The other sports thread

Eleven

On 12/3/2022 at 12:47 AM, Doohickie said:

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME

Hawkeye?  I think I'm in love.

8 hours ago, shrader said:

Speaking of volleyball, was anyone else the crazy fool who would dive for the volleyball in high school gym class?

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Me.  I dove for digs in volleyball, blocked shots in hockey, dove for fly balls in baseball, etc.

Me too, and in beer league volleyball as well.  I'm not tall, so I had to make myself useful in other ways.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, shrader said:

Speaking of volleyball, was anyone else the crazy fool who would dive for the volleyball in high school gym class?

Yup.. but not for long because my gym teacher was my varsity volleyball coach and I was soon moved to a different sport during the volleyball segments of gym class because I was endangering others... 🙂  I also played club level through college.

15 hours ago, Marvin said:

Me.  I dove for digs in volleyball, blocked shots in hockey, dove for fly balls in baseball, etc.

Likewise.. and my nearly 50 year old body now tells me to stop blocking shots in men's league but it's a subconscious reaction. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, LTS said:

Likewise.. and my nearly 50 year old body now tells me to stop blocking shots in men's league but it's a subconscious reaction. 

If I ever get back into the beer leagues I’ll be in that same boat. It’s been about 8 years now and I can’t imagine more slap shots to the pad less chest and arms will feel very good with those added years. 

23 hours ago, shrader said:

We played lacrosse most days in highschool. Or we'd swim/dive. 

But yes, hitting was out of control. But gym was 9th period for a reason.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

If I ever get back into the beer leagues I’ll be in that same boat. It’s been about 8 years now and I can’t imagine more slap shots to the pad less chest and arms will feel very good with those added years. 

No way in hell I would forego pads.. nope.. not with some of the wackjobs that play.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Is it because they believe their fans are dumb and will watch anything?

If that ISN'T the answer, no clue.

They should base the draft order off of the mid-season standings when the draft actually occurs, just to see if anyone would notice.  I realize they have to hold it when they do, but the timing of that draft has always felt so crazy to me.

23 hours ago, Eleven said:

Baseball has a draft lottery now?  Why?

Oh, it gets better. Saw multiple Twitter conspiracies on how they were going to rig it! 

Rig the baseball lottery? Baseball! The sport where only three(3) number 1 overall picks are in the Hall of Fame. (Griffey Jr. in '16, Chipper in '18 and Harold Baines in ’19) The sport where if you don't like your draft slot, you don't have to sign and can enter the draft up to 4 more times. The sport where you can't trade draft picks! The sport where the draft matters the absolute least of any sport ever...

...so, it's probably rigged.

Edited by ubkev
  • Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

I HATE HATE, that the championship can be decided on penalty kicks. Add 15 minutes each go, and play until someone scores. That was a crap ending to an otherwise great game (and I don't really like soccer) 

Good for Messi, now go away. 

I think France would have won, but it's hard to say, that's why I'm so sad that it has to end like this. 

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I HATE HATE, that the championship can be decided on penalty kicks. Add 15 minutes each go, and play until someone scores. That was a crap ending to an otherwise great game (and I don't really like soccer) 

I think France would have won, but it's hard to say, that's why I'm so sad that it has to end like this. 

Argentina was the first to score in overtime and would have won.

I agree that spot kicks are the worst way to determine a winner.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Argentina was the first to score in overtime and would have won.

I agree that spot kicks are the worst way to determine a winner.

At least the extra 30 minutes have set rules, there are 2 periods of 15 minutes, and it's a free for all. I'm ok with keeping that. After that, then sudden death. 

I'm also OK with making it Sudden death after 90, anything to get rid of terrible spot kicks. 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The game could still be ongoing next Friday if they went to sudden death.