The other sports thread

Eleven

Tony Stewart decided to do a little old school dirt track racing last night before the Watkins Glen race today, bumped another racer, and racer decided he needed to try to fight Tony's racecar. He lost.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-tony-stewart-kevin-ward-accident-20140810-story.html

"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."

I'm taking that quote with a big grain of salt. I won't watch the video of that incident but I cannot believe that Tony Stewart would hit him intentionally.

I can't either, but everyone is accusing him of kicking the back end of the car out on purpose. We'll find out soon enough what investigators think.

Deadspin has video, but it's not very clear. That said, Tony's car doesn't appear to have the back end kicked out when the car strikes the other driver.

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I can't either, but everyone is accusing him of kicking the back end of the car out on purpose. We'll find out soon enough what investigators think.

Deadspin has video, but it's not very clear. That said, Tony's car doesn't appear to have the back end kicked out when the car strikes the other driver.

http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

Are you familiar with Sprint cars? They are direct drive, no clutch. And don't run well at low speed. When going around the track at low speed the drivers need to goose the throttle periodically to keep the vehicles running. And the part you quoted about the cars kicking sideways when you do is correct. They are purposely set up to kick sideways under throttle to assist drifting through left hand turns. Tony may very well have hit the throttle as he approached the other driver. I can't see it being malicious. I'm not even sure it would be negligent on the part of Stewart. Fer cryin out loud, this guy was a local, could they even have a history to warrant ill will? I can't see it.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't race today; that's up to him. But I'll say there's no way I could do it. I'd be too messed up.

EDIT: Just heard a report on the radio that he has decided not to race.

Edited by Eleven

Are you familiar with Sprint cars? They are direct drive, no clutch. And don't run well at low speed. When going around the track at low speed the drivers need to goose the throttle periodically to keep the vehicles running. And the part you quoted about the cars kicking sideways when you do is correct. They are purposely set up to kick sideways under throttle to assist drifting through left hand turns. Tony may very well have hit the throttle as he approached the other driver. I can't see it being malicious. I'm not even sure it would be negligent on the part of Stewart. Fer cryin out loud, this guy was a local, could they even have a history to warrant ill will? I can't see it.

Why do they even let him race, though. It would be like an NFLer going back home and being allowed the play for his high school team.

Why do they even let him race, though. It would be like an NFLer going back home and being allowed the play for his high school team.

If you had a chance to have an NHL player take a spot in your beer league game, you'd turn it down?

He absolutely shouldn't race. Out of respect of the investigation, the driver he killed (purposely or not, his reckless driving took another man's life), and the driver's family. I think he should be suspended for the rest of the year regardless of intent. If it's found to be on purpose then it will matter not because we'll never see Tony Stewart again.

I think any assumptions that he wouldn't do it on purpose are silly. Why does he have apologists already? Because he drives a racecar and is known for a bad temper? That doesn't make much sense. Innocent until proven guilty, I guess.

Edited by Tankalicious

This is no different than when you hear a story of a person jumping over the lion fence, petting a lion, and then getting attacked by the lion. Who would blame the lion? It's clear who was reckless, and it wasn't the racecar driver racing on a racetrack.

Sure, the kid had a hand in this. I think that racing leagues need to put mandatory fines and/or suspensions for those who exit their car and approach others. However, Stewart is a professional who knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Maybe he did not intend to hit him, but instead just startle him, but his reckless actions took a life. Period.

It's not like Stewart is considered an even-tempered man who can easily keep his emotions under control.

(Comparing humans to lions is also pretty weak. Lions are aggressive animals who are known to attack when confronted... Humans are supposed to be more than beasts)

Edited by Tankalicious

Sure, the kid had a hand in this. I think that racing leagues need to put mandatory fines and/or suspensions for those who exit their car and approach others. However, Stewart is a professional who knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Maybe he did not intend to hit him, but instead just startle him, but his reckless actions took a life. Period.

It's not like Stewart is considered an even-tempered man who can easily keep his emotions under control.

(Comparing humans to lions is also pretty weak. Lions are aggressive animals who are known to attack when confronted... Humans are supposed to be more than beasts)

…Somethin' about making assumptions,… or somethin'.

…Somethin' about making assumptions,… or somethin'.

You're right. I shouldn't go as far as to say that he knew what he was doing. I will stand by the concept that he acted recklessly. The kid did, too, but Stewart acted recklessly with a loaded gun.

All your doing is making assumptions and jumping the gun. Stop acting like you know what people were thinking. Also I didn't compare lions to humans. I compared going into a lion den to standing in a middle of an active racetrack. So I don't think my analogy is weak at all. Both are putting yourself into incredibly dangerous situations for no reason.

Darwin baby!!!

You're right. I shouldn't go as far as to say that he knew what he was doing. I will stand by the concept that he acted recklessly. The kid did, too, but Stewart acted recklessly with a loaded gun.

Again, we don't know if this is true, I mean, other than he is a race car driver on a racetrack.

How much of the incident can be filed under "it's part of the game"? Do the participants accept a certain amount of risk and are the participants immune to prosecution? No one would want Zdeno Chara charged with murder if he killed someone in a boarding incident. OK, bad example. Tyler Myers.

The tracks love these stars coming to these events. Its a huge promotional oportunity for events that generally are barely financially viable.

How much of the incident can be filed under "it's part of the game"? Do the participants accept a certain amount of risk and are the participants immune to prosecution? No one would want Zdeno Chara charged with murder if he killed someone in a boarding incident. OK, bad example. Tyler Myers.

You absolutely accept risk. At all levels of motorsport. You do what you can safety wise to reduce incidents that might be preventable. But you can't control people.

This guy would probably be alive right now if he'd have bothered to think about what he was doing.