving penalties? I'm completely ignorant here.

The diving is usually worse than what you saw.  The US almost gave me a heart attack numerous times at the end, but well played overall.  The Pulisic injury could be devastating against the Dutch.

17 hours ago, JujuFish said:

I never watch soccer. I checked out the last 15 or so minutes of USA/Iran. Is diving really this blatant? Does soccer have diving penalties? I'm completely ignorant here.

Yes. 

And, yes.

If you want to learn a bit more about the sport we have a Football / Soccer Club over in the club section.  I am not only a member of that club, but the president (or whatever it's called).

You are also welcome over in the club @Dreams Burn Down.

18 minutes ago, GoPre said:

We suck (soccer) 

A win or successful World Cup for the US is making it to the Round of 16.  

We have controlled overall possession, but The Netherlands are so patient and methodical.  Almost every error by the US was converted into an odd-man rush in transition.  That second goal is a true back-breaker.  We're really going to see what this young team is made of in the second half.  Is Reyna going to finally see the field?  We need to try something before we are down three or four goals.

Edited by Dreams Burn Down

18 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

We have controlled overall possession, but The Netherlands are so patient and methodical.  Almost every error by the US was converted into and odd-man rush in transition.  That second goal is  a true back-breaker.  We're really going to see what this young team is made of in the second half.  Is Reyna going to finally see the field?  We need to try something before we are down three or four goals.

I was talking more about USA soccer as a whole, not really this game.  US has only made the round of 16 a handful of times.  Our country has improved a lot, and I’m sure not considered a complete cake walk anymore, but it’s still not at a contending level.  

Edited by GoPre

1 hour ago, GoPre said:

I was talking more about USA soccer as a whole, not really this game.  US has only made the round of 16 a handful of times.  Our country has improved a lot, and I’m sure not considered a complete cake walk anymore, but it’s still not at a contending level.  

You are correct.  Not against an opponent like this and in this atmosphere.  We had looks and simply did not finish.  I like where we are headed, though, with this current squad.  I like that a team this young got a taste of the knockout stage at a WC.  We need scoring and it's our main detriment right now.  Three goals in four games is not going to cut it.

Then again, alluding to your original point, I thought the USMNT was on its way after getting to the quarterfinal in 2002 and that, obviously, never happened.

Edited by Dreams Burn Down

There is a football / soccer Club over in the Clubs section.  

You can find it from the main page and once in the Clubs section it's easy to find.

Anyone can join the club and post anything they want in there.  There are several threads to discuss all manner of football / soccer thems, including one for this WC.

The Clubs are designed to draw specific discussions away from the main board that will get significant traffic and posts.

This thread was setup as a catch all long before the Clubs were setup.

I invite everyone that as something to say about football / soccer to post it in that Club.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, shrader said:

Why don’t the blocks at the net count as one of the three times you can hit the ball?

Dem's de rulez

NCAA Women's Volleyball Rules:

RULE 14
Playing the Ball
14.1 Contacting the Ball
14.1.1 Maximum of Three Team Hits
Each team is allowed a maximum of three successive hits of the ball (in addition
to blocking)
in order to return the ball to the opponent

6 hours ago, shrader said:

Speaking of volleyball, was anyone else the crazy fool who would dive for the volleyball in high school gym class?

Me.  I dove for digs in volleyball, blocked shots in hockey, dove for fly balls in baseball, etc.