The other sports thread

Eleven

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Also, anyone see Puerto Rico use the shift against Panama this afternoon in the LLWS?

No. I refuse to watch little kids playing a sport. Used to have mild interest growing up but it’s the worst time of the year (LLWS and college World Series) for me.

Just now, WildCard said:

Why?

Because I don’t have any interest in either. Baseball was my first love but it’s dwindled in time. It’s has ups and downs but I hate when you can’t catch anything but LLWS or CWS on ESPN for several weeks.

Just now, Hoss said:

No. I refuse to watch little kids playing a sport. Used to have mild interest growing up but it’s the worst time of the year (LLWS and college World Series) for me.

I love the purity of it.  I love how they get to know each other from the hotels and concession stands and whatever else there is in Williamsport (there's not much; I've driven through it many times) and hug each other after the games because they're facebook friends now.  I love reading about their favorite foods or movies or games or books or whatever, and seeing a clip of the third baseman playing violin in his school orchestra in Michigan.  They are kids being kids at the best level.  Their families are behind them and clap for the losing team.  Their managers are true educators, not only with respect to baseball, but with respect to life.

Cynicism, well, I suspend that for the LLWS.

Just now, Hoss said:

Because I don’t have any interest in either. Baseball was my first love but it’s dwindled in time. It’s has ups and downs but I hate when you can’t catch anything but LLWS or CWS on ESPN for several weeks.

I was wondering more about the refusal to watch kids play a sport

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I was wondering more about the refusal to watch kids play a sport

I’m just not interested in it. I guess it’s not really that they’re little kids playing a sport. I don’t have a ton of time to watch sports so I reserve most of it for the teams I actively pull for.

I don't really want to watch it on tv, but seeing kids play the games in person is always fun.  It might even be more fun listening to some of the overly cutthroat parents in the stands.  I was at my nephew's game recently.  It was the first year for each kid out there, no one could hit the ball out of the infield, and no one could actually field the ball and throw it to first.  Yet somehow, there's still this one father in the stands who is yelling out stuff, praying that his kid wins.  It'll probably be trouble when the kid gets a little older, but at that moment, he (the father) was hilariously pathetic.

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

Yeah.. it's like March for me when the only thing anyone talks about is that pathetic sport called basketball or from December 20 - February 8th when it's nothing but football this and that.

August is for baseball.  It's how it is.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't really want to watch it on tv, but seeing kids play the games in person is always fun.  It might even be more fun listening to some of the overly cutthroat parents in the stands.  I was at my nephew's game recently.  It was the first year for each kid out there, no one could hit the ball out of the infield, and no one could actually field the ball and throw it to first.  Yet somehow, there's still this one father in the stands who is yelling out stuff, praying that his kid wins.  It'll probably be trouble when the kid gets a little older, but at that moment, he (the father) was hilariously pathetic.

I am thinking about recording parents this year at hockey games.  I might extend that into next baseball season.  The stuff I have heard come from people's mouths about kids is disgusting.

The I've heard parents say to their own kids about their teammates or opponents... disgusting.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

When my son played Little League I'd sit alone, behind the CF fence because I hated every single other parent. Just sit in my lawn chair with my sunflower seeds and keep score all by myself. 

Can't stand parents that don't know anything about the game(every single one of them) Can't stand parents that try to coach! And then they are always wrong. Every single time.

8 minutes ago, ubkev said:

When my son played Little League I'd sit alone, behind the CF fence because I hated every single other parent. Just sit in my lawn chair with my sunflower seeds and keep score all by myself. 

Can't stand parents that don't know anything about the game(every single one of them) Can't stand parents that try to coach! And then they are always wrong. Every single time.

It can be entertaining though, if you get the right person.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Yeah.. it's like March for me when the only thing anyone talks about is that pathetic sport called basketball or from December 20 - February 8th when it's nothing but football this and that.

August is for baseball.  It's how it is.

I don't think baseball holds up enough to own a month anymore. There's been wayyyy more coverage of preseason NFL and what LeBron's having for lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here interested in or watch Formula one?

I have been a casual F1 fan for a few years, getting slightly more interested in the past 2-3 years (but still not an expert)

I got up early today and watched the Italian Grand Prix.  Maybe Sebastian Vettal is the most talented driver in racing (maybe he is not) but he doesn't seem to be the BEST driver...it seems to me he often makes major mistakes on the track that are caused by his emotions or mood. 

This morning he was very short and almost rude with the Sky sports reporter, and I read yesterday on some internet articles he was upset with his teammate or upset with SOMEONE but it was hard to tell just what he was upset with.  So on the first lap of the race from the 2nd postion, he gets overly aggressive trying to pass the other Ferrari on the first lap, and ends up causing an accident that does more damage to himself than anyone else.

It seems he tends to win races when everything goes his way during the week, but even something minor that happen in the days before the race cause him to make some major mistake on the track?

This seems to be a pattern with that guy...anyone here watch the race...or follow F1 and have any opinion on the topic?

@mjd1001 Vettal will always be number 2 to Lewis Hamilton even though they both have the same amount of titles. And he might be lucky that Nico Rosberg retired or he might be number 3. He's too unpredictable. Plus, Mercedes has the car now. Mercedes' car is undoubtedly better than Ferrari's the past 3 years. Although Ferrari definitely caught back up this year.

I watch F1 at work a lot. It's always a 2 person race and the top 5 is always some mix of Hamilton, Vettal, Bottas, Räikkönen and Ricciardo. Oh, and Max Verstappen too. The Haas team has no shot and the Force India team has no shot. It just seems like if you don't drive for Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull your car can't compete regardless of how good the driver might be.

Is Chess a sport or a game?  What’s the difference?

I played a lot as a boy and was a good, not best, chess club player in high school.  I watched Fisher v. Spassky on television, following the analysis on a board in my house.  Consistent with who I am, I bought books and learned openings.  So many historical names, flairs, styles and cultures came together.  I was in the goulash.  There was Capablanca, Tal, Alekhine, Petrosian and Morphy.  Imposing black and white beards and scowls were juxtaposed with neatly combed hair and bow ties.  I saw sorcerers and bookkeepers, menace and mind.

A few weeks ago, I picked up my board, again.  I should say, I picked up my iPad.  I’m playing again, but oh, so, differently.  I finished a game with a woman from Turkey moments ago.  In my youth, that would’ve involved seven days, a passport, and airline tickets.  I’ve lost no appreciation and joy regarding the pleasures of days gone by.  I have developed same for the opportunities of today.  Turkey!

I won with the King’s Pawn Opening.  While I played in a totally modern way, I’m still old school in my bones.

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Is Chess a sport or a game?  What’s the difference?

I played a lot as a boy and was a good, not best, chess club player in high school.  I watched Fisher v. Spassky on television, following the analysis on a board in my house.  Consistent with who I am, I bought books and learned openings.  So many historical names, flairs, styles and cultures came together.  I was in the goulash.  There was Capablanca, Tal, Alekhine, Petrosian and Morphy.  Imposing black and white beards and scowls were juxtaposed with neatly combed hair and bow ties.  I saw sorcerers and bookkeepers, menace and mind.

A few weeks ago, I picked up my board, again.  I should say, I picked up my iPad.  I’m playing again, but oh, so, differently.  I finished a game with a woman from Turkey moments ago.  In my youth, that would’ve involved seven days, a passport, and airline tickets.  I’ve lost no appreciation and joy regarding the pleasures of days gone by.  I have developed same for the opportunities of today.  Turkey!

I won with the King’s Pawn Opening.  While I played in a totally modern way, I’m still old school in my bones.

It's a game because no athletic skill is involved.  Doesn't mean it's not difficult as hell though.

• Like (+1) 1

Man, my son has been beating me at chess since he was 7 years old(14 now). But he's strategically smart and I'm just plain dumb. Seriously, I can't win at Connect 4 either. But now it's getting to the point where he can beat his mother, and she's actually intelligent, so he might have something. He usually drops by chess club a couple days a week, and I'm sure he'll continue that this year. 

That said, not a sport. But definitely challenging.

I used to watch F1 when I could catch a  broadcast.  Back then virtually any form of racing caught my attention.  But we're talking the days of Senna, Mansell, and Prost. 

I almost never watch racing in any form any more, but the rare exception I do, it is F1.  Still appealing, but I don't have cable or satellite and haven't been motivated enough to seek it out online yet.

6 hours ago, ubkev said:

The Orioles are wearing braille jerseys on September 18th. As in all the wording will be printed in braille.

I'm so confused.

They’re auctioning the jerseys off with proceeds going to the blind community in Baltimore which is the largest in the country.