The other sports thread

Eleven

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The Cubs aren’t a forgone conclusion by any means... but you would also trade for him for the same reason you trade for any rental: you think it puts you over the top. In his case it’d cost a lot but he also increases your chances of winning a ton.

I don't think the percentage he increases your chance of winning a WS are comparable to what his cost is. Dude is hitting like .220. He's still a phenomenal player, but he's the face of the Nationals and likely getting a $400M contract next. His cost is going to be absolutely insane, I'd rather not pay that when he's having one of his worst years ever, just to have one of his worst seasons for 4 more months; there are other rentals out there for so much cheaper that are better alternatives 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

We gave up Tyler Austin and have made like 4 trades

Tyler Austin sucks at baseball and I don't have high expectations for a single one of those trades. 6 trades, by the way.

J.A. Happ - meh, he looked good Sunday

Zach Britton - meh, I guess he means more rest for the best bullpen in the league

Lance Lynn - he's sucked 3 out of 4 months this season

Tyler Austin couldn't beat out Greg Bird(who also sucks at baseball) and is hitting like sh!t here in Scranton. He's not a loss. Neither is Adam Warren, Billy McKinney, Chasen Shreve, Giovanny Gallegos, Caleb Frare, Brandon Drury, Cody Carroll, Josh Rogers or Dillon Tate. Big bag of nobodies for some ok talent. The Yankees aren't going for it. They are doing the one foot in, one foot out thing. They definitely aren't all in on a championship this year. It's trying to be a little better, but definitely don't give up any of our top 10 prospects for anything this year.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Mike Rizzo (Nats president) just released a statement saying they will not trade Harper

"I believe in this team!"

Sure ya do Mike! That's why you said you'd trade him yesterday then walked it back today after the world called you out for quitting on the season.

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

Tyler Austin sucks at baseball and I don't have high expectations for a single one of those trades. 6 trades, by the way.

J.A. Happ - meh, he looked good Sunday

Zach Britton - meh, I guess he means more rest for the best bullpen in the league

Lance Lynn - he's sucked 3 out of 4 months this season

Tyler Austin couldn't beat out Greg Bird(who also sucks at baseball) and is hitting like sh!t here in Scranton. He's not a loss. Neither is Adam Warren, Billy McKinney, Chasen Shreve, Giovanny Gallegos, Caleb Frare, Brandon Drury, Cody Carroll, Josh Rogers or Dillon Tate. Big bag of nobodies for some ok talent. The Yankees aren't going for it. They are doing the one foot in, one foot out thing. They definitely aren't all in on a championship this year. It's trying to be a little better, but definitely don't give up any of our top 10 prospects for anything this year.

The Red Sox traded for Ian Kinsler, are they going for it? How about the Astros who traded for Osuna who hasn't played a game this season? Your criteria for going for it seems like the only team that qualifies is the Dodgers

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The Red Sox traded for Ian Kinsler, are they going for it? How about the Astros who traded for Osuna who hasn't played a game this season? Your criteria for going for it seems like the only team that qualifies is the Dodgers

The Red Sox have a 5 game lead on the division, they're best player isn't hurt and their rotation is better. They don't need to do much. 

I think the Astros were just trying to get Giles off the team.

And the Dodgers are definitely going for it.

I don't think Cashman is doing a bad job. Like I said earlier, there are no trades to be made. The Yankees need another big starter. Severino has looked "not good" for almost 3 weeks. Tanaka is a mixed bag and CC is minutes away from social security (still love him)! Oh yeah, and I still hate Sonny Gray! Wish the Giants would have taken a nose dive so we could have tried for Bumgarner.

Let that 25-4 rout be a lesson to all of, umm, you people?  Someone?

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

That I’ll be his eighth manager in nine years? Yes, I strongly believe they never should have let Dusty go.

The correct approach would have been not to hire him in the first instance.  And I don't know whether you've gone wrong counting managers, years, or both.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Let that 25-4 rout be a lesson to all of, umm, you people?  Someone?

The correct approach would have been not to hire him in the first instance.  And I don't know whether you've gone wrong counting managers, years, or both.

He took over in 2009. Technically it’s fewer managers because one was just a three-game interim after Davey’s resignation. Acta, Riggleman, Johnson, Williams, Baker, Martinez. So not counting McClean I’d be number seven.

Either way it’s a really bad look.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He took over in 2009. Technically it’s fewer managers because one was just a three-game interim after Davey’s resignation. Acta, Riggleman, Johnson, Williams, Baker, Martinez. So not counting McClean I’d be number seven.

Either way it’s a really bad look.

The Nats have never really had that great manager.  Maybe Johnson I guess.

Now, back here on the homefront, we have a hockey team on its fifth coach in five years.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

The Nats have never really had that great manager.  Maybe Johnson I guess.

Now, back here on the homefront, we have a hockey team on its fifth coach in five years.

Dusty Baker is a damn good manager. Those before him seemed to get to the postseason and panic with debilitating decisions with the bullpen and beyond.

At some point Rizzo needed to really go for it. I know the Lerner’s are pathetic and cheap (see their refusal to pay for the assistant GMs life-saving treatment and how he turned to GoFundMe for help), but they had plenty of opportunities to add. Not to mention getting used by free agents and teams on big deals often (Cano, Fielder and Chris Sale are three big ones). Scherzer is a great, great deal. I’ll give him that. I don’t give him much credit on landing Trea Turner because that was clearly San Diego just being incredibly stupid. But beyond that I haven’t been impressed.

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Dusty Baker is a damn good manager. Those before him seemed to get to the postseason and panic with debilitating decisions with the bullpen and beyond.

At some point Rizzo needed to really go for it. I know the Lerner’s are pathetic and cheap (see their refusal to pay for the assistant GMs life-saving treatment and how he turned to GoFundMe for help), but they had plenty of opportunities to add. Not to mention getting used by free agents and teams on big deals often (Cano, Fielder and Chris Sale are three big ones). Scherzer is a great, great deal. I’ll give him that. I don’t give him much credit on landing Trea Turner because that was clearly San Diego just being incredibly stupid. But beyond that I haven’t been impressed.

Dusty Baker is a perfect example of a guy who can get you there if you give him all the talent in the world.  He was like that in San Francisco and Chicago too.  And he's one of the worst post-season managers of all time.  He's basically the antithesis of Joe Maddon.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Dusty Baker is a perfect example of a guy who can get you there if you give him all the talent in the world.  He was like that in San Francisco and Chicago too.  And he's one of the worst post-season managers of all time.  He's basically the antithesis of Joe Maddon.

Joe Maddon fell ass backwards into a WS that post season with the Cubs

Just now, Eleven said:

No he didn't; he developed a young team.  And look at what he did in Tampa with teams full of nobodies.

Yes, he did. He is a great regular season manager, he is an awful post season manager. His decision on Chapman, to pull Kendricks, to repetitively start Heyward...Joe Maddon is an abomination in the post season. That said, he is amazing in the regular season

43 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yes, he did. He is a great regular season manager, he is an awful post season manager. His decision on Chapman, to pull Kendricks, to repetitively start Heyward...Joe Maddon is an abomination in the post season. That said, he is amazing in the regular season

He made some questionable decisions during the WS but he is far from Dusty Baker level when it comes to the postseason.

Aside from big games with playoff implications, I think tonight's Texas Rangers win was the one I enjoyed the most. A very satisfying game. Congrats to Big Sexy Bartolo Colón as the winningest Latin American born pitcher in major league history.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bartolo-colon-becomes-winningest-latin-pitcher/c-289348986

cut.jpg