The other sports thread

Eleven

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

I misspelled a word? Oh my, my self esteem is crushed. I read your posts. I quoted your posts. I commented on your posts. My reading comprehension is fine. 

If you think I'm accusing Ramos of being sexist, your reading comprehension is way off.

If you think CNN is the only news outlet reporting on the fact that female tennis players are treated differently than male tennis players, you're out of your mind.

I'm done here.

Edited by Eleven

I think this conversation, such as it is, is crying out for some data on how this ump has treated men in similar situations, and how often he issues penalties relative to other umps.

If, as Hank is contending, he treats men in the same way he treated Serena, then the sexism charge is debunked (although the "shame on you" is way out of line).  And if the ump's usage of penalties is in line with that of other umps, then this really is a PC tempest in a teapot.

Just now, nfreeman said:

I think this conversation, such as it is, is crying out for some data on how this ump has treated men in similar situations, and how often he issues penalties relative to other umps.

If, as Hank is contending, he treats men in the same way he treated Serena, then the sexism charge is debunked (although the "shame on you" is way out of line).  And if the ump's usage of penalties is in line with that of other umps, then this really is a PC tempest in a teapot.

I'm not saying Ramos is sexist.  I haven't said that.  Anywhere.

Ramos's usage of penalties--with men as well as women--is not in line with that of other umps.

Women's tennis in general is umpired differently than men's tennis in general.

I'm not sure how these two discrete concepts are being conflated.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

If you think I'm accusing Ramos of being sexist, your reading comprehension is way off.

If you think CNN is the only news outlet reporting on this issue, you're out of your mind.

No where did I accuse you of claiming Ramos was sexist. Do you agree that what happened in that match had nothing to do with sexism?

14 hours ago, Hank said:

I believe 100% that sexism exists in tennis. But yesterday, with Ramos, was not an example of it. Do some research before jumping on the sexism train and trashing the man's reputation. Shame on you.  

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

No where did I accuse you of claiming Ramos was sexist. Do you agree that what happened in that match had nothing to do with sexism?

The hell you didn't.  Now you can't even comprehend your own words.

And yes I do agree that Ramos's ridiculous umpiring had nothing to do with sexism.

Edited by Eleven

Ramos's usage of penalties--with men as well as women--is not in line with that of other umps.

Because Serena and many media members are crying sexism. 

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And yes I do agree that Ramos's ridiculous umpiring had nothing to do with sexism.

You said the man had an agenda. That's what I was referring to when I said "trashing the man's reputation", I could have been more clear. You also said giving giving her an infraction was BS because you've see many players (men) do far worse. You implied sexism even if you didn't use the word. You implied it another time or two. Him giving her an infraction for arguing is actually in line with how he umpires a match, men or women. 

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

You said the man had an agenda. That's what I was referring to when I said "trashing the man's reputation", I could have been more clear. You also said giving giving her an infraction was BS because you've see many players (men) do far worse. You implied sexism even if you didn't use the word. You implied it another time or two. Him giving her an infraction for arguing is actually in line with how he umpires a match, men or women. 

Not buying it.  Have a good day.

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Of course not. You're pissed that your girl lost and your looking for anyone to blame but her, even in the face of irrefutable logic and reason, typical fanatic. 

On 9/9/2018 at 9:17 AM, Eleven said:

Osaka definitely had that match, but the umpire's decisions are indefensible.  I just don't like watching Williams lose!

Again.  Learn to read.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Let's tie a bow around this and move past it. We agree that Serena was out played, acted unprofessionally during the match and in the post match press conference, and cried sexism when it didn't occur? Yes?

No.  She was outplayed; shouldn't have been penalized for doing normal tennis player things during a tennis match because Ramos has an ego problem (and not a sexism problem); I didn't watch the presser so I can't comment; and a good portion of tennis world is complaining of sexism in the sport right now and has been doing so for weeks.

No.  She was outplayed; shouldn't have been penalized for doing normal tennis player things during a tennis match because Ramos has an ego problem (and not a sexism problem); I didn't watch the presser so I can't comment; and a good portion of tennis world is complaining of sexism in the sport right now and has been doing so for weeks.

Do you at least agree that sexism didn't play a role in this particular match?

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Now I know this one might be viewed as crazy, but men's and women's tennis are in fact different.  Saying that they're officiated differently is a bit of a broad statement, but doesn't it stand to reason that if the games are different, the officiating will vary as well?  This is one specific example where things probably should be called the same way in both fields, but I can picture there being several other scenarios that would be different.  Basically, the idea that the games are the same seems incredibly naive to me.

That said, I'm kind of surprised that they use the same set of officials for both.  I'd imagine that you can create a bit more consistency if you have a separate set of officials for each field.  The sexist claim disappears quickly if the same person doesn't call both.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Let's tie a bow around this and move past it. We agree that Serena was out played, acted unprofessionally during the match and in the post match press conference, and cried sexism when it didn't occur? Yes?

You keep changing the subject because you have an axe to grind. It's causing you to misread and fail to argue.

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

You keep changing the subject because you have an axe to grind. It's causing you to misread and fail to argue.

If you disagree with anything I posted, quote the post and make a counter argument. Let's discuss it. 

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

See? You keep pounding an argument that no one is having.  You continue to do it now.

Your full of schit. I asked you to have a discussion if there were posts of mine that you disagree with. That's a perfectly reasonable request. If not, cool, let's move on. 

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

How’s THAT for data.

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

I don't know what's going on in here but I really don't like Serena after that. Seemed like a really poor way to handle that, both during and after in the post-game speech. Poor girl she's playing against had to apologize to the fans for winning because she knew they all wanted Serena; then she had death threats on social media about it. 

Oh Lordy, can we please stop blaming the wrong people for social media lunatics?