The other sports thread

Eleven

On 9/2/2018 at 10:46 AM, mjd1001 said:

Anyone here interested in or watch Formula one?

I have been a casual F1 fan for a few years, getting slightly more interested in the past 2-3 years (but still not an expert)

I got up early today and watched the Italian Grand Prix.  Maybe Sebastian Vettal is the most talented driver in racing (maybe he is not) but he doesn't seem to be the BEST driver...it seems to me he often makes major mistakes on the track that are caused by his emotions or mood. 

This morning he was very short and almost rude with the Sky sports reporter, and I read yesterday on some internet articles he was upset with his teammate or upset with SOMEONE but it was hard to tell just what he was upset with.  So on the first lap of the race from the 2nd postion, he gets overly aggressive trying to pass the other Ferrari on the first lap, and ends up causing an accident that does more damage to himself than anyone else.

It seems he tends to win races when everything goes his way during the week, but even something minor that happen in the days before the race cause him to make some major mistake on the track?

This seems to be a pattern with that guy...anyone here watch the race...or follow F1 and have any opinion on the topic?

On 9/2/2018 at 8:54 PM, Weave said:

I used to watch F1 when I could catch a  broadcast.  Back then virtually any form of racing caught my attention.  But we're talking the days of Senna, Mansell, and Prost. 

I almost never watch racing in any form any more, but the rare exception I do, it is F1.  Still appealing, but I don't have cable or satellite and haven't been motivated enough to seek it out online yet.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:39 AM, N S said:

To me Mario Andretti = Formula 1 Superstar.  That's it.

You gents might be interested in a movie from a few years ago called "Rush."  It's based on a true story about the rivalry between 2 F1 drivers in the 1970s -- a party animal Australian (played by Chris Hemsworth, a/k/a Thor) and an uptight Austrian.  It was directed by Ron Howard.  I thought it was excellent.

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

You gents might be interested in a movie from a few years ago called "Rush."  It's based on a true story about the rivalry between 2 F1 drivers in the 1970s -- a party animal Australian (played by Chris Hemsworth, a/k/a Thor) and an uptight Austrian.  It was directed by Ron Howard.  I thought it was excellent.

A+ movie

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

We saw it a few years ago when it was in the theater, and I agree it was really good.

My wife agreed to see it with me. She really knows NOTHING about auto racing (she knows who Jeff Gordon is and 'heard' the name Earnhardt before..but thats about it) and even she liked the movie a lot.

Edited by mjd1001

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Serena Williams is one of my favorite athletes ever.  I hated watching that.

Serena is amazing. I'm still glad for the kid. Naomi was working Serena side to side so well! I hated the warning for coaching and I hated the game penalty. I think Naomi had her without that.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Serena is amazing. I'm still glad for the kid. Naomi was working Serena side to side so well! I hated the warning for coaching and I hated the game penalty. I think Naomi had her without that.

Osaka definitely had that match, but the umpire's decisions are indefensible.  I just don't like watching Williams lose!

Edited by Eleven

On 9/9/2018 at 9:17 AM, Eleven said:

Osaka definitely had that match, but the umpire's decisions are indefensible.  I just don't like watching Williams lose!

I feel sorry for that kid.  She dominantly wins her first major but people are only talking about Serena.  But anyway, if they don't allow coaching, why don't they have a special seating area for the coaches where they can't be seen?  It would save us from the patriot-esque excuse of "yeah I was coaching, but everyone does it".

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I feel sorry for that kid.  She dominantly wins her first major but people are only talking about Serena.  But anyway, if they don't allow coaching, why don't they have a special seating area for the coaches where they can't be seen?  It would save us from the patriot-esque excuse of "yeah I was coaching, but everyone does it".

What's really coming to light is how differently the women are treated than the men in these situations.  

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What's really coming to light is how differently the women are treated than the men in these situations.  

Hey, remember when Jimmy Connors called the chair umpire an abortion?

Ok, ok, too far in the past?

Hey, remember every single game Nick Kyrgios plays currently.

Edited by ubkev

30 minutes ago, ubkev said:

By the time I was watching tennis, Connors had reformed.  We had McEnroe in those days, though.

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

By the time I was watching tennis, Connors had reformed.  We had McEnroe in those days, though.

Loved Johnny Mac! Lol. Andre was always my favorite player as he was my era of growing up in tennis. Martina Hingis was my favorite women's player. And then Venus and Serena happened and they changed everything.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Are they being treated differently simply because of this one instance or are there others out there?  I don't watch, but this is the first one to get big attention and it seems to be getting blown out of proportion.  The focus is going to fall on the official, but both people could have definitely done more to avoid the blow up.  At the end of the day, it's lost tempers in the middle of a lopsided tennis match.  I could understand the attention if it was a close match, but that's not what this was.

And it all goes back to my original thought.  If coaching really is such a big issue, throw them up in a box or something where they can't be seen.  It's so easy to avoid.  I guess they could put some middle man out there to pass along messages, but it would get far more difficult.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Are they being treated differently simply because of this one instance or are there others out there?  I don't watch, but this is the first one to get big attention and it seems to be getting blown out of proportion.  The focus is going to fall on the official, but both people could have definitely done more to avoid the blow up.  At the end of the day, it's lost tempers in the middle of a lopsided tennis match.  I could understand the attention if it was a close match, but that's not what this was.

And it all goes back to my original thought.  If coaching really is such a big issue, throw them up in a box or something where they can't be seen.  It's so easy to avoid.  I guess they could put some middle man out there to pass along messages, but it would get far more difficult.

This isn't even the only incident at this tournament.  Alize Cornet received a violation for turning her top around.  Meanwhile, men can sit on the bench topless:  https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/09/us/serena-williams-sexism-tennis-controversy/index.html

I've also seen several male tennis players comment that they get away with far more than the women do when it comes to addressing the umpire.  

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This isn't even the only incident at this tournament.  Alize Cornet received a violation for turning her top around.  Meanwhile, men can sit on the bench topless:  https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/09/us/serena-williams-sexism-tennis-controversy/index.html

I've also seen several male tennis players comment that they get away with far more than the women do when it comes to addressing the umpire.  

I did see the shirt change thing.  Do they have a rule about changing that on the court as opposed to on the bench? 

Were you watching live?  I feel like that has to be more to this than is being reported.  Were they disagreeing before it or were there any questionable calls?  Either way, I have a hard time finding much sympathy for players yelling at refs.  It never looks good.  I wish she'd admit she screwed up rather than try to take it to the next step.  You're not fighting for women's rights here, Serena.  You lost your temper at the wrong time, don't try to spin it into something other than what it really was.

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

I did see the shirt change thing.  Do they have a rule about changing that on the court as opposed to on the bench? 

Were you watching live?  I feel like that has to be more to this than is being reported.  Were they disagreeing before it or were there any questionable calls?  Either way, I have a hard time finding much sympathy for players yelling at refs.  It never looks good.  I wish she'd admit she screwed up rather than try to take it to the next step.  You're not fighting for women's rights here, Serena.  You lost your temper at the wrong time, don't try to spin it into something other than what it really was.

All players, male or female, are allowed to change their shirts at courtside.  Women have the option of going into a screened area if they'd prefer, but it is not at all required and the Open made a mistake.

I did watch the match live.  I'll watch any Williams final live any time I can!  I didn't see the initial violation.  The second violation, for smashing her racquet, was pure BS.  How many times have we seen tennis players do that?  Then the third, for arguing with the official, was also BS.  We've seen far worse that has not even been reprimanded.

This umpire had an agenda; he seemed like one of those baseball umps like Joe West who wanted to make the match about him.

But the article I cited, and a couple more that I've read on Apple News, have convinced me that Williams is right and that there is a disparity between the way men and women are treated on the court.  A man is "passionate"; a woman, "hysterical."

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

All players, male or female, are allowed to change their shirts at courtside.  Women have the option of going into a screened area if they'd prefer, but it is not at all required and the Open made a mistake.

I did watch the match live.  I'll watch any Williams final live any time I can!  I didn't see the initial violation.  The second violation, for smashing her racquet, was pure BS.  How many times have we seen tennis players do that?  Then the third, for arguing with the official, was also BS.  We've seen far worse that has not even been reprimanded.

This umpire had an agenda; he seemed like one of those baseball umps like Joe West who wanted to make the match about him.

But the article I cited, and a couple more that I've read on Apple News, have convinced me that Williams is right and that there is a disparity between the way men and women are treated on the court.  A man is "passionate"; a woman, "hysterical."

Carlos Ramos is the best umpire in the game. hes one of the very few Gold badge umpires. He's chaired seven grand slam finals, for both men and women, and the Olympic finals. He's the only current gold badge umpire to chair each of the four slams. He's also known as a hard ass. He's given similar conduct violations to numerous men, including Andy Murray (at the Olympics for calling him stupid) and Djokovic twice (17 at the French open for yelling at him, 18 for smashing his racket).

He gave  her a warning for a coaching violation. That's it. Just a warning. Her coach, by the way, ADMITTED he was trying to coach her. She received a second violation for smashing her racket, something Ramos has given men violations for. Her third violation was for verbally abusing him, something else he's given men violations for. The fact is, while being the greatest women's player of all time she's a poor loser who once told a line judge she was going to cram a ball down thier f*cking throat for calling a line violation on her. She acted horrible and took the attention from the woman who rightly deserved it by whooping her ass. I believe 100% that sexism exists in tennis. But yesterday, with Ramos, was not an example of it. Do some research before jumping on the sexism train and trashing the man's reputation. Shame on you.  

It's interesting that you call the racquet smash call BS (is it really spelled that way?  I may just start calling it a tennis stick instead).  Withe all of the coverage I've heard on this story, your comment is the first time I've heard anyone take issue with that one.

But anyway, I'm the guy who wants an automatic flag thrown the second any football player lobbies the refs for a penalty (so yeah, WRs).  So I typically don't have much sympathy for people complaining to refs/umps.  As I say it though, I realize that tennis is a bit of a different animal since it's an individual sport.

All I know is that I'm glad PC principal hasn't show up to label this as something completely different.

12 hours ago, Hank said:

Carlos Ramos is the best umpire in the game. hes one of the very few Gold badge umpires. He's chaired seven grand slam finals, for both men and women, and the Olympic finals. He's the only current gold badge umpire to chair each of the four slams. He's also known as a hard ass. He's given similar conduct violations to numerous men, including Andy Murray (at the Olympics for calling him stupid) and Djokovic twice (17 at the French open for yelling at him, 18 for smashing his racket).

He gave  her a warning for a coaching violation. That's it. Just a warning. Her coach, by the way, ADMITTED he was trying to coach her. She received a second violation for smashing her racket, something Ramos has given men violations for. Her third violation was for verbally abusing him, something else he's given men violations for. The fact is, while being the greatest women's player of all time she's a poor loser who once told a line judge she was going to cram a ball down thier f*cking throat for calling a line violation on her. She acted horrible and took the attention from the woman who rightly deserved it by whooping her ass. I believe 100% that sexism exists in tennis. But yesterday, with Ramos, was not an example of it. Do some research before jumping on the sexism train and trashing the man's reputation. Shame on you.  

Hank, cut it out with the high-handed "shame on you" nonsense.  You're about the last person I'm going to take something like that from.   I've done the research.  The article I linked to referred to two male players, each of whom stated that the women's game is handled differently than the men's game.  I've read several others on my phone, which I cannot link to.  And at no point did I say that Ramos was sexist; I said that he's a Joe West type who makes the match about him rather than about the players, while the game in general tends to treat women differently than men.  You do the research, or at least learn how to read.  Shame on yourself.

45 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's interesting that you call the racquet smash call BS (is it really spelled that way?  I may just start calling it a tennis stick instead).  Withe all of the coverage I've heard on this story, your comment is the first time I've heard anyone take issue with that one.

But anyway, I'm the guy who wants an automatic flag thrown the second any football player lobbies the refs for a penalty (so yeah, WRs).  So I typically don't have much sympathy for people complaining to refs/umps.  As I say it though, I realize that tennis is a bit of a different animal since it's an individual sport.

All I know is that I'm glad PC principal hasn't show up to label this as something completely different.

Fair enough.  You must have enjoyed the ref hurling Mittelstadt's helmet at him yesterday!

Edited by Eleven

To me, players should be punished with fines whenever they destroy equipment on the court or in the view of fans. It's childish and one of the few moments I will definitively say it's a poor influence and poor use of emotion.

However, it should never impact the result of your contest unless you're risking someone else's well being or equipment. Or if it's excessive (baseball players should be automatically ejected if they thrash the dugout).

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Hank, cut it out with the high-handed "shame on you" nonsense.  You're about the last person I'm going to take something like that from.   I've done the research.  The article I linked to referred to two male players, each of whom stated that the women's game is handled differently than the men's game.  I've read several others on my phone, which I cannot link to.  And at no point did I say that Ramos was sexist; I said that he's a Joe West type who makes the match about him rather than about the players, while the game in general tends to treat women differently than men.  You do the research, or at least learn how to read.  Shame on yourself.

Fair enough.  You must have enjoyed the ref hurling Mittelstadt's helmet at him yesterday!

You linked a cnn schill pushing a social justice agenda to get clicks. The infractions he called we're indisputable, they're in the rule book. Bitching about them equates to complaining about getting a speeding ticket when "everybody else speeds".  He had no discretion with handing out the penalties, that's indisputable. Can a ref throw a flag for a personal foul and say "well, he didn't hit the QBs head that hard, he just kinda brushed the top of his head as he was passing by so I'm only giving five yards instead of fifteen"?  No, he can not. And the penalties for a second and third infraction are spelled out in tennis. He had no discretion.  No, it's never happened before. No other player, man or woman, in the history of tennis, have ever been stupid enough to receive a third infraction in the same match! You can site all the examples you want from the 80s and 90s. They aren't relevant. Do you see John Mcenroe type blowups today? In the last five years? Is it possible that tennis, like every other form of society, is evolving? This was not the sexism teet to suckle on, it didn't happen. The infractions he gave to Serena he's given to male superstars. Maybe you just can't see clearly through your Serena tinted glasses. She lost her schit as she was getting her ass kicked as she's prone to do, that's all that happened here. If anything, the umpire DIDN'T treat her differently because she's a woman.  No, you're not ignorant, you're making an educated decision to be obtuse, and that's worse. Again, shame on you. 

1 minute ago, Hank said:

You linked a cnn schill pushing a social justice agenda to get clicks. The infractions he called we're indisputable, they're in the rule book. Bitching about them equates to complaining about getting a speeding ticket when "everybody else speeds".  He had no discretion with handing out the penalties, that's indisputable. Can a ref throw a flag for a personal foul and say "well, he didn't hit the QBs head that hard, he just kinda brushed the top of his head as he was passing by so I'm only giving five yards instead of fifteen"?  No, he can not. And the penalties for a second and third infraction are spelled out in tennis. He had no discretion.  No, it's never happened before. No other player, man or woman, in the history of tennis, have ever been stupid enough to receive a third infraction in the same match! You can site all the examples you want from the 80s and 90s. They aren't relevant. Do you see John Mcenroe type blowups today? In the last five years? Is it possible that tennis, like every other form of society, is evolving? This was not the sexism teet to suckle on, it didn't happen. The infractions he gave to Serena he's given to male superstars. Maybe you just can't see clearly through your Serena tinted glasses. She lost her schit as she was getting her ass kicked as she's prone to do, that's all that happened here. If anything, the umpire DIDN'T treat her differently because she's a woman.  No, you're not ignorant, you're making an educated decision to be obtuse, and that's worse. Again, shame on you. 

Oh. My. YOU CAN'T READ.  Or spell the word "shill," for that matter.

Edited by Eleven

I don't know what's going on in here but I really don't like Serena after that. Seemed like a really poor way to handle that, both during and after in the post-game speech. Poor girl she's playing against had to apologize to the fans for winning because she knew they all wanted Serena; then she had death threats on social media about it. 

On 9/10/2018 at 10:38 AM, ubkev said:

That's actually pretty funny

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Oh. My. YOU CAN'T READ.  Or spell the word "shill," for that matter.

I misspelled a word? Oh my, my self esteem is crushed. I read your posts. I quoted your posts. I commented on your posts. My reading comprehension is fine.