The other sports thread

Eleven

Wonder how long the Redskins hold out

Logically we shouldn't stop there.

Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins, Florida St. Seminoles, KC Chiefs are all native american based mascots that have derogatory images as mascots/logos. Who decides what is acceptable or not?

A caricature of the point:

1272309558-chief-wahoo-cartoon.jpg

Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins, Florida St. Seminoles, KC Chiefs are all native american based mascots that have derogatory images as mascots/logos. Who decides what is acceptable or not?

Do NA's find it offensive? I really don't know. 

I follow a fair amount of Native American people and activists on twitter- yeah, they're wholly on the side of getting rid of ol' Wahoo. It's the most visually offensive logo in major sports. The name isn't as bad as "Redskins", but the logo- yeah, Wahoo should be relegated to the history books. 

Not totally focused on sports but a documentary about native representation in movies and the entertainment biz in general- watch Reel Injun. It was on Netflix, not sure if it still is. I've plugged it here before. If I remember correctly, it touches on Wahoo and the Chief Illini (university of illinois) pregame show, etc. 

The Seminole tribe has authorized Florida State to use its name, so there's that one taken care of.

What is offensive about the Chiefs logo?  (Or is there a mascot that I'm not aware of?)

Locally (WNY) the Lancaster Redskins had a big debate a few years back to see if they should change their name. Seems they finally changed it to the "Lancaster Legends" since then.

The use of Native American imagery in sports has been a topic that has come up fairly often in the last decade after being used continuously with little debate prior to that.

The Seminole tribe has authorized Florida State to use its name, so there's that one taken care of.

What is offensive about the Chiefs logo?  (Or is there a mascot that I'm not aware of?)

Thought I had heard that somewhere. Probably because their's look warrior-like, instead of like a cartoon

il_340x270.640782192_7cvy.jpg

chief-wahoo-cleveland-indians-rule.jpg?w

Edited by Jokertecken

Locally (WNY) the Lancaster Redskins had a big debate a few years back to see if they should change their name. Seems they finally changed it to the "Lancaster Legends" since then.

The use of Native American imagery in sports has been a topic that has come up fairly often in the last decade after being used continuously with little debate prior to that.

It was a pretty hot topic 25 years ago.  Maybe that depends on where you are.  At the time, I lived in Oklahoma.

I just listed the Native American based ones I could think of. By no means am I saying that all mascots/logos are created equally. There is probably nothing wrong with the Seminoles and Chiefs, but as a 30 yr old white male from Buffalo, who am I to judge that?

It was a pretty hot topic 25 years ago.  Maybe that depends on where you are.  At the time, I lived in Oklahoma.

It came to my attention during the Washington Redskins name controversy in 2013/2014. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/09/03/daniel-snyder-on-the-redskins-name-controversy-the-truth-is-on-our-side/)

And like I said, locally the same conversation happened within the last 5 years in Lancaster.

I just listed the Native American based ones I could think of. By no means am I saying that all mascots/logos are created equally. There is probably nothing wrong with the Seminoles and Chiefs, but as a 30 yr old white male from Buffalo, who am I to judge that?

It came to my attention during the Washington Redskins name controversy in 2013/2014. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/09/03/daniel-snyder-on-the-redskins-name-controversy-the-truth-is-on-our-side/)

And like I said, locally the same conversation happened within the last 5 years in Lancaster.

Sorry if I came off as argumentative; I was genuinely curious as to whether the Chieves have a mascot since I don't think the arrowhead logo is offensive.  But, as you said, as an I'm not telling you my age white male from Buffalo, who am I to judge the logo?

My main client just came after me this evening with this. He's very culturally right wing. He was like "DID YOU SEE THIS? WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE OVER SENSITIVE IDIOTS THESE DAYS? IT'S SUCH A GREAT LOGO! PEOPLE SUCK" and I'm like... yeah... I'm on the other side of that argument... I explained why, some good examples (FSU Seminoles), what native americans I know think of it, etc. 

he hasn't spoken to me since. But he should know by now that I'm an upstate new york liberal bleeding heart snowflake bi art girl so... 

I'm waiting for him to come back with the Fighting Irish "slippery slope" argument actually! 

Sorry if I came off as argumentative; I was genuinely curious as to whether the Chieves have a mascot since I don't think the arrowhead logo is offensive.  But, as you said, as an I'm not telling you my age white male from Buffalo, who am I to judge the logo?

No worries man. If that's what constitutes an argument, then maybe we are turning into the snowflake generation. :lol:

Like I said I know a small handful of people that have an emotional reaction to this announcement, but for everyone else the emotions seem to range from apathy to empathy for this particular cause.