The other sports thread

Eleven

So the World Series has been fun. Watched game 2 from the 7th on instead of the third period of the Columbus game. Kinda rooting for Houston. Until Gurriel did the "pull my eyes into a slant while shouting racial slurs at the Asian pitcher" routine. Now, those guys.

Go Dodgers.

Verlander and McCann finally get their rings. 

And you get this

kate-upton-cat-daddy.gif

Don't forget that likely HOF Carlos Beltran finally gets a ring after 20 years.

Well deserved since his career postseason stats are: .307/.412/.609 with 66 hits, 15 doubles, a triple, 16 homers, 42 RBI, 45 runs, 11 stolen bases and 37 walks against 33 strikeouts

I don't know if it's recency bias, but that world series was one of the most consistently entertaining ones I can think of. Every game had drama, and I would posit that Game 5 was one of the best WS games of all time. Yep that's right.

Also, glad the Astros won as they are a non-traditional market with some nice emotions around winning in Houston this year. I also like the way they built their team with Correa, Bregman, Altuve etc.

As a Rangers fan, the Astros are probably their biggest rival.  That said, although it gets ugly between the two teams at times, there's also a lot of respect between the players on the teams, almost like they're the Texas siblings of the AL.  So when the Astros got all the way to the WS, they were clearly the team I wanted to win.  The Dodgers used to be my favorite team, but that goes back 30 years when I actually lived there, and I haven't kept up since the Kirk Gibson gimpy home run.  But seeing them play against the Rangers something like 20 games every year, I'm pretty familiar with the team.  Altuve is a player I can't stand to play against, but that's because he's good.

Well let's hope the Rangers can get back there.  They had their chances a few years ago and all they got was the nickname "The Buffalo Bills of the AL."

The Astros took out the 3 highest payrolls in MLB this year in the playoffs. The Red Sox, the Yankees and the Dodgers. 3 of the most storied teams in MLB history.

It was a coming out party for guys like Altuve, Correa, Springer and Bregman. It was a joke that Judge of the Yankees was the popular choice for MVP of the league over Altuve. For you numbers guys the best wRc in MLB history are the 27' Yankees, 30' Yankees, 31' Yankees and the 2017 Astros. Suck on that Eleven. 

Another awesome note on this series was a Sports Illustrated predicted the Astros would win in 2014 the last year they played less than .500 baseball, I think they lost 91 games that year.

Became a fan of the Astro's the first full year I was in Houston in 78' when I went to the game in what was the original Astrodome. I thought it was the greatest baseball stadium I ever was in. It had this giant scoreboard that had a rodeo rider on a bull, 10 years later I worked with the guy who built the scoreboard, pretty cool, I know his son also. Another cool note is Brian Duff is a big time Astro fan too.

Edited by jsb

Another awesome note on this series was a Sports Illustrated predicted the Astros would win in 2014 the last year they played less than .500 baseball, I think they lost 91 games that year.

That was pretty incredible, especially since there's an alleged curse of athletes being on the SI cover.  Funny that it was Springer on the cover (if I recall correctly) and he was the Series MVP.