The other sports thread

Eleven

9 hours ago, JujuFish said:

If it makes you feel better, Judge himself says the real record is 73.

I'll be over here enjoying history being made, even if it is a Yankee.

So, the only 3 AL players to reach 60 are all Yanks?

Out of curiosity, what is the AL record for HRs for players that don't play their home games at Yankee Stadium?

(Yeah, could Google it, but figure somebody that follows baseball will already know it.) 

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Out of curiosity, what is the AL record for HRs for players that don't play their home games at Yankee Stadium?

(Yeah, could Google it, but figure somebody that follows baseball will already know it.) 

Jimmie Foxx hit 58 for Boston in 1932, Hank Greenberg hit 58 for Detroit in 1938, and McGwire hit 34 of his 58 home runs in 1997 for Oakland.

Side note: Giancarlo Stanton hit 59 for the Marlins in 2017. That offseason, Derek Jeter (who had just become part owner of the Marlins) traded him to, of course, the Yankees.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Jimmie Foxx hit 58 for Boston in 1932, Hank Greenberg hit 58 for Detroit in 1938, and McGwire hit 34 of his 58 home runs in 1997 for Oakland.

Side note: Giancarlo Stanton hit 59 for the Marlins in 2017. That offseason, Derek Jeter (who had just become part owner of the Marlins) traded him to, of course, the Yankees.

Knew somebody here already knew this stuff.

🍺

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Not only were all 3 men Yankees. They were all Yankees right fielders.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Woo, Cleveland takes game one 2-1! Granted, Tampa was the best possible team they could have faced in the wild card, but they've exceeded my expectations this season.

Youngest team in baseball, 3rd smallest payroll, second fewest home runs in the entire league, supposed to be a rebuilding year, yet here they are with two chances to move onto the ALDS against the Yankees.

1 hour ago, JujuFish said:

Woo, Cleveland takes game one 2-1! Granted, Tampa was the best possible team they could have faced in the wild card, but they've exceeded my expectations this season.

Youngest team in baseball, 3rd smallest payroll, second fewest home runs in the entire league, supposed to be a rebuilding year, yet here they are with two chances to move onto the ALDS against the Yankees.

They really turned it on to end the season. 

Another in the long line of examples of teams who take that step forward a little earlier than expected, when rebuilding 

F all Philly teams…

I hope this weekend that the Phillies lose 10-0 to the Braves in games 3 & 4, the Cowboys beat the Eagles 35-0, and the Canucks beat the Flyers 5-0.  Not only beatdowns, but 4 goose eggs, all at home. 

(the bitterness of 1975 is still strong😂)

I would include the 76ers, but lost interest in the NBA 10-15 years ago.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

F all Philly teams…

I hope this weekend that the Phillies lose 10-0 to the Braves in games 3 & 4, the Cowboys beat the Eagles 35-0, and the Canucks beat the Flyers 5-0.  Not only beatdowns, but 4 goose eggs, all at home. 

(the bitterness of 1975 is still strong😂)

I would include the 76ers, but lost interest in the NBA 10-15 years ago.  

…and as soon as I post this, the Phillies go up 4-0 in a blink of an eye.  😡

1 hour ago, JujuFish said:

5 singles in the bottom of the 9th to score 3 and win, Cleveland up 2 games to 1. Go Guards!

It's over tomorrow. Boone is the worst manager in the post-season. He's got his team openly questioning his ***** bullpen usage in the post game interviews. He should have been fired so many times. The Yankees will be stuck with him for eternity. 

Cole was brilliant in game one save for 1 pitch. He'll give up 2 bombs tomorrow to a team that hit about 17 home runs this season. Cleveland wins 4-1. Yankees never threaten. Book it.

21 hours ago, ubkev said:

It's over tomorrow. Boone is the worst manager in the post-season. He's got his team openly questioning his ***** bullpen usage in the post game interviews. He should have been fired so many times. The Yankees will be stuck with him for eternity. 

Cole was brilliant in game one save for 1 pitch. He'll give up 2 bombs tomorrow to a team that hit about 17 home runs this season. Cleveland wins 4-1. Yankees never threaten. Book it.

I wish you were right, but alas, game 5 is on.

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

I wish you were right, but alas, game 5 is on.

And I can't even complain about Boone tonight. Cole was great (he did give up that tater, though.) Holmes pitched (imagine that) and Wandy had A+ stuff for 7 whole pitches.

I'm terrified for tomorrow though. The Yankees bats had better hang 12 on 'em if they want the Astros.

12 hours ago, ubkev said:

And I can't even complain about Boone tonight. Cole was great (he did give up that tater, though.) Holmes pitched (imagine that) and Wandy had A+ stuff for 7 whole pitches.

I'm terrified for tomorrow though. The Yankees bats had better hang 12 on 'em if they want the Astros.

Regardless of who takes game 5, I hope the winner sweeps the Astros.

Edited by JujuFish
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

FOX baseball coverage…why does the virtual strike zone box have to be so faint?  It is almost like they don’t want to make the umpires look bad.  👎🏻

Doubt Fox gives a rat's rear end whether the umps look good or bad.  However the organization that they're paying $B's to for the rights to broadcast the games MIGHT have a vested interest in making them seem better than they actually are.  😉

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

FOX baseball coverage…why does the virtual strike zone box have to be so faint?  It is almost like they don’t want to make the umpires look bad.  👎🏻

Not a fan of their broadcast 

Good one right now in San DiAHHgo